• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 26, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloughery

displayname
George Loughery
Thanks David, there is a sleeve that goes over the bolt (caliper spacer) that sets the space between the calipers, also under the spring. The whole assembly is loose on the bracket and I'm thinking shims, but these parts aren't flimsy sheet metal and should fit better than this.

Well, I finally got some time to start on my 127 project yesterday. I bought it early this spring, running, but needing some love.

I got the nose off, motor pulled(only had ONE bolt holding it in) and the front axle out of it. The pin is actually pretty nice but the axle was sloppy. I'm going to rebush it and either make/buy new pin. The frame holes are still tight and not damaged so there is no need to cut/weld on new ones. It worked out pretty easy once the engine was out I was able to just lift the nose up(by hand) and prop it up on the rear hitch to work on the front axle. The rear tires are flat so it doesn't roll away.

The throttle shaft is really loose on the carb, so that needs some attention. It does run, but will need some tune up parts thrown at it.

It needs four new tires as they are cracked BAD and the front are mis-matched sizes They do hold air, but not real well. I got extra rims so they will get blasted/paint first.

Once the front axle gets done and installed I'm going to clean/paint engine. The frame doesn't look bad except for all the oil mess. I don't really want to get into complete disassembly/paint right now. Clean but in "working clothes" is good for me. I took a few pictures yesterday, but need to get them downloaded and resized for posting here.

Now that I learned the tricks I will get the 127 ready for service so I can do some maintenance on my 149 front axle.

David S,

I took the hydraulic unit off of a 122 that I had, and it had the shims on it.
I was just wondering if it would go on my 100 if I followed the directions in the manual.

Larry K.-

You might consider squeezing the axle channel to tighten it up once again. They actually spread from use over the years. I have a 3/4" fine thread bolt just long enough to go through the channel and this is how I squeeze mine. Just don't squeeze too much.

hi guys i have a 1a tiller on a cubcadet 122 and i keep having the pto clutch pop of the tractor the set screws are tight and the belt is tight what should i look for

Marty, I don't see why it would not.
After all, the parts book shows it as an option for the 100.
If you have the installation manual, just follow the instructions.

Well, that is how it sits now.
315796.jpg

Wayne, thanks for the heads up on tightening up the axle. I'll look into it.

Attachments

• 315796.jpg
    315796.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 315796.jpg
    315796.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 129
Thad,
Is the inner set of lock screws on the PTO tight to the bearing? There are two sets (or should be) in each hole, one to tighten the PTO to the bearing, one to lock those in place.

Thad. The first set screws are pointed so they have a better chance to get behind the outer race of the bearing. You can make theese with a grinder or belt sander. Then small ones on top for jambs

my problem might be i have the baring flipped when i put it on which part of the inner race goes forward the bigger or smaller side thanks thad

Thad B.
Collar first, then the bearing. Slide the locking collar against the bearing. Tighten the collar with a punch. Tighten all 6 set screws and your done.
315798.jpg

Attachments

• 315798.jpg
    315798.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 118
  • 315798.jpg
    315798.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 148
Larry K - I was having a look see at your 127 pic. You have a manual strong-arm lift, and you also have an electric lift switch and the bracket for an electric lift. I assume the electric lift was removed and replaced with the manual. I wonder why the switch and bracket weren't removed.

Harry, yes the tractor did have electric lift. The previous owner said he had the parts, somewhere. I do want to replace it at some time as I'm really spoiled with my 149 hydraulic lift.

I'm still getting small packages of parts as he finds stuff in his garage.

Question in general here...

Is there any reason one shouldn't use the older style pto with the double, newer style spring? I'm thinking the little posts on the wf pto had their place.

315801.jpg

The pto is in good shape overall. So far I've found that the PO used parts from early narrow frames to the QL series. It's obvious he concockted this pto as well complete with the thrust button from a braking pto up against the brass wear button (as mentioned before).

And I've found a world of wrong. The points cover grommet was missing so you can imagine how nice and dry the points weren't. The valves were way off when I first checked them. They lapped nicely and are all correct now. Both the choke cable bracket and the throttle cable bracket had large screws through them to hold the cable. The little pivot lever that's connected to the governor by the spring was all wrong and mounted on a bolt that was too short for all of the components like the throttle stop...which was missing. As mentioned before I found the points wire connected to the + side of the coil along with the condenser and the "hot" wire was connected to the negative side. That "hot" wire I speak of is also bare in about a half a dozen places. The tractor could use a whole new harness.

And I haven't even gotten to the clutch yet.

Attachments

• 315801.jpg
    315801.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 139
  • 315801.jpg
    315801.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 136
Wayne S.
The PTO you show takes one spring that sets down inside the outer lip.
The spring that's in your PTO will not work very well as there's no nubs to keep it centered.
You'll notice that the wrong spring that's on it now slides under the edge of the engaging fingers effectively disabling the function of the PTO to work properly.
Single spring PTO,
315803.jpg

Double spring PTO,
315804.jpg

Attachments

• 315803.jpg
    315803.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 315804.jpg
    315804.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 315803.jpg
    315803.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 315804.jpg
    315804.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 153
Larry,
that 127 needs a cobra jet....

cub cub cub cub

I used a bolt with a shaved head and cotter pin hole, along with shims to tightened my 149's axle worked good-

Thanks Charlie-

This is actually the first time I removed an older version pto from a wf. It got me to thinking then it dawned on me about the nubs (earlier I called them posts) and their function. This idiot PO just installed a wf double spring kit instead of the proper kit for this pto. I have since found a proper pto for this kit which is going back in.

I'm still learning. I prefer though to learn things that take me forward...not from correcting past POs brain farts.

Back