• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 14, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Matt-

Patrick-

You're exactly right. The fork slides/rotates over the shaft and acts to level the deck. You might want to check the point at which it contacts the shaft to make sure it's not too worn. After 35-40 years they can be in need of a little attention. I've had a couple that were over half worn through and needed welding. It can really help with getting the lift back operating a little better.

Thats what I was thinking. It defiantly has a good "seat" worn into it but still has a lot of metal there. I've had to pry them open a little for it to sit in better but not enough. The front to me seems like it should lock more into the hooks, like it can still slide back more and lock into place (which is why I wounder if it is suppose to sit between that "fork") there is a lot of space there but stays in usually if im not bouncing around in 3rd gear threw the yard.

hey guys quick question, anyone know the bearing number for a NF cub throw out bearing? not the IH part number, the one that should be etched into the race somewhere? please and thanks

CHRIS R. - Choke bracket gets bolted to one of the little 1/4"-20 cap screws that holds the blower housing over the flywheel to the aluminum backing plate.

You might be able to find a picture in the manual section for a K161 engine. I checked the 72/104/4/124/5 manual and the best picture they had they put a caption right over the bracket so you can't see it.

OK.....So how many of you QL guys are missing this shield? I'm guessing quite a few. Out of 7 tractors that have found their way to my place this spring, only one had this in place, from a 1450 parts tractor.

I had noticed the holes earlier on a 1000 I bought from Rick Beem and had wondered what they were for and a later 1650 parts tractor still had one of the tiny bolts/screws with the 5/16" hex head in place.

I'm guessing most of 'em fell by the wayside shortly after the 2nd or 3rd steer shaft greasing. Shouldn't be too hard to fab up replacements out of flat sheet stock.

Dave S.
240086.jpg

Dennis thanks

thought i would share this with youguys from C/L
pretty cool if you ask me

240092.jpg

Well, today is the day. I am going to start working on my Cub Cadet 1250. I certainly hope I understand all that I have read about this thing and hope I don't mess it up too badly.

I think I have all the parts. Here is what it gets: Engine Cradle modification, Motor Mounts, Flex Joints, Hydro Fan, New Ignition Points, Valve Lash Adjustment, Steering Sector repair/rebuild, and an oil change.

Last night, I found some play in the front axle. I don't know if it is enough to mess with, or if i should leave well enough alone. It looks to be about 1/8". While everything is apart, I suppose I'll clean up what I can.

My repair shed is cramped. I am totally dependent upon weather and light, and have a propensity to break and twist off things, miss needed parts and waste time and steps. I am no mechanic, and have no idea why I took on this thing. The ride on a warm and calm evening yesterday seems like it is all worth it.

Of all the things I have lost, I think I miss my mine the most.

Battery has been checked as good,and new starter generator. The needle on the gauge does not register as charging. And within 1 or 2 mows the battery is dead. Any help is appreciated. new...no electric at all it seems ...tried to jump it which worked previously but now nothing at all...down to volatage reg or coil...me thinks

mark roseman

I would check all connection's first , but the voltage reg is probably what is needed.

Brian Wittman

I bet you will have a smile on your face every time you get to run that tractor after the rebuild.

Later I will post pictures of a 782 with front end loader and back hoe a friend of mine just completed. I did not have my camera with me but have plans to go back later today for some pictures for you all.

Off to remove the tries from my Zturn and add washer fluid .
old.gif

Electric PTO question: (I'm having some trouble)
How does it work? For example if I would unplug the wire, what would happen? Would it be on all the time or off all the time?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Shultzie
The electric pto has a magnet that when power is applied it pulls the pto to lock together to run . If you disconnect the wire the pto can not engage and won`t hurt anything.
lurking.gif

Brian
You should find a centering ball at each end of your driveshaft. I would replace those too if bad. If they are bad you could eat the new flex joints.

Patrick James Fitzwater,

Just a minor point of clarification on your statement "Mine has a "fork" on right side, two pieces of steal that what I assume slide and sit on the bar that attaches the brake arm connecting to the clutch?"

The upper end of the "fork" on the right side slides over and sits on the rear round bar which supports the foot rests rather than "the bar that attaches the brake arm connecting to the clutch."

Steve B. posted a good pict below that shows how the subframe is attached on an 82 series. The mounting would be the same on your 128.

Wayne S,

Like Matt G. said, that hole was definitely misdrilled at the IH factory, resulting in a very shy edge margin for the pickle fork pin and ultimately the rails failure. It should be centered like on the rail on other side of your subframe.

Shultzie,

Check Charlie's FAQ's on how to adjust the air gap your 82 series Electric PTO. (Note: I think 982 PTO's have a different gap range then the other 82 series models). If the gaps get too large over time from use, the PTO won't work properly.

Ron R. Schmitt

Thanks for that
bash.gif
, I guess I only read half his post on the PTO. I think the 82 series are .010 for the air gap. not sure what his tractor PTO uses but drought if there is much difference.I would check all safety switches to see if they are all doing there job because all the safety switches must work or the PTO won`t engage .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Matt S.
If your thinking about going to the maker/supplier of the bearing, Forget it. LOL
They got in 5,000 last March and sent them out to MTD's supplier to finish the process to turn them into throwout bearings.

The remaining inventory is already bought and paid for waiting to be shipped to Minnesota as soon as they clear customs.
Yes! They are made in China!

I see Steve B did the same thing to his 782 that I did to my 982, used alminum mesh to make the screen/cover that Dave S. is missing from all his Q/L's.

My 982 was missing the solid cover, and it sucked a LOT of debris up into the engine cooling fan. After I made the screen, I can tell when it gets plugged up with dandilion fuzz, etc., you can feel it really pulling air in past the throttle lever & hydro lever slots in the dash. It doesn't eliminate all the debris getting into the engine but it sure helps.

Troy,
128 Cub with Sickle Bar mower PTO to Jackshaft belt part no.:
Gates Powerbelt 6835.
Sorry it took so long.
I get a lot better service from CC Specialties as for as prompt deliveries, accuracy of orders and nice surprises and his advice is free also. Support our sponsors.

Latest posts

Back