• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 27, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Tim and Kraig,
Here's the aftermarket version.
326009.jpg

Charlie,
thumbsup.gif

I see I just missed getting bit by the archive bug.
biggrin.gif

<center>
326011.gif
<font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . .</font></center>

<center><font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . . . . . . . . </font>
Shotgun.gif
</center>

Thank you Digger. This changes things a bit. I had that terminal grounded. I have 4 terminals L, F, BAT and this one that you say is GEN. I was assuming L was GEN. Can you please tell me how I wire this? I have 3 wires (4 if you count ground).

F is Field, BAT is Battery, and GEN is generator. Hook those up like the diagram that was posted on the previous page, and ignore the L terminal.

"L" was "Load" and in other applications would have been used to power lights, etc.

Thanks guys. For some reason I can see the diagram that was referenced. Also, Which terminals do I short if I need to polarize it? Thanks again!

So the Mag 20 I re-powered my 982 with a few years ago is sick and not sure if should be spending money on repairing it? Governor gear is gone on it, so cost of tearing it down, parts, and the unknown of what else may be wrong with it or needing replaced...... yikes!

Wondering if should be considering a D600 or D640 engine instead of putting money into the Mag? What all is involved with installing them into a 982? Imagine a new drive shaft proper length and angle to hydro and some new wiring and maybe a good mounting bracket for the rad....

Anyone ever do this yet? What other issues did you run into?

Mike,

1) If everything else is OK on your Mag 20, then a Gov. gear gasket kit and 2 evenings will have it back in the game.

2) Adding a Kubota to a 982 is a HUGE undertaking. You will need donor engine cradle along with radiator, etc., new fuel tank, new wiring, battery tray, new throttle cable, key switch, (actually most of the dash accessories are different). Possibly drive shaft. Without a diesel donor tractor you would be spending a lot of time finding individual parts. Diesel swaps are more like frame swaps....you swap the frame out from under the diesel components. Easier to just find a diesel and sell your roller 982....

I'd try to replace the gov gear in the Mag......not out anything to tear it down, especially if it is still running as it should, just with no gov. control. I've been into several and they are easy enough to work on.....

BEST outcome is probably a Command swap out of a 2000 series Cub.......that is basically bolt on....just need to find a donor 2000 series.

Mike,

BTW, since it's OTF, got any nice pics of your slick 3688??? (Sharp tractor, especially with the new Firestones!)

Steve,
I have a G1700 Kubota as a donor , wasn’t wanting to use it if possible - was hoping to put it in my 782 some day???
So if I replace the gear, is there a downloadable service manual to undertake that job? Correctly that is! I know the gear is $85.00 from dealer. Complete gasket kit for engine is over $200.00. I guess what I’m wondering is do you normally have to completely stop engine down - Chang crank bearings and remove the heads and valves ? Never had one apart so really not sure what all is involved. Dealer told me I’d spoil about $1,000.00 to have them do it! Crap! I don’t think it’s worth putting that much into the engine???

Cub Cadet engine frame and radiator support are all special items......need a Cub Cadet Donor

Don’t have any good pics on this phone Steve - need to spend more time taking pictures than working!

Ok, will check out mail when home. Playing with trucks today! Appreciate the info on swap, doesn’t look as cut and dry as I had hoped!

Start comparing parts diagrams on the CC parts site.......differences start to show up quick....

Charlie,

What's the significance of this battery? I have heard of that brand, but haven't seen one.
Is it an old battery that IH used to put in cubs?

Back