• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 23, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Harry-

One of Jasons pics shows the 1250 had external brakes. I thought you would have seen that "right off the bat".

Just an FYI.

Also, the only way he could tell which pump was in the best condition is by opening both and comparing conditions. That would be a major job. The good news would be he could end up with a pump in great condition if he did a thorough cleaning/inspection and replaced all of the seals and any badly worn parts.

Jason-

Don't let what I say scare you in any way. Pumps can be intimidating but once you become familiar with first, how to disassemble it, and all of the parts (18 pistons too), then they aren't that bad. Putting the darn thing back together can be the toughest part by knowing how to deal with valve plates and guide pins then making sure the charge pump is installed properly (which isn't that hard). Once you know them they aren't that bad.

And the saga continues...

Wayne - oops, I just looked back and see now that Jason's 1250 does have the disc brakes. As for taking the pump apart, well, never done that and not sure I'd go for that. I think Jason operated the 149 long enough to know if the pump seemed to operate correctly and that's my basis for suggestion he re-use it. The 1250 pump is completely unknown, and that slug of whatever it is over one of the release valves sure bothers me enough to say the pump may be suspect as well. I will say while he switching the 149 pump to the 1250 rearend he should also make sure the trunion is in good shape or repair it according to the FAQ info.

Harry-

I didn't suggest taking the pump(s) apart, I said the only way to tell which was in better condition was to go into both and compare. To a newbie it probably sounds like way too much to tackle but I've disassembled, cleaned/inspected, and reassembled a pump in under two hours (no painting of the cast side involved). It wasn't my first though.

I also think it's time I stopped suggesting because I don't like being "shot down". I still think parting the 1250 isn't the route to take here. There are probably hundreds of rear ends sitting in the corners of a lot of buildings not being used that could bring that 149 back in a heartbeat. I have several here from cubs that couldn't be brought back due to extensive pitting rust, or too many major parts missing that ruined their chances. That 1250 could be made to give another 30 years or so of service. Isn't that what this site is mostly about??? the preservation/restoration of cub cadets???

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm puzzled at how the hydrostat could roll away and cause that much damage unless it was running. My 129 and 5x8 trailer rolled down my driveway and into the street once but slow enough there was no damage. I was alerted by honking horns and got out there to find it six inches away from putting a nice dent in my neighbors car. Needless to say I use the parking brake now!

Jerry - good point there. I do think Jason's trailer is bigger than 5x8 and weighs a lot more than the tractor. I don't know if setting the brake would have even held up to stop it from happening.

Wayne - hey, everything we say on here is a suggestion, even if we don't say it is, or even claim it's not. And if Jason could find a hydro rearend that wasn't surrounded by a tractor it would certainly be easier to use for the replacement. I'd like to see the 1250 put back into service as well, but it does need a lot of things. The fender pan looks to far gone to me - that's almost certainly pitted rust on it, and with the engine already gone, well, lets just say Jason is gonna have some parts left that can be used on another Quiet Line hydro.

That's my story and rather than stickin' with it, I'm just going with the flow.
a---allalone.gif

Attachments

• a---allalone.gif
    a---allalone.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 182
Jerry - my 129 developed enough speed in about 12 feet of about 30 degree slope in my yard to take out a pretty good size Forsythia bush when it rolled over it - that was with the trailer in my profile picture behind it with an average load of yard waste, nothing heavy. I cock the steering up hill and/or use the brake lock now.. They'll roll pretty free if the pressure drops off.

I picked up a parts 149 last week with a seised engine. Upon pickup I found that it could be moved around by hand easy. I removed the cover and both relief valve pins were up.The tractor was sun bleached to a light butter yellow. The carb was off,not included,and had rust in the intake.I drained the engine oil and got a gallon of water before any oil. I removed the engine and all the small useable parts and moved the rest to a storage area. I removed the rear fill plug and using a thin screwdriver found the fluid pretty clean with no evidence of water. I used a brass brush and cleaned around the relief valves and freed them. Everything on the tractor that I checked seems to indicate that it was in a flood many many years ago and was abandoned afterwards. This morning I removed the cylinder head The piston was 1/4 inch from the top, the valves were both closed with no water damage. I then removed the the oil pan and rotated the eng upside-downon my bench top mounted engine stand. I removed the rod cap a could turn the crank off to the side. Using a piece of wood I could not force the piston up or down. I turned the unit right side up and and a puddle of penetrating oil on top of the piston for a good soak. I do not think this tractor was used hard before it meet it's end as there is no wear on any of the lift pins that are part of the rockshaft assembly. I would appreciate input on what to look for concerning possible hydro pump damage from having this tractor forcibly moved around with out depressing the relief valves. Thanks in advance

Jerry H.

Love ur sig, and a very Very Nice looking 109 on ur profile!
Anyway they worked me 10hrs on the roof 2day, Hot Humid Sun Crankin Down,,, ugh!!! Gonna let the 149 & 1250 be THIS evening. Any who kinda been following thread throughout the day, Snapped a few pics of that Darn Trailer when I got home.

Old Boat Trailer someone beamed and decked. I Actually bought the thing Specifically to go get the 149. It has 2" ball receiver and I had to rig a round 7pin plug to match the 3/4ton. Anyway the dang tail gate weighs almost as much as the 149, LoL It is Heavy!

305751.jpg

Box is Almost 7' x 13' and its 18' long to the tongue, darn wheels are ALL the way in back being an old boat trailer!
Poor Little Cub,

305752.jpg

Anyway just for perspective driveway is 80' plus another 20' to back yard gate. Can't really tell from these pics but incline is a lot steeper than it looks. It's a Long way down to the bottom of drive.

305753.jpg

305754.jpg

If there is only one single lesson I've learned from this whole incident, it is that I am no Gerry Ide,,,, That's for Damn Sure!

ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• 305751.jpg
    305751.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 305752.jpg
    305752.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 305753.jpg
    305753.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 305754.jpg
    305754.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 194
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 305751.jpg
    305751.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 305752.jpg
    305752.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 305753.jpg
    305753.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 305754.jpg
    305754.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 213
How can I tell whether the center pulley on grandson's 44A mower deck is the right one? I suspect the PO may have had it set up for and 82 series tractor with a 5/8" PTO drive belt. The 1/2" belt for his 1450 almost disappears into the bottom of the pulley. Does anyone know the inside width of the 1/2" pulley at the outboard edge?

305758.jpg

305759.jpg

I got a feeling I'm going to be sending another order off to Mr Proctor!
facepalm.gif

Attachments

• facepalm.gif
    facepalm.gif
    898 bytes · Views: 151
  • 305759.jpg
    305759.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 305758.jpg
    305758.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 305759.jpg
    305759.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 305758.jpg
    305758.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 191
The correct pulley (IH-126393-C1) for Serial No. 81742 and above is NLA.
We all knew it the speed up pulley.

The other option for the 44/44A and 50/50A is the IH-59703-C3 which the top pulley measures 9/16" inside lip to lip and the bottom pulley measures 5/8" inside lip to lip.

Thanks, Charlie. I should probably post an ad for a used one, but I'm tired of cleaning, brushing, sanding, and general prep work. Plus, I need a few other things, too. And I really want to get this project done (again). And I don't want to wait for a response to my ad and shipping time, when I can just get a new one from CC Specialties delivered to my doorstep in less than 48 hours. What the heck - if I don't spend it there I may just squander it on something foolish, right? (I've learned how to rationalize my spending on Cub stuff, and my bride doesn't care!)

Now OFF TOPIC stuff today?
Here's the latest to join the herd,
305765.jpg

It should get along fine with the others,
305766.jpg

Attachments

• 305766.jpg
    305766.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 305765.jpg
    305765.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 305766.jpg
    305766.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 305765.jpg
    305765.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 161
Nice Charlie.
Cabs must be pretty popular up north. LOL
What's the temp. today?

I have a K341 that I rebuilt a few weeks back and an having some issues I hope someone could help with. It would run just fine and after about 15 minutes it would start bucking like it was out of time. So I pulled the motor and the oil pan to check the timing marks on the crank and cam and all was well. I suspect maybe the coil? Put the motor back in and ran it down the driveway a bit and it stopped like it ran out of gas. Checked it over and found that the flywheel key had sheared. GRRRR. I dont see why it quit running tho. With battery ignition it seems like it would run even with a sheared key once it was started. What am I missing here?

Garnett C.
I'd put my money on the condenser.

Shultzie,
Heat wave going on, 81!
Hopefully it's the beginning of our 2 or 3 week summer season!
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 157
Had some help painting today.
Hoods for the "O" and 126 plus wheels & dash
Will shoot the other side tomorrow hopefully.
I may make it in time for the 4th of July parade yet!!

305769.jpg

Attachments

• 305769.jpg
    305769.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 305769.jpg
    305769.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 150
David,

You could take wire/hooks/chain,etc. hang it up and paint the whole thing at once!
thumbsup.gif

Charlie,

81?!! You can come on down to N.C. where it will be in the 90-100 range from now to October!
yikes.gif
lol.gif

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 145
  • yikes.gif
    yikes.gif
    977 bytes · Views: 142
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 159
Charlie.....I used it's cab less brother to plant corn this spring.

Big Steve just added a gas 706 to the shed too!

Ah David - if you're gonna be in the 4th of July parade I think you'll need one more wheel (for the front).
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 153
Don't tell the wife, but I'm going for this thing next, I hope!
305771.jpg

305772.jpg

Attachments

• 305771.jpg
    305771.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 305772.jpg
    305772.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 305772.jpg
    305772.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 161