• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 20, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about drilling the knuckle and the drag link out for the next size up coiled pin? 8mm is 0.025 inches bigger than the stock 5/16" pin, or I could go up to 3/8"...

Chris - It'd be nice to have some meat left for the cap to sit on, you drill it out to 3/8" and you'll be sorry... 3/4" dia shaft - 3/8" hole = 0.187" per side of hole or 3/16".

Chris,
Just fill it up with some JB Weld.
thumbsup_old.gif

CHRIS - Before I'd use JB Weld I'd drill a hole thru the top of #8 about 1/2" in dia. and WELD the top steering arm solid to the spindle.

I replaced My 5/16" roll pin with a 3/8" Grd 8 fine thread bolt in My 72 20+ yrs ago and regret it every time I run the tractor! I started making a replacement steering arm about 10 yrs ago that still used the 3/8" bolt but also CLAMPED onto the top of the spindle but never quite jot it ready to install. Maybe later this summer!
yikes.gif

I was worried about KentucK's whereabouts, but after reading Frank M's saga in the Sandbox, I know that Ken is on a mission to deliver a tube of JB-Weld to an E-bay seller, so that Frank can get his diesel 782 ..
bouncy.gif

Speaking of Fall Plow Day!

I posted a little info on it in the Plow Day and Tractor Show announcements section.

Dennis -

Why do you regret drilling out to 3/8"? I'm just curious...

CHRIS - The reason KEN said. The spindle is round....you enlarge the hole from .3125" to .375" and the .1875" Ken says is left because the outside is radiused has VERY little surface area on the bolt/pin or whatever. So the bearing surface between the bolt/pin and spindle is way back away from angle of force and a much smaller area and at a weird angle and the hole in the spindle wallows out at a much faster rate than before. Even with My brand new shiny steering gearbox I installed this spring the left spindle joint is loose enough to cause about a third of a turn of free movement in the steering wheel. Before the new gearbox I had almost a full turn but most of that was because the gearbox was worn out about 20 yrs ago.

IH used a LOT of spring roll pins for a reason in their soft unheat-treated soft carbon steel shafts. The problem I've had with them in certain applications is keeping them IN the shaft & mating part. Sometimes worm gear hose clamps, sometimes safety wire, sometimes new shafts are required so they don't fly out.

If Your steering arm & spindle aren't worn too much the 8 mm pin would probably work, but 3/8" is too big.

Believe it or not I was at the &*%$@$$(()!! horspital this AM.
2 Glock totin security gaurds met at the door as I stormed out!

But anyway.... who the crap! mentioned Spring Plow Day in the first place fer Charlie to mention it in the second place ???
Charlie acts like he owns this place sometimes ... I swear I don't know what gets into him sometimes.
tomato.gif

I tought that I might try and share a couple shots one of my 1450's for my first post. It is a work in progress has 26-12-12's with 18-6.50-8's.

61335.jpg

61336.jpg

61337.jpg

Hope this worked.

Dan I.
That looks pretty good.
I would raise the foot rest mounting a 1/2" or so to give you more clearance on the front of the tire though, IMHO.

Charlie,

I know what your saying. They are raised, but I did them with a taper. I used 1" spacers on the frame with 3/4" to 1/2" on the foot rest. I tilled with it this spring with no problems so far, but I was planing on trying some thing else.

Dan,

That's a great looking 1450. I've got a 1450 myself that I hope to restore this fall. I'd like to go with the same size tires you have. Where did you get your front rims and hubs?
Are the 26-12-12's mounted on the stock rear rims?

Dan - It'll wear fit, plus it'll keep the mud scraped off ;)

Charlie - See... like I said "who mentioned Spring Plow Day"? ;) I'm still running on wednesday night's sleep !
When you gettin the manual page in operation ?

Jim,

Thank's this is one of 2 that I have plus a 147. Yes the 26's are on the stock wheels. The fronts is something that I am experimenting with. They were JD rear hubs that I machined to take bushings till I can find the type of bearings that I want to use and I have them on stock 1" axles. The front tires that I am using is also for a JD, I know bad words here. I am the kind of person that is always taking parts from this or that and changing, modifing, or making stuff for my cars, trucks and now cubs.

Ken,

Well I go along with the wear fit and the cleaning the mud off, but it is not really as close to the tires as it looks.

Was tryin to escape some stress and get some work done on my O. Well the little stress balls followed me and the more p!##@$ off I got the less I payed attention to what I was doin. Was tryin to persuade a spindle from the axle and SNAP (<font size="-1">words fly, tools fly, children scatter like rouches in the light</font>)and walked away for a few hours. Ok, now that I've chilled out for a while I got to thinkin, I have a 1x9 front axle doin nothing why not do some milling and boreing and use that. Any one transplant one before or is it not worth doin?

Bren

Never would think talk of cuttin up an O would run everyone off.

dunno.gif
err.gif

Back