• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 21, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHRIS R. - I did that engine swap, a K241 10 HP into a CC 72 back in 1985. It drops right in with the engine clutch, PTO clutch, choke & throttle cables bolting right up. I even re-used my 7 HP engine's gas tank on the K241. That's as long as the K241 10 HP engine is a Cub Cadet spec engine. If it's from another brand tractor there will probably be issues.

The only issue I had was the bracket for the starter-generator mounts "Upside-Down" on the K241 as opposed to how it mounts on the K161/181 engine. And to get the S/G pulley to line up properly with the PTO pulley I had to egg-shape ONE hole on the bracket to move it forward about a quarter inch. You may be able to find a used 10,12,14,16 HP bracket by posting a want ad in the classifieds here. It's no big deal egg shaping the hole, the cast iron cuts easily with a carbide burr or round file.

JEREMY - It sounds like the o-ring which seals the piston probably "Stuck" to the cylinder bore and rolled over in the groove and cut or pinched the o-ring. That's the only way I can see it develope a leak that bad that fast. There's nothing in the valve that would let the tiller leak down that fast. There are o-rings in the valve but they seal the oil inside the valve. There is no seal between the ports of the valve, it just uses very tight tolerances between the spool and the bore for the spool to seal.

A new rockshaft cylinder should fix you right up.

Thank you guys. You reinforced my first thought. Just keep looking for what I find that seems right.

Dave Charette -

you are welcome on the recoil. Another Kohler number that could work for your flange is 230787. This is for the full ring, but can work with modification (cutting); it was the same casting. Note that this part is NLA from Kohler but can still be found occasionally from NOS sources and leftover stocks, closed dealers, etc

Yes, I've successfully buffed hourmeter lenses as you propose!

dennis

i have a 10 hp from a cub sitting with a S/G mount on it

i though it wouldnt be a problem just wanted to verify

i knew it had to be easier than putting a 12 on an O

CHRIS - Yes, it should be a real easy swap for you then. And a 10 HP makes a real nice tractor out of a 72. Many jobs that stress a K161/181 are easy with a 10 HP installed. I mowed grass as tall as the front tires with my 10 HP 72 & 38 inch deck.... NO, not in 3rd gear, but in low gear. My 72 ran my QA-36 snow blower much better even without the creeper gear, and I could pull my Ohio Steel Fabrication 10 inch sleeve hitch plow just about anywhere in 2nd gear. Only at PD #2 where the ground was packed hard and turned over in huge slabs did I have to run in low gear.

I don't know anything specifically about putting a K301 12 HP in an Original but I imagine it would be a REAL challenge with the taller engine PLUS the deep sump oil pan.

Jeromy, Theres a place relativly local to me that fixes hydraulic cylinders. Mabey if you looked theres one near you. They can be fixed.

a---allalone.gif
Dave must of broke it

Was haveing a bit of trouble with the mowing deck on my 100.
The deck spindles would slow down to allmost a stop when I lowered the deck to cut greass.

Decided to investgate to see what was causeing the problem.
First thing I found was this,
board-post.pl

Me thinks there should be bearings some wheres about.
Than I saw this,
board-post.pl

Well it dont look good for the bearing race either.
Than I took a look at the belt and guess wheat I found,
board-post.pl

Looks as if a new deck belt is in order.

Well after a hour of knuckle busting I got the idler pully replaced and the deck belt replaced and tried out the deck.

Good blade speed until I get into tall or thick grass, guess I will replace the drive belt next, I don't even what to think about all the foul words I migh speak trying to replace the PTO.

Latest posts

Back