• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 29, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbaker

displayname
Bryan Baker
Hello I am new to the scene. I have a 149 with a bad motor. I am going to need a new block, crank, and of course rod. There is a fellow here locally that has a K321S complete. This motor has the newer starter, and such. Can I use the short block from this motor in my 149 with the generator/starter? Any major differences? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also is there anyone around the Evansville IN region that messes around with these tractors? I plan on doing a full restore with this tractor.

Bryan,
The Model engine for a 149 should be K321AS, where the "A" stands for special oil pan. Make sure the block is of the straight sided variety with the oil filler tube in the same place as yours is. Also, since it is not a Cub Spec Motor, chances are the crankshaft won't be the same, meaning the front pto end diameter and length. Can the old crank be reground? What exactly is bad about your existing motor. The K series are mighty tough. Kenny

Hey Owen, I think the last time we talked, you weren't that far away from me (probably about an hour). If you need a hand with getting a new diff for your 147, please e-mail me. I'm sure I can get one from Ray Weaver who is just another hour away from me.

Steve

I have a want-a-be cub 122 ( franky ) sitting in my yard that shure could use a carb.
Got the engine all nice and painted up in its new color. ( IH red ) and will start on the rest of tractor once I can breath life into the motor.
Franky was built useing parts from many different cubs such as a 102,105,122,126 and a few others. He aint the prettiest cub, but he should be able to do his job once fully assembled.

This is not a add for a carb, I am awaiteing the return of 2 carbs.

(Message edited by lbuttke on July 29, 2004)

Steve,
Thanks for the offer of help, I have put the word out to Mr. Weaver, i am sure he will have something. I am not that far either, I always seem to come away with more than I need, even a project or two. Thanks for the offer. I will keep you up to date. Never done any work on the rear end of a cub. Thanks for all the help. Owen.

Hello All.
I hope someone can help.
I have a 125 Hydrostatic, a great machine.
But am having a little ( Big ) trouble with the tranny.
There are no leaks or cracks in or on the tranny.
However while using the tractor slowed down on it's own, and then the shift handle seemed stuck.
Now the shift handle moves freely, but the transmission is not working.
I have removed the seat and housing and it appears that some part from the linkage is missing.
I have checked the " FAQ " questions and my linkage does not match the pictures described here. Thank you F. Ford

Kenny thanks for the info. My block is broken inside where the bore comes down into the block. I would desribe it as the skirt area of the block. The crank is scorn pretty badly. No way 10 thousands would clean it up. There are some teeth of one of the balance shafts as well.

I know the oil dipstick is on the opposite side of the bock. Couldn't I just use my old oil pan, and make a plate for the dipstick hole, and use my old dipstick as well? What do you mean when you say "straight sided vareity"?

Bryan B. I'm from Boonville, Indiana and work in Evansville. Shoot me an email and maybe we can get together sometime. I've only messed with one wide frame, but have 20+ narrow frame Cub Cadets. Always willing to talk Cub Cadets.

Added a 104 to my fleet of Geardrive(s). Now I have a total of 2 Cub Cadets. Last owner said it was running a few months back. Will post pictures in the next few days
later
<font color="808080">{</font><font color="0000ff">:</font><font color="ff6000">-</font><font color="808080">{</font><font color="aa00aa">)</font>
With 1200 & 104 In Southeastern Virginia

Anyone have any information on a possible IH #3 garden cart? Saw one today that's still in decent shape. It's about the same dimension box as a #2 trailer but with a sloped back (about the same angle as the back of a #1 trailer) and no fenders.

Also got to see a working McCormick Deering PA-50 power unit. In it's day that had to be the horse of all horses!!!

Greetings,
My name is Mark Martino, I am a new to the board. I just bought a IHCC 982 (red) and am looking forward to learning about it. I met several people from the board at the Freeport show, and look forward to future conversation and shows. Any info on parts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
[email protected]

Wyatt,
20585.jpg

Bryan Baker,
When Paul Funk offers help, accept!

Paul, thanks for all your help! I obviously missed the Boonville show -- Finding a temporary place in Indy, finishing up in Evansville, etc., is more work than I thought!! Real sorry I won't be around for help with the tranny control and Kohler on my 149. I sure hope I can find a place where I can keep the 106 and 149 in Indy. I'm glad for the new job, but don't want it to mess up my cub time!

Charlie

Hi Fredrick!

Not being able to see your linkage, my guesses here will be little more than conjecture and experience, so if you can snap and post a digital picture of the linkage, any of us could verify, but:

Based on your description, it SOUNDS like the short link going from the brake-pedal bellcrank to the neutraling-cam-plate is either broken, or missing some parts... or some other component has come loose.

The first half of your description (slowing down) sounds like one of the ratio-control links had become un-lock-nutted, and was vibrating out. Then 'handle stuck' sounds like it had fallen out and jammed against something... and 'moving freely now but not controlling tractor' sounds like it's dangling, and the other end has fallen into the grass, or onto the deck somewhere.

All this being said, rest assured that you DON'T have serious problems... the hydrostat is most likely just fine, as is the transaxle... they're essentially bulletproof (literally, for anything smaller than a good rifle-round), and you've not had anything happen that put it in any self-destructive condition. It's simply a matter of correcting the linkage, and returning to the joys of cubbing.

Anybody got a digital picture of a 125 or similar linkage they can post for Fred? I don't have one here at the hotel... but I'll bet if he SAW one that was right, he'd KNOW what was missin' and Messin!

DK :)

Wanted to thank all you guys for the kind words, thoughts and prayers when my Father passed away. It was very quick and unexpected. I am recovering and getting things back together. I'm hoping to make the Great Oregon Steam-up on Sat. It will be good to get back to some Cub time and see a few of you that can make the west coast meet.

Thanks again to all of you Great bunch of guys.

Hydro Harry
Hydros ARE Forever

Hydro Harry, good to see you post. My sympathy goes out to you.

I am really looking forward to seeing some pics of the Brooks show with you, Bucket, and Jerry, hopefully Bob as well... Bucket said last year that he was bringing his 149 and the loader. Me thinks that Doug's refurbished 149 next to your restored 169 will make an awesome pic! Here's a pic of Dougs completed 149.
20587.jpg

Bryan, the sides of the block go straight down to the squarish oil pan (base). Some blocks have mounting lugs or tabs on them to acept a large oil base. These extensions on the casting are on the carb and S/G side of the block. Kenny

Wyatt -

Note the wording in the description - "...easily attached and detatched from the riding mower."

The #3 was marketed as an accessory for the Cadet.

Wyatt...if you check the measurements in that post of Diggers.you will see that it is way smaller than a #2.the whole thing will set in a #2.it has like 4" wheels on it.they were suppoesly built as an attachment for the cadet76.i have one that i am restoreing.unlike the picture though mine is a dump...

Back