• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 27, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoffman

displayname
Tom Hoffman
Charlie,
I said I was <u>driving</u> a <u>1947</u> FARMALL H not asking ??'s about it. Not REALLY, REALLY tires, just tired. I guess this is for you today. :cool:
bottom.gif

Man is every freakin body crabby today or what!

I'll quote your post Tom!!!!!!!!!!
{By Tom Hoffman (Thoffman) on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 01:21 pm:

I was part of the McHenry County Farm Bureau's 10th annual "Tractot Trek" last weekend from McHenry Illinois to Lake Geneva Wisconsin. I had a great time with the 1974 Farmall H.

Poor Tom. When I saw Tractot I thought it must be a tractor ride to benefit kids. I figured someone would pick up on the 74 H.
Not much CC progress around here this week. Did find a spare grease fitting/bolt for Matthew's mower deck. Used threadlocker on it when I put it back together. That's the second time I've seen this happen - the first was on a friend's 123. He hauled it 90 miles to have me fix it.
happy.gif

We had an H. She helped turn woodland into a pasture.
242239.jpg

This is Emma, the 123 that Jim Chabot hauled up here years ago with the deck that we got from Lewis Palma at the Zagray Farms Show in Colchester, CT. I'm not a bit ashamed of the way it cuts/mows.
A local stopped by today to get a washer for the front wheel on his 125. His theory is that old overgrown fields here in Maine should be reopened for pastureland - we're not as prone to droughts.
happy.gif

HA-HA.... a 1974 "H" would be a FARMALL 544... was a real nice diesel w/ wide frt end as the cover tractor on the last issue of RPM.

I don't think a CC in decent shape would have a problem with 50 miles. I'd do something like Lonnie B does, put some taller tires on the thing, plus maybe over-drive reduction gears. You'd maybe have to have a spare gallon or two of gas. A gear drive would be the way to go. With 3-1/2 quarts of Hy-Tran splashing around there shouldn't be any over-heating problems. And the stock frt wheel bearings would be fine. Anyone ever figured up how many miles they drive mowing their lawn?

BILL J. - Lucas is correct. I used the flywheel, blower backing plate, & flywheel enclosure off the K301 in my #129 on the K321 to drop it into my #72. I didn't want to cut up the frame on my 72. I will say one thing, the K321 gains RPM like a Formula 1 race car engine. And the K301 that got the bigger flywheel, ect became a slug. Still pulled good, but was slower to gain RPM.

Over-all, the K321 in the 72 has been a great performing tractor. IH never made a GD over 12 HP, but over doubling the HP of the 72 hasn't caused any problems what so ever. The extra HP is really nice when I run the lawn vac. Pulling the tractor & mower, plus the vac unit, plus a cart full of clippings or leaves was more than a 10 HP could really handle. I'd guess the total weight of the loaded vac was something around 2000 pounds.

How is Jim Chabot? He had a demo original that I thought was too cool.

Dennis,

An acre is 43560 sf. A 44" mower is 3.67' wide. At 100 percent efficiency it would take 11,880 ft to mow. Which is 2.25 miles. With the overlaps, and other inefficiencies, I would guess that it would take 3 - 4 miles per acre.

Does it take you an hour at 3 mph to mow an acre?

Mowed the lawn two weeks in a row & it's making up for early dormancy. Aired up front tire on 882 Diesel, hooked up Brinly & plowed tall weeds over between yard and corn field. I didn't want to play with Jari until I have more putzing time. Saw the CC in the weeds again, need to stop for closer look ...105/125?
Shift.gif

Wow Ken, good math. I was told my 71 mowed two acres almost weekly during its mowing life, (upto 2001ish), so with it's 38" deck it did about 8-9 miles a mowing, so it did around 180 miles a year for about 31 years, mowing and towing, so about 5580 miles all told!!
err.gif

We must be in the summer doldrums if we're converting tractor hours into miles driven by a tractor.
smile.gif

Doldrums:
Merriam-Webster
1 a spell of listlessness or despondency
2 often capitalized : a part of the ocean near the equator abounding in calms, squalls, and light shifting winds
3 a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump

Wikipedia:
The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage for those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The low pressure is caused by the heat at the equator . . . The doldrums are noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered boats for periods of days or weeks.

Note: It doesn't help that its raining so hard the satellite is out.

Dennis,
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

IH never made a GD over 12 HP,<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Don't forget, the 582 is a 16 hp gear drive, and IH built some of them......<font size="-2">but it's red, do they count ?
lol.gif
</font>

OK You guys busted me. I guess I should spellcheck or maybe datecheck my posts. The profits of the Tractor Trek went to Ag in the Classroom so kids can figure out that corn and milk isn't. "made" at Walmart.

PAUL - I guess we have to count the 582 even though it's got a B&S engine.

MTD got brave and put the 3-spd & creeper into the 1806 model for a short time. Think that was around 1990-'91.

BILL J. - That's Jim Chabot's '61 Original "White Demostrator".

Not sure what Jim is up to anymore, sure miss seeing some of his creations. Last tractor he was working on what a twin-engine 100 I think it was, had two rearends also for 4-wheel drive.

TOM - Education about farming and food/fiber production IS very important. I went to college with a girl that didn't realize that "Popcorn" grew on a stalk like field corn and you have to shell the kernals off the cob.

Charlie,
I know you have something more in that noggin that you ain't saying!
devil1.gif

I finally got my 1250 nightmare road worthy. The engine is sitting on its cradle, I have adjusted the ISO mounts to what I believe to be reasonable based largely upon the conversations on this forum.

I have painted the front end, grill hood and side curtains. Overall, it doesn't run too bad; as long as there are no fillings in the operator's teeth.

I put the side curtains on for the first time this evening to take the tractor for a ride. Do those side curtains just hang on the tractor? Is there a certain trick to attaching them to the tractor? It is no wonder that there are so many Quietlines without them. It just doesn't seem like they fit. What am I missing?

ADD, OCD, 123, Baby, You and Me!

Brian, Brian, Brian - we know you got "fillin's in your teeth" so you better smooth out that 12hp engine. I suspect you have it idling to low. Turn it up to between 1200 to 1500 RPMs. I think IH set the idle a bit faster to avoid some of the shaking.
Now, for the side curtains (most of us call them panels), yes there is a bit of a trick to installing them. With the hood open you need to slip the front lower edge in first in the area of the front of the frame and lower grill housing, then set the rear lower bottom of the panel up against the frame and make sure the top of the panel slips just underneath the dash. You should have a wing bolt to hold the back of the panel in a threaded hole just below the lower edge of the dash on each side. Then you use a spring across both panel to hold them both somewhat tight/snug. There is a little hole in the top of the panel towards the front. The spring connect both panels together. If I recall correctly the spring stretches across the top of the muffler box. Once you get the hang of how they mount it's really easy to install them. Also, many of us believe the overall design of the Quiet Lines takes the side panels into consideration as part of the cooling necessary for the engine (at least many of us think so), so I really recommend you keep the panels installed when operating the tractor. Otherwise the hot exhaust gets sucked right back around the enginem. Hope this helps - maybe Kraig - Oh Great One - Keeper of the Photos, will have some pics that could help you - they would be worth at least my 1000 word essay above.

I've never been much on cubs painted "off colors" but that original looks good in all white.

Back