• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 06, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard, great picture.. I've got a 8 foot job boom up about 14 feet in my barn with a electric hoist on it.. I used to pick my 129 up with it to change blades. Not long ago did the same with my Scag zero turn that's got a hitch sticking out the back. Wasn't paying close attention picking it up, till I realized it was pivoting on the hitch..Whoa!!!!

I agree.....not without jack stands backing up that loader.....wouldn't end well with a front tire on your head.

That said, I use a similar method (overhead hoist), but with jack stands.

Well, the diagnoses is... the basket & pulley came apart from the hub. So the PTO basket moved away from the PTO. At least it isn't a hard repair to perform. 8-(

That's a late model Kwik way loader, correct?

Sure dont leave you much platform access do they.....

I agree with not climbing under. That is the nice part of having an impact, it allowed me to reach under and remove and replace the blades without climbing under. If I was to climb under jack stands would have been used.

Steve,
The guy I bought the loader from had swapped the loader from a 03-04 (don’t remember exactly) cadet that had a blown engine. The two tractors were parked by each other and the frames were the same. He said no modifications needed except drilling one hole each side, bolted right up.

Have a great day,
Rich

Ok, guys, so I won't tell you about using two bumper jacks, some pipe and chain to spread a '32 ford rear spring to fit on a '57 Olds rear end with mounts just a little bit too wide. (when I was 20 and see, I'm still here). I also ride a '56 Cushman with an 80 MPH engine and 40 MPH brakes. I also mow sidehills with the 129 at a greater than 5% grade (have to skooch up on one side of the seat). I also have a significant other who I argue with at times.

All calculated risks.. Just like reaching under the 129 or ZeroTurn to change a blade using a Jib boom that'll pick up a lot more than they weigh. If I was going to lay under it, or work more than a couple of minutes, I'd use jack stands (I've got several sets) or maybe some crumbly old cement blocks...
biggrin.gif

Can't believe it. Just spent over a year pulling out the old engine (rod broke last summer) from my 129, separated the tractor, pulled the pump and replaced the cork gasket, got a rebuilt engine, put it in and got everything hooked up again (over the course of a few weeks), and finally am at the point where just a few minor adjustments were needed and now, when starting it for the 2nd time today, I hear this loud noise coming from the trans. It was running fine. I started it for the first time a few days ago as per the break-in procedure, ran great, re-torqued the head bolts last night and today wanted to adjust the cam bracket since the tractor creeps forward. Started up just awhile ago and ran fine, but then ran out of gas since I forgot to open the petcock. Next time I tried to start, I hear the loud grinding noises (more like screaming). If I turn the motor real slow, I can hear clicking noises - seems especially to affect the shift control / trunnion shaft area when turning the engine real slow by hand. When jacked up, the rear wheels turn fine with no noise coming from the transaxle. No problem with the driveshaft (that would have showed up right away I'd think).

Any suggestions? I'm NOT about to take this thing apart again, but neither am I ready to quit on it after spending over a grand already. For one thing, I'd have no idea where to even begin if there is a trans problem. I feel sick over this after coming so close to getting it running again. Will contact the guy who built the engine since he was willing to come out to check the high rpm speed for me. Might as well let an expert listen to it and go from there. If this is a serious trans problem, unfortunately I think I'm done and the Cub goes for sale as is - with a whole bunch of brand new things on it - basically completely new electrical system, plus lots of other stuff - then there is also the rebuilt engine from a never used block.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Keith, so sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your 129. Don’t give up on it. If it is the hydrostatic pump I bet one can be found cheap. Does your 129 have the manual or optional hydraulic lift?

Kraig....mine is the manual lift. I really don't think I'm up to getting back into separating the tractor, pulling the transaxle, etc. I had that thing on a jack for literally weeks - wrestled with it getting it out and not much better going back in. I'm really discouraged at this point. I still have all the pictures I took for the entire separation procedure and the cork gasket job, but I'm suspecting that "replacing the hydro" is an even much bigger job. That trans almost fell off the jack more than once for me - would be scared to attempt it again.

Is there any way to know for sure what happened and what level of repair work needs to be done?

Back