• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 30, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

When you engage the PTO does the pressure line flex, it would have a tendency to straighten? This would indicate some level of pressure.

Jim

ATF is not a good substitute for hydraulic fluid.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 134
Richard W. Does the front pto actuate? Turn the key to on and turn on the pto. You should hear it click.

Ed. As others have mentioned, do the iso mount modification. I just took apart a 1250 and all 4 engine mount bolts were missing.

All, from some posts I deduce you put in the iso mount rails in before the engine. Why? I found if you tilt the engine forward you can then lift and tilt until you can rotate the snubber ends of the rail behind the from frame lips and lift it straight up. Installation is just the opposite To me it's easier this way but them mine isn't pretty. I'm not worried about a few scratches I may put in it. Sure wish I had a different hoist than my Armstrong® one.

I got a pair of decent rails and a pan this week. Thanks John B!

Did the mod to them this week, painted and installed them today. Put the new seal and old valve in the tank. Tightened up the hose clamps and tank clamps and happened to see drip....drip....drip. Grrrrr. Gave it some time so I could cool off and it quit leaking! WooHoo! Now to get a new battery and fix some previous owner wiring issues and I'll be good to go!

Charlie,
Thinking I would be using hydraulic fluid for the refill, I purchased a 5gal container. Once I opened it up I found it to contain ATF.
Previously, I used the loader model number and was able to find an owner’s manual for the same loader on another type of tractor. In that manual it says to fill the system with hydraulic fluid or ATF. I guess I was hoping for it to contain hydraulic fluid.

Eugene,
The PTO does engage when turned on. I even tried watching while my son tried to lift the front of the tractor off the ground which it did not.

Rich W.

Richard W.
It's yours to do with what you want.
biggrin.gif

PS,
Manuals are NOT always right.
beer2.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 121
  • beer2.gif
    beer2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 116
Richard, sounds like a overheated pump to me. Maybe with the 3hrs of heavy use it got real hot, but had enough flow to keep it below the critical point. Then when shut off and no flow the heat sunk parts went over the line, maybe warping a plate or killing a seal.

So the pressure test is first. It will tell you if the pump is working properly or not.

But I kinda sounds like you should be on the lookout for a pump rebuild kit.

Rich,

In a simple hydraulic system such as a gear pump, spool valve, actuators ATF is ok to use. Just don't expect the gear pump to last years. ATF actually has a more stable viscosity over a broader temperature range than say hydraulic oil, BUT its viscosity is 2-3 times lower. If your hydraulic system runs on the hot side (150 degF +) than ATF would be a better choice. Common hydraulic fluid can begin to break down at 150F.

I would use a AW46 hydraulic fluid and have an oil cooler in the system if needed.

I have run 250F JET-A through a gear pump at 750 psi when I worked in Aerospace. They would only last about 75-100 hours before they would drop off in flow/pressure.

Jim.

You most likely broke the relief valve spring in the loader control valve, or it is stuck open, bypassing all of your oil back to the tank......just enough pressure left to lift it empty....

Back