• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 06, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
David S., as far as I know the 38" and 42" cast end decks only used two decals. I don't recall ever seeing a 38" or 42" cast end or stamped deck that used the "Do Not Step" decal and I believe only the stamped decks used the silver triangle decal. Here's a cast end deck with the original decals.

320853.jpg

Here's a stamped deck showing where the silver triangle decal is placed by the discharge chute.

320854.jpg

Jenny R., WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

What you have sounds more like a Farmall Cub, (I see your profile lists a Cub Lo-Boy) not a Cub Cadet. We do have an area of the forum for discussing the Farmall Cub. IH Cub Cadet's larger relatives. Hopefully someone here has some suggestions for you. Do you know if the tractor's water pump is working properly? If you are flushing it the flushing pump would likely be forcing the water through, not the actual water pump.

Jenny R,

Welcome, as Kraig suggested, you have a Farmall Cub. Cub Cadets weren't introduced until 1961 and are air cooled. I recommend you check the water pump (like Kraig said) but also check the thermostat which is the most likely source of your troubles.

It should be in the cooling system near the water pump somewhere. The thermostat helps the engine get up to operating temperature quickly. When the engine is cold, the thermostat is in the closed position. When the coolant reaches a specified temp, the thermostat opens and regulates the coolant temperature so your engine runs at peak efficiency. From your problem description, it sounds like the thermostat is not opening properly or is stuck in the closed position. When you put water in, you may be getting just enough coolant through the water pump bypass port to keep the engine from overheating whereas anti-freeze won't keep it cooled enough. However, antifreeze is the best coolant to use as it protects your engine cooling system from rust/corrosion and keeps your seals lubricated.

No water pump on a Farmall Cub.... thermosyphon system.

Just watched a documentary on PBS about the "Bedford Boys"
Great read, your library should have it. Mine does, after I bought it and gave it to them.

<u><font size="+2">NEVER FORGET!!!</font></u>

Going through some boxes of crap I got blessed with at an auction this winter and came up with these!!

About 1-1/4". Should be just right for mounting the lower grills on QL's and 1x9's etc. Thinking they should not be painted in those applications.

320861.jpg

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Aaron Wilson (Awilson)

I’m not trying to start an argument I just want to know the truth , I just got a 149 and I want to change the transmission fluid in it can I use JD hyguard or should a get hy Tran hy guard would be easier to get but I can probably find hy Tran.

Sorry for not posting this in the main forum I’m new here and just posted it here. Does the hydraulics fill from the same check plug in the back as the transmission and where do you drain it from?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">Aaron, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

You drain it by removing the rear cover plate and draw bar. Be sure to have a good sized catch pan ready.
icon_eek.gif
With the cover removed and the old fluid drained out, you'll likely notice some white gel like substance. Be sure to wipe all of it out as best as you can. Once you have it all cleaned out reinstall the rear cover plate and draw bar using a new gasket. Be sure to use the proper length screws in the correct holes. The three that go through the draw bar will be longer. Once you have the rear buttoned up, you fill it through the hole that is in the cover plate. Fill it until the fluid is up to the hole.</font>

Kraig thanks for posting this here on the main forum. I should be able to get the hy Tran at a shop that sells the new cub cadets.

Kraig,

I thought you drain it through the drain plug on the bottom of the tranny?
1a_scratchhead.gif

That way, you don't have to replace the gasket.

Marty, only the gear drives have a drain plug. You could remove the suction tube from the bottom of the differential and drain it there but then you don't get a chance to get that white gel like stuff out....

Cast iron hydro rearends don't have a drain plug.

Tip for refilling: Get a new gasket for that rectangular cover on top of the transaxle. Remove the fenders and that cover and dump in the new HyTran through that access hole. MUCH faster than trying to drip it into that hole in the back cover.

...one could drain it by removing the suction tube then remove the rear cover and avoid the gush of Hy-Tran...
320863.gif

....and while the rear end cover is off, drill and tap bottom of case 1/4" NPT for a drain plug......the next time you need it you'll be glad you did. I just used my added drain last week after several years of forgetting it was there.....made 3pt install a breeze!!

So is there really a difference between hy guard and hy Tran will hy guard ruine the transmission?

Aaron,

As others have said, welcome to the forum!

I don't know much about hy guard, but Case/IH Hytran should be fairly easy to find at any Case/IH dealership.
I always try to use what the equipment calls for so if something did happen, I wouldn't blame myself for using something else.

Kraig and others,

I have never owned a hydrostatic. I would have thought all the transmissions would have a drain.
You learn something new every now and then!

Yes you do learn something this is all new to me I have never owned a garden tractor close to this size. It’s incredible how large they really are.

Aaron, here's a LINK TO A CHART comparing some typical tractor fluids. Scroll to the bottom section of the chart. Note that JD does not have a Hy-Gard that meets the same specs as the current Hy-Tran. Here's a photo of what I believe is the current version of Hy-Tran that would be used in a Cub Cadet:

320865.jpg

Aaron W,

Welcome! Congrats on your new to you 149. The 149 is considered one of the best CC's you could own. You should be able to get Hy-Tran from your local Cub Cadet dealer but they don't call it Hy-Tran, just "Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid". It may be a little more pricey at your CC dealer vs. a CaseIH dealer but if you have drive a ways to find a local CaseIH dealer then you may be better off going to your local CC dealer.

If I recall correctly, Cub Cadet has two transmission hydraulic fluids available, one for earlier models and one for later (newer) models. Be sure to tell them you need Hydraulic Transmission fluid for an earlier CC made by IH. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back