• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 16, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen: thanks for the compliments.

My apologies if this belongs on a different board within the forum. I had fun with this. There's no other brand of garden tractor that you can utilize parts that would have spanned from when the 70 was made in the mid '60's up until a 1440 made in the mid '90's, at least not being a bolt-together. The fun of building it this way was starting from a clean slate, parts did not simply get added because they were "correct". Each part had to essentially seek permission to be part of the machine based on design, aesthetics, and of course branding. The original goal was to recreate something like a Wheatland tractor, but without many custom parts, it just wasnt going to happen, and was limited to stance and some customizing of the fenders.

There are a handfull of non-OEM or equivalent parts, such as the long connecting rod and associated piston, the custom muffler, and some other minor parts. I even went to the length of buying new Packard 56 connectors to build the harness new.

Wyatt: I remember getting an e-mail from you regarding the Packard connectors. You certainly still have the fever, my man. I would like to look at (as in "drool over") everything that went into your build, do you have a web site or Facebook page (I'll use my wife's account). Others may be able to spot all the changes, but I need a "road map" as it were. For instance, I remember seeing a fuel pump on a posting on "Better than New" but I don't have a fuel pump on the 12 HP that came out of a 1250. I'm looking at a starter, so the engine didn't come from the same vintage as the frame. The front axle seems a bit wider than what I'm used to seeing on a Cub, or is it from a later model? It is all such a lot to take in that I'm as awe-struck as others seem to be.

I'm sure it was a blast to dream up and implement your innovations. Good job, Wyatt.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for choosing to share your joy with us on the IH Cub Cadet Forum.

Wyatt C. That is one great looking Cub Cadet.

Jeff B. any chance of trying to have that piece welded?

So I struggled earlier this year getting the grass cut with three cubs down. Spent a lot of time getting my first 129 running... main problem was hydro control. Pulled it and did the trunion repair and also shimmed some of the linkages. Tightened the hand lever too (most of the problem). However the handle has loosened back up already (actually within one or two mowings it did). I tightened it so hard I stripped the head a bit. I'm not sure what else to do, any suggestions? Anyone know what the bolt is, I probably should replace it, and it didn't seem to show under the transmission controls in the parts lookup.

Another issue is the bracket that attaches to the throttle shaft or whatever its called on the carb is broke free. They are both together still but the shaft spins somewhat freely inside the connector. I can slam the throttle control all the way down and sometimes the engine barely slows at all. Superglue works for a couple mows then it breaks free again. Any suggestions there?

Tristan, is it the hex head in the setscrew for the hydro control lever that is stripped? Or is it the threads for the setscrew? Or are you referring to the splines being stripped? On my #2 125 the splines were worn so bad on both the cast handle and the control shaft that the lever would not stay tight. I figured that since both were damaged it wouldn't matter to much if I were to alter them. So I tightened it up as best I could then I drilled a small pilot hole down through the top of the handle into the control shaft. Then I drilled it larger and tapped it for a bolt. I forget what size threads I tapped it for but I used fine threads. I did this several years ago and so far it's holding. I would only do this as a last resort, however, you can't wait to long to do it or there won't be any remaining splines so it will still loosen up. Hope the description makes sense. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the fix this evening as it might help explain it.

Wyatt,

Beautiful Tractor, but we need more pictures!

Latest posts

Back