• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshaff

displayname
Steve Shaff
Those old Prestolite batteries are pretty neat. On a related note I'm always hoping to find more sets of the original style mower blades for the 38" and 42" cast end decks that are in new or very good condition...the wing tips were different than more recent replacements and the cutting edge wasn't angled off like the newer ones. These are very hard to find now, but I did manage to buy a few from Lew P a couple years ago.

It's OTS ain't it!
biggrin.gif

So the 12 series is growing.
Snagged a 1512D today.
326026.jpg

326027.jpg

Charlie, sweet! I finally got some time to work on my AC 620. Got the carburetor and fuel pump cleaned up. Now I just need to get the gasket kit for the carb and the rebuild kit for the fuel pump and I can hopefully get it running good again.
happy.gif

Charlie, I know, I'm getting it ready for you. Kind of hard to move the beast without it running...

For those not running a cover like Charlie pictured below (or something similar) on your Diesel, get the (+) post covered!!! They are way too close to the hood and WILL short to the hood under the right circumstances. I've seen them "welded" together.....

Also, nice documentation of the factory supplemental ground strap installation on the diesel units. (I assume that's a high CCA battery as well...)

Steve,
Need some clarification- you mentioned before that a 2000 series is what I should be looking for if I wanted to put a Command engine in 982 - so any 2100 or 2200 model should be a direct bolt in? Space wise under good will be good and can keep side panels on the 982? What about wiring and fuel tank etc - any mods needed?

Mike P.-

Pretty much everything in my 1872 thread regarding the Command install will also pertain to your 982.

So found a 2206 and a 2185 for sale - was going to have a look at them. Perhaps grab both so would have a smaller engine for the 782 to get ride of the worn out KT-17 it currently has in it. Anything i should be looking for other than the fact that they run and aren't leaking or knocking. Also wondering, would the power steering work off these on the 82 series tractors?

Those are both basically the same tractor. The only difference that I have been able to find between the 18 and 20 hp is a throttle stop on the carb on the 18 that is not there on the 20. Both engines are otherwise physically identical.

Neither tractor has power steering.

So they would be the same engine as what you used in your re-power? The clutch going to be the same for a 5/8" belt to drive mower deck?

The 582 tractors with the opposing L head Briggs engines.... What are some of the common problems with them and how long do they usually last?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim S.-

Halfway decent engine, but not the quality of a Kohler. Dumb starter and carb, and really overcomplicated throttle linkage. How long it lasts will largely depend on how it was used and cared for.

Mike P.-

Same engine as I used. My donor machine was a 2185. PTO clutch on both of those is going to be 6" vs. ~4.5" on the 82 series. An earlier PTO clutch will kind of fit, but the crankshaft is about 3/8" shorter than a CC-spec KT17 or M18. So far I'm getting away with this, but the clutch hangs off the end of the crank a bit. I made a very precise spacer to put in there to help, but I'm still not sure it's going to last. Will be a huge effort to change attachments over to the 6" clutch.

FWIW, the 3000 series tractors with the Commands and the vacuum clutch have about the exact same crank dimensions as the KT and Magnum.

Back