• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 28, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wyatt, just be careful with it. From watching your videos it might be capable of flipping backwards if you get a bit enthusiastic with the hydrostatic lever.
Shift.gif
icon_eek.gif
You might want to add wheelie bars.
happy.gif

Wyatt, No fair comparing this rebuild with the Wheatland. You didn't move twice during this Project!

HiDE the price list you made. Only keep receipts in a box hidden in a corner of the shop. If the CFO finds the total price, bad things could happen.

When I built my Killer Kohler K321 I started adding up receipts, when I got over $1200 I put everything in a box and hid it.

First plowing shakedown could be called flawless, save for the PTO clutch that mysteriously decided to smoke itself despite being present for the first 22 hours on the hourmeter and never being engaged.

Here's one of the videos at a lower RPM. The engine seems to shrug off most any loads, so long as you stay just off idle. https://youtu.be/287P4nSS3bk

I need to check the pressures on the hydro; it seems as if the hydro transmits more power from 2500 to 3000 engine RPM than it does from 3000 on up. I'm suspecting that I've got a relief valve (be it charge pump or drive pump) that is prematurely relieving pressure.

54 Hours now on the clock.
317287.jpg

317288.jpg

Stroker kit along with re-jetting the carb has proven to be awesome power! Just recently blasted and repainted a Haban blade to wear this winter.

Starting this winter may be a trick. The factory starter isn't real happy cranking a 10:1 engine while it's warm. The two solutions would be to go up to a thick copper head gasket or to figure out if it's permissible to "deck" the pistons. It's much easier to add compression than take it away.

The other gremlin I've fought is that the engine ran VERY hot. The new Kohler Command I started with had a stationary grass screen as well as one attached to the flywheel. It was very hard to keep good oil pressure at those temps, even with 20W-50 oil. Removing the stationary screen has helped quite a bit, however I don't think it's yet running cool enough. My next step will be adding an oil cooler with a fan (thermal switch, just like the hydro).

The hydro fan has worked exceedingly well, as has the infamous JD driveshaft. Considering the torque I'm putting to it I couldn't ask for better performance.

Mowing with it has gone from being R&D to just everyday use now. I've had it out plowing, but nothing with the half-mile duration that it'll see at Plow Day.

I've added an Original headlight (McCormick 715 Combine light) to the rear end. That with the H3 halogen bulbs up front make it handy for finishing up yard work past dusk in the 7:30-8:00 time of evening this time of year.

OH... and one of these days in the near future, be on the lookout for a CAT0 Kverneland plough I'm building. 16" with a looong European board!

You get the darndest looks out the windows from folks when they think they hear a Harley moving snow.
318809.jpg

Our 682 with a blown head gasket sounds kind of dieselish.
happy.gif

Wyatt, regarding the weak starter issue, the originals used on many Command twins were pretty inept. The later revisions are much more stout. It is the same starter used on the 999 cc Kohler and will wheel it over fine. Kohler # escapes me but I can assure that it will crank like never before.

Back