It is a Perkins 507cc. It is supposed to put out about 14hp. I would like to set it up for mowing grass but my main goal is to have it ready for the fall plow day and maybe make a little smoke. Specs say it only uses a quart of fuel per hour.
Jeff, It is an APU set-up off a semi tractor. It will lose the frame, a/c compressor, and generator to fit in the 149. My only problem may be getting that radiator to fit in somewhere. The radiator has an electric fan on it so the fan on the engine will not be needed unless the radiator happens to be on that end when installed.
Well, the engine is out and sitting on the garage floor. Initial measurements look good depending on which way it has to be installed. Right now it looks like I have to drop the mount about 3/4" to make it the same height as a kohler crankshaft. I might be able to drop the pan below the frame if I can get it back far enough to miss the front axle cross member. Here are some pics of it out of the frame and what the frame looked like.
Hey cool! ... I just noticed you have the big @$$ wheel weights inside the rear wheels just like the wheatlands would often have. Bravo guy, nice attention to detail. Can't wait to see the plow built for it
There is an Original on the St. Louis C/L with a new 7hp diesel in it for $500 bucks. It's really tempting but the wife says no. Guy says he used an O so HS didn't have to worry about the driveshaft lining up.
It's got brand new Carlise tires too. I have a video of it running ill try to get on YouTube.
Well, we got a little trial set-up time in tonight. Still need to lower the engine, get an adapter plate made, stretch the frame 3", find an alternator, and decide on finding a radiator or getting the original cut sown to fit.
This diesel project has really got my interest. I have a 70 chassis sitting in the shop that I had the chance to turn into a Super with all the bells and whistles from a cyclops. I ended up selling those parts to help with a similar project (super Q/L).
Now I wish I still had those parts to make a Turbo Diesel Super 70. I bet it would have been awesome with a 6" stretch, 26" rubber and full hydro attachments (via a secondary pump).
Things are still going on schedule to have it running and at Steve's plow day. I ahve a 2nd frame coming next week so that I can stetch it a total of 4". I am trying to build in the option of putting an electric clutch on it to run a mower deck in the future. I will need a 1" spacer for it to be a go. I had a lead on a radiator from one of those green tractors but they think they are made of gold so I passed on it. I am going to have to cut a radius in the lh side frame so that the filter can be removed. It will be inside the frame by about a 1/4". The drawing for the adapter plate to connect the back of the engine to the drive shaft is being made in a machine shop. I will be using stock 149 driveline parts.
I'm finally finished with my custom 129 that I turned into a 66 series tractor clone. I just got done restoring and modifying a 48" mower deck with gauge wheels at all corners. I also built a tool box on the front that looks like an IH weight bracket.