• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 27, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Jeremiah, that was a cool modifacation, I like how the muffler sounds and how it is mounted at a right angle to the engine on my 169.

Well I will ad my muffler work from yet another very long night at work

welded then cleaned and painted with high heat paint.

287911.jpg

287912.jpg

287913.jpg

287914.jpg

Hello,
Can anyone explain why the suction tube on the earlier hydros loops up over the hydro unit as opposed to simply making a right angle like later tubes and replacement tubes?

Thanks

Jeff, looks great!

Where (or what) do you do for a living working so late without any actual work to do?

Thanks guys, trying to get the mower up to snuff then back to the 149 loader with a little time devoted to TLC to the 169.

Nic as for you other question,
shhh.gif

Will, my understanding is that IH thought they needed the loop for cooling. After they realized it wasn't needed they simplified it to save cost.

Jeremiah - hey it's looking pretty good there. Any chance you can make a video for use to see/hear? I didn't realize the muffler had the long tube exhaust pipe coming out of it. I like the idea of the exhaust being a bit farther away from the sides of the tractor.

Jeff - just what the heck are you doing? You got a job that pays you to work on your Cub Cadets? By the way, I would add a short extension on exhaust pipe outlet - not a chrome tip either.

Will Q and Kraig, Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - just to supplement Kraig's info which I had also heard, IH saved even more cost when they changed to a single right angle (curved) tube for the Quiet Lines, instead of the 2 tube pieces used with a right angle fitting on the 1x9 series. However, in my opinion the style used on the 1x9 series is better and easier to disconnect. Almost ever Quiet Line tube I've seen seems to have the tubing dented or bent at the right angle and once that happens removal and re-installation is harder, even tho that tubing is actually pretty thin.

Harry: Like you, I was surprised at how much longer the Noise Suppression muffler seemed and wondered how it compared with yours. I rifled through my files and came up with a shot you had shared earlier.

287926.jpg

Also, the Noise Suppression Muffler made by Nelson and available from CC Specialties (or at least it was available at the time I ordered it --pre-devastation / rebuild) does not have the same dimensions as the muffler found in the Model 169 originally, as Kraig documented:

287927.jpg

Jeff: I'm wondering if you're planning to update your muffler hanging arrangement on your 108?(see below). If you do, I can send you some unpublished fabrication details (I didn't tell everything I knew / found out).

287928.jpg

Edit 1: All, the elbow shown in the photo of Jeff's 108 is replaced in the kit with a very short pipe nipple. I cut one about 1/4" past the threads and it's working fine, that is, just the threads "and a little bit more" are enough to secure the muffler to the head.

Edit 2: Harry, I'm working on the final "reveal."

Everyone was talking about having a 123 chassis sitting around ,, I also have a 123 minus the motor.. Not that anyone in here really cares !! lol Always wanted to get a motor for it and get it running , its in pretty good shape

Jeremiah, I remember that 108, the motor with proper engine tin and exhaust mounting is in a 129 making it my 109, the hood is on my parts shelf. the seat pan was put to rest and the rolling chassis went to wisconsin to become a pulling tractor.

Hey all...Had the 122 and 1864 out the other day and snapped a quick pic to share.
287945.jpg

Jeremiah - I'm sure waiting for the final reveal. Can you post the length and diameter of the main can of your muffler. Also, the lenth of the long outlet pipe on yours and I'll check mine. The muffler's in that picture where you say Kraig documented the difference, - well the rusty one isn't a 169 muffler. It must be an original noise suppression version for the 10-14hp engines cause it has the curved inlet and the 169's have a staight inlet as shown in Jeff's pic.

The muffler I have on my 169 is a hybrid for something else. Although it has the curved inlet the length and the main can are the dimensions of the original 169 version which is larger than the dimensions of the 10-14hp version like you have. If we can get your dimensions, mine and Jeff's then we'll know the differences.

Jeff - is it to late for you to measure the main can of your 169? Length and diameter. And the length of your stubby outlet pipe as well? I should'a asked when you posted your pics of it.

(I assume I have everyone pretty well confused now but if we get Jermiah's can dimensions, and Jeff's can dimensions, and then my can dimensions - well we'll know who has the biggest can
biggrin.gif

Ron G - looks like a pretty nice 122 there. Can't speak to the other thing sitting next to it - don't they call those cylops or something cause of that one big headlight?

Harry...Thanks for the comment on the 122. Yes the "other thing" (1864) they refer to as a cyclops as far as I know, even though its has 2 headlights but 1 big lens.

Harry the actaul can measures 12 and half inchs long and the outlet pipe is about 1 and a qaurter inch long. no time to load pictures.

OK, Harry (and others) I've learned to edit and upload videos to the Internet. Here is a link (I think) to a 13 second video of my 149 with the muffler installed running at idle and at full throttle (no load):

Jeremiah's NS Muffler

Edit: Harry, I think in August 2013 you had figured out the muffler dimensions were the same.

Kieth:...I fixed one of mine that was cracked like yours. Vaery carefully welded it back up which resulted in lots of weld build up around the pipe.

It lasted for a time but then just cracked further out away from thr 1st repair to the point where it got into the crimp for the end cap. It's pretty well junk now. That was last fall when I decided to build my own using a piece of 5" big truck exhaust for a can. Final result there was acceptable (to me anyhow) but HEAVY!! So I added a brace to the block where the aluminum frame fastens.

Jeremiah - I don't remember deciding the 10-14hp noise suppression mufflers cans were the same size as the original 169 muffler. I also did a search back to Aug and don't find a post discussing that BUT my search powers are really poor. I'm gonna check my can dimensions tonite to see if they are the same as Jeff's. I do have some recollection of checking mine against an original 169 muffler way way back in time, and they were the same. I just thought the 10-14 version was smaller in diameter.
Now, I viewed your video and had to immediately turn down my sound. I don't know about Jeff's ears but to me the engine itself sounds good. I would have thought it would be quieter. HOWEVER, I'm worried your idle speed is set to fast, and your full throttle is over 3600rpms as well. Sounds to me like your idle is about 1500 and full throttle closer to 3900+. Have you checked them?

Back