• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim did you get the 582 on Madison C-list with the creeper?

Brian,

I did not know there was one on Craig's list in the Madison area.

Just want to know more about the engine in case I do find one.
happy.gif

582 has 656cc Briggs.....surprisingly torquey and smooth. Aside from the carb being a bit annoying, not a bad motor.

I've had 2ea and they both were great motors after I rebuilt the carbs. Cold blooded if not run in some time.

Ok so how are the decks driven on a 2000 series? Off the front of the engine like the Mags? So the pullies are not interchangeable? So if i go with Command from 2000 series, attachment use will very likely be hampered. And as far as different drive belt length, that would be a PIA to find a quality one?

Get a Command with the same size crank and your clutch will go right on...

Matt and Steve,

Can you elaborate more on the carb and starter?

Also, I see from the parts look up this engine has exhaust seals. Do these ever go bad?

326054.jpg

326055.jpg

326056.jpg

326057.jpg

Some pics from the one I rebuilt. I never had any starter issues. Exhaust gaskets shouldn't be an issue. Carb is one of the more complicated Briggs designs, down draft, concentric, and incorporates the Briggs vacuum pulse fuel pump (makes them a SOB to rebuild, and cold blooded starters if they sit for a long time). I also had to replace an ignition module on one (on the way to a plow day at Travis's!!!)

BUT......it's a stout little motor that runs out nice when tuned well.

Post Rebuild.....kinda wish I still had this one....
sad.gif

326059.jpg

326060.jpg

326061.jpg

Jim,

Starter has a plastic bendix gear, which stripped on mine. Seems like a stupid thing to be made of plastic. Mine was a 580, a bit newer, and may not have had cast iron sleeves. I had to rebuild the carb, and I was glad to have the service manual to put that back together.

2ea 782's and a 582......2007
your_image.gif

Back