• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 29, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
Hey people, it's 98* in my back yard...is it ok if I stay the A/C house for a while ??? My Cub looks ok from a distance.
a---allalone.gif

Allen S - it's ok to stay in the house as long as the only thing you're doing is contributing to this web site. I almost thought I broke it last night.

Eugene - just realized looking at Charlie's FAQ 23 that it actually lists the bolts you need as Part No. 710-3000, 3/8" x 3/4". In my view that's a little short and I'd still go with what I said before. 3/8" x 1" are common, and 3/8" x 7/8" are out there someplace. Finding them with the WP stamp marks on the head will be hard and really have to come off another IH Cub Cadet.

I have an IH Cub Cadet 782, with a replacement Kohler KT17 Series II engine. The carb is a Walbro WHG 52 05334; it seems that there are no more available in the world. I scrapped the original one, years ago. Yeah, I know... anyway, this fixed-main-jet carb has, apparently, plugged up for the second time, with everything new but the fuel pump. New fuel pump after I get the carb back from the shop.
Any ideas on a replacement?

Terry M.-

An adjustable carb from a Series I KT-17 is the easiest solution. I have not tried it, but a #26 carb from a K241 or K301 also supposedly works if you use the choke and throttle shafts from the Walbro it is replacing.

Harry says: <font color="0000ff">"I've had more QL units than any other model."</font>

Quietlines are great tractors! You know you want another one. You could use a Quietline to pull the trailer holding your 169.
err.gif
}

Ok, I read the FAQs and I think I am ready to ask appropriate questions.

I read the steering upgrade Ken Updike did for narrow frame tractors. Is there a parts break down so I can get what I need and reuse what I have? I have front wheels with tapered bearings now and don't need to duplicate. If a kit is involved,does Ken sell them and how much?
Please enlighten me.

Otto C.
Click the Kirk Engines button at the top of this page and scroll down to the Cub Cadet SuperSteer Upgrade Kit.

Well I thought the "I have front wheels with tapered bearings" would have been the hint that I was asking about the axle steering upgrade.
The #18 upgrade is what I am asking about. It shows a floppy disc ,maybe loaded with instructions, and steering parts. But the spindles and attaching parts are in need of clarification.

Terry M-
I just put a #26 on an M20 engine, as Matt eluded to, you will have to re-use the shafts, but will have to re-use the plates from the replacement carb. The screw spacing is different on the Kohler vs. Walbro, so be prepared to do some minor fitting with a small rat-tail file.

The Kohler carbs are the best things that could happen to a Series II or a Magnum engine.

Otto- that would be some old pictures and details from myself. That floppy probably had some pictures taken with the old Mavica camera.

Kraig may be able to re-post some drawings of the spindle machining necessary for the spindles. That was the best reference. As far as the axle my personal favorite is to use the "late Cyclops" axle thats got a further swept forward design than whats shown in the pictures, and the spindles will need to come from a very early Cyclops, before they jacked the front end up an inch (it really messes with front blade and snowthrower geometry).

Hopefully the completed picture here is a good contrast to the pictures from the FAQ
298279.jpg

Otto C.
I don't need hints!
I was just trying to cover everything!
I've been there and done that several times.
298281.jpg

298282.jpg

Charlie, I'm not sure who's Cub that is, but they're not going to be happy with the steering when the axle is on backwards!

Wyatt C.
There's a reason I did that.
It decreased the turning radius by 4+ inches, LOL
And I was quite happy with they way it turned out.
298284.jpg

298285.jpg

Never tried a 44C.
I did put a 44A under it just to see and it was REALLY close, but didn't hit.
biggrin.gif

That tractor ended up with a Gannon on the back, so I really wasn't worried about anything belly mounted.

Charlie, is that Cub a recent one or was it lost in the fire?

It's actually the one from when we lived in Spring Valley that was brought up in the move.
It was actually in one of the out buildings.
I still have it.
Lost everything except what's in the pic below.
It will be finished one of these days when the mood hits, LOL

Back