• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 14, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Steve, David, et al - never actually had a CI end deck myself. I heard tell they really did cut grass well. My unbiased opinion didn't say anything about what I thought of them. I only made a closing comment on one of the IH engineers involved in designing them. Deck seemed well designed and so were the headlights for an Original. I see the light and I see the grass clippings
roflol.gif

Original headlights-

fwiw, i have a NOS original headlight kit, in the box. It has the goofy-squished-pipe-and-bent headlight brackets with it. I also have a set of used brackets, not surprisingly weld-repaired.

Kraig you could show the front of 409 how someone (from the louisville factory) retrofitted 102-style lights to it.

Dave,

If you are referring to Plow Day...Yup, this fall in Roanoke.....good IL black dirt for all!!!

Here's some photos of the Cub Cadet Original prototype #409 that Craig C. mentioned.

320993.jpg

320994.jpg

320995.jpg

320996.jpg

320997.jpg

Hydro, Paul Bell purchased it from Ken Majer who was the son of IH Engineer Frank Majer who purchased it from IH. Paul then refurbished it and returned it to more like it was when it was a factory prototype, basically removing the modifications and repainting it. Tim Delooza purchased it from Paul. Tim had it on display at the 2009 Red Power in Madison, WI. As far as I know Tim still owns it. Here's a photo at RPRU 2009.

321006.jpg

Charlie.. I have a question for you or who ever else knows. If you were going to make a new Steering Gear Follower Stud ,what grade of bolt would you use? Its for the 104 ,it has a few flat spots on it . thanks

Matt - how do you know those cam followers are harder than Grade 8? And why do you think Grade 8 is fine?

The cam follower rides against that worm gear on the steering shaft and is generally the item that wears most. Seems to me if you make it from really hard steel it may result in the worm gear wearing rather than the cam follower. Replacing the cam follower is a whole lot easier and less costly than replacing the steering shaft. Am I all screwed up in my thinking?

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - thanks for clarifying and the additional pics of ole "409". I thought I had seen it in the more original colors before so I kinda wondered when you showed it green.

Harry-

Try running a file across the end of an OEM cam follower and then the same trick with a Grade 8 bolt
wink.gif

Grade 8 bolts are not "really hard steel". They can still be machined fairly readily, and are softer than the worm, which is also very hard (probably case hardened and just at the worm end). A follower made from a Grade 8 bolt will not last as long as the OEM follower, but theoretically shouldn't wear the worm as much either.

At any rate, people have been making them from Grade 8 bolts for at least the 15 or so years I have been around this forum. It works.

Matt G ... Hey thanks, I thought I read somewhere on another site using grade 8 would be ok. Just thought I would ask first, Didn't want to use something that would wear out the worm gear.
Thank You & Everyone else who has helped me out when I have a question.

Harry
When I bought 409, it had been painted green to match the owners car. It was my understanding it was done by "friend's" of the owner while he was on vacation, and unknown by the owner.

Paul,
wave.gif
good to see you post! If I recall the car was a Mercury. I should probably check my notes...

Are the Firestone Flotation 23 worth the money or should a guy go for Carlisle Tru Power for plowing. Also what size tire is better in the dead furrow 4.00-8 3 rib Deestones or 16x6.50-8 3 rib Firestones. This is for a cub cadet 100 that will hopefully get to go to the Rockford Plow Days this fall if the weather doesn't act up. Pictures are helpful.

Kraig, You are correct on the car.

Craig C, The retrofitted lights on 409 were done by Frank Majer, the engineer that bought 409 from IH. He was an electrical engineer at the test center, and the father of the indivual I bought it from

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna have to go with the Tru Powers 23x8.50-12 and Deestones 4.80-8. Hopefully I'll be able to bring her to a plow day sometime this year.

Back