• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian W.-

The rails make it a tad more difficult but Ken is right about the combination of sockets and wrenches. You will need a 9/16" socket to get to the engine bolt. The earlier tractors are a bit easier and everything can be done with the wrenches Don speaks of (I don't think Don has a QL). Once you do it things will come together, or apart as this case may be. You'll even learn how to turn your hand to get fingers on the bolt for final removal or starting them back.

Wayne S, Like I said gotta love those Zig Zags. I see it even has a sleeve hitch. Great find! Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers.

Hello to all I am new to this forum. I have 5 cub cadets four 102's and one Cub 122 (all are 1967 as best I can tell). I am restoring 2 cub 102's (the rest will be made into Hot Rods /Pulling tractors). The question I have is what color are the steering columns? I have seen both black and yellow. I am thinking they should be gloss black. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bear.

Wayne S.,
If I were you, I'd say it's time to buy your "buddy down the road" a box of wobbly pops - for sharing/pointing such deals your way! Maybe it'll be some incentive for him to do some additional scouting for that elusive 169 you're looking for.... just a thought.

Ryan W
coffee.gif

DON T. - Have to agree on the Gearwrenches. I even have the Stubbies in both SAE & Metric. I had them stashed away in a drawer and finally made a cabinet with peg board doors to hang them, so I can grab a handful for any task.

I hope the guy that invented them is relaxing on a sandy beach drinking little umbrella drinks somewhere.

Wayne that looks good, I dont have any narrows but that one seems to be nice, as for the 169 ,let the forum know what you want and it may come to you.

Ratcheting wrenchs are the cats meow, love um

still wondering if any 169 came with hydrostatic printed under the 169 on the dash decal

Dennis Frisk

Yep they are slick, for the engine bolts above the axle I just set the bolt in the wrench and with one finger on the bottom I can start the bolt . I think the only thing wrong with the is I did not invent them and I`am not getting a check from that idea lol.
coffee.gif

Ryan-

You're sooo right! I do help him a little, with questions mostly, when he gets a customer in with an older cub. He's definitely an asset to my hobby. I plan to put a small flyer down there with a picture of a 169.

So far the four I've acquired are a 109,124, the 104 I recently posted a pic of and this 126. What I like about it they were original owners or the second owner so I got manuals with two of the cubs.

Jeremiah-

Those are just the reflectors you see but the seat pan, as well as the rest of the sheet metal is in very good shape. One of the first things I asked him over the phone was did it have headlights. It does have some serious rust spots that will be addressed first and at least primed. The steering is a little too tight and needs attention but I haven't even gooten into it much because I had some of the family over yesterday.

My nephew went with me to get it which was a good time to bend his ear about his touch of cub abuse. His 128 has been used two seasons and because he has to add a little oil ever so often he figures it doesn't need changing. It was like tar. The air pre-cleaner had caking of crap all around but the paper filter did look good. I was just going to replace the wear button and ended up pulling the engine for clutch work and a good pressure washing overall. The sad news is he's a mechanic/exhaust man by trade but you know how the cobblers kids run around bare footed.

Wayne Shytle

Just how many Cubs do you have now ??? You keep coming up with these nice tractors . There must be some pile of them over your way ? Your one lucky man is all can say .
animatedihbear.gif

Hey Don-

Not to give you a short answer but TOOOOOOO MANY! I intentionally stopped buying many months ago but when they call me with a good deal I have to check it out. I'm closing in on 30 units but I don't think I'm there yet. I haven't counted in a while and thirty of anything is too much for me to keep in my feeble brain. All I had of a 126 was an extra rearend so now I have the whole thing. As a matter of fact the 126 needs the shifter fix so I have that already fixed with the spare.

Why don't you come on down and help me get them all running? Houses on wheels are very popular down here in the south so yours would fit right in.

My grandson completed his K241 rebuild and is putting everything back together and has run into a problem. We replaced the motor mounts with Brian Millers solid mounts and something is not right. Is it possible that the engine mounts (703-0042-0637 & 703-0043-0637) that were installed on the wrong side ? . We have a weight bracket on the front that was no problem before, but now the same bolt that was there before will not go straight through the hole drilled for it. Something has changed, but I don't know what. It must be either the engine mount brackets were installed incorrectly of the solid mounts were installed incorrectly. I am leaning toward the installation of the engine mount brackets is the problem, since there are two different part numbers for the left and right sides. I thought that I would ask here since this problem cannot be addressed without removal of the engine. In the I.H. Parts Lookup, they "look" the same. How can you tell the difference ?

Another question...Are "left" and "right" determined by standing at the rear of the tractor looking toward the front, or from the front of the tractor looking toward the rear ?

Final question.....this tractor engine is a K241, but the block is a K301 and oil pan required changing to the "deep sump" type pan. This was due to engine wear and cylinder was "convex" and was bored out by .0020 to have walls that were "straight". Engine was installed with no problems, but something is not right, and I am confused as to how to correct whatever error was made.

Well, it is all fixed. Grandpa did not check the work done by grandson. The engine mounts were installed but not tightned down completely. Once that was done, the bolt for the weight bar was installed and tightened, everything was O.K. I guess you have to check everything that is done by a teenager, but as grandpa, I guess I should have checked that before bothering all of you.

Wayne, Brent, nice finds!
greenthumb.gif

Bear, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif
The 102 and 122 should have yellow steering columns.

Don, nice loader and back hoe on that 782! Good looking 1650 too! Looks like Fred does nice work.
greenthumb.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

Thanks Kraig . He will like to see that in print. I hope to get him posting some.He has a big tank with a spray unit made . I have to take my camera up and take some pictures of it. He is handy and can make anything.
old.gif

Latest posts

Back