• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 25, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff-

I'm still looking as you were just a few weeks ago. That's a nice looking tractor. Have you seen what the trunion looks like yet? And does it have much of a whine?

Had my 129 out mowing yesterday. I'm a little behind but getting there. I stopped mowing to go into the house for a bottle of water. When I returned gas was coming from the carb/breather. I started to flip a coin to see whether I should just keep mowing or clean the darn thing. I went ahead and cleaned it: the rebuild isn't that old. It works fine again now.

Wayne no time yet to check the trunion but it has no creep or whine, it was in good hands before me..

Keep looking and listening one will come your way

Wayne: If you get your hands on a 169, expect a visit from me, I want to hear it too.
smile.gif

Wyatt: Good, informative post, thanks for contributing to the collective knowledge of the forum.

WYATT - I think we're ALL really interested ( know I am!) in seeing your Wheatland 141 when it's done. You've really put a LOT of great work into it. Glad you're getting back working on it!

BILL J. - The white smoke is probably vapors from the breather cover. It's engine blow-by, little oil vapor, little water vapor. All engines do it. If the engine isn't using a lot of oil I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I mowed with a pretty stock 12 HP 129 & 44" deck for many years. I could occasionally slip the mule drive belt, but I suspect you'll bog the engine down on a K241 long before you slip a belt. If you slip a belt you better check your belt tensioners. You should be able to mow grass at a reasonable speed as long as the grass isn't real long, say 4-5 inches. Resonable pace is 3 MPH, more or less.

The 44" deck should throw clippings about 3 feet. I'd remove the deflector, I think they lead to windrowing, I've never used one. The speed-up pulley will make the deck pull harder, so I don't think it would be wise on a 10 HP tractor. If you had a smaller deck, then maybe.

I would leave the belt cover on the deck, think there's only 8-9 nuts, holding it on. They do help keep clippings from getting around the spindle pulleys, plus they keep fingers & toes from getting in the spindle drive belt. To be honest, I only remove(d) the cover on my 50C & 44A maybe once every year or two. I'd blow out the clippings, wipe the grease off the tops of the deck, make sure the idler pulley moved well, check belt condition and put the cover back on. If you don't get your tractor/mower WET, it won't rust. There's only been a couple times in my 49 yrs of mowing with CC's that I've "WASHED" a deck after mowing, and that was when I ended up mowing in the rain. The water soaked clippings were packed in so tight the mower would barely run. I do blow the tractor & mower off with compressed air after mowing every time. Compressed air doesn't promote rust.

You'll have to look closer at the steering wheel. There's normally a plastic bushing inside the top of the steering tube the steering shaft runs in. Sounds like the bushing has slid up allowing the shaft to wobble around. Several ways to fix that. Line the bushing OD up with the tube and press it down. I've used stainless steel worm gear hose clamps to clamp them to the steering tube before, or you could drill a small hole thru the tube into the bushing and insert a small short sheet metal screw. Dad removed the steering wheel and put a stack of 3/4" flat washers on the 70 years ago to cure it. These all work.

Ground speed fluctuations on a hydro is common. If it's excessive then you need to check for wear on the trunnion spring slot. Directions & repair procedure is in the FAQ's. I noramlly mow around 3 MPH, which is faster than 1st gear on my GD's, but slower than 2nd gear on my #72, about the same as 2nd gear on the #70. When the grass gets taller I'll mow slower, when it's sparce or shorter I'll mow faster. It all depends on what it looks like behind the tractor where I've mowed. I keep grass accumulation cleared from under the deck, keep the blades sharp, and keep the RPMs up so the mower runs fast enough to throw the clippings out of the deck and disburse them.

My K321 in my #72 is kinda a "fair weather tractor", it's a small flywheel K321, it's somewhat cooling limited. I normally try to mow with it when it's cooler, in the mid to low 70's, but have mowed light grass when it was mid to upper 80's. With the 982 it seems to have much more cooling capacity, but I still try to only mow when it's less than 90. That's more for ME than the tractor. The K241's should be O-K to run & mow in any temps as long as the grass screen is clear and the cooling fins are clean. When it's really hot I let the engines cool a lot longer before I shut them off. I may idle them with no load for 10-15 minutes.

Bill Jamison
I can answer that question.
(Another quick question - how fast do you mow with your Cub Cadet? Reason I ask is - I saw a zero turn mowing a ball field today and the guy driving the mower looked like his ground speed was really fast, much faster than any tractor I've got. The zero turn was giving a great cut too).

My Toro MX 4880 can cut grass at 7.5 mph with a blade tip speed of 18,000 fpm . It will mow at that speed and give a great cut blowing clippings about 3.5 ft . I looked and found the clipping at that speed are about 3/4" long. If the speed of the Z turn is cut down to half 3.5 mph the discharge is just a dust. I have cut 3.5 inches off the grass I cut last week by making a pass and checking to see what I had cut ,the 22 hp Kawasaki engine did not even break a sweet. I have only hear the governor cut in once mowing up a steep grade at full ahead. Gas is now 1.7 gallons in 2 hrs mowing 4 acres going as fast as I can get it to go lol.Took the owner of the property almost 4 hrs to mow and I can mow the same yard in under 2 hrs.He has an 1862 with the big deck. Later Don T

With all the talk about mowing speeds and increasing blade speed, I have to own up to an experiment. I mow most weeks at our church weed patch. It is rough and mostly weeds so I wasn't getting a satisfactory cut all the time and couldn't travel at high speeds. I decided rather than speed up the deck I would add an extra blade. I found a set of blades that match the offset of the IH blades almost perfectly when installed. The offset is less than 1/16" so they mow very well. The deck has a new sound but everything else is the same. So far I am well pleased with the results. Only time will tell if bearing or belt life will be reduced. The deck is a 44C on a 782 repowered with a Kohler 25HP V twin. In heavy grass it has about a 6 foot roostertail of clippings with the baffle removed. I know some of you will think I'm nuts but those extra blades give me almost a perfect cut 99% of the time.

I would think cutting speed would be determined by all the above mentioned and also if you run a spring assist. With a spring assist on my 169 and 44C deck with speed up pulley i can mow really fast but the deck will bounce up and not cut properly. When i restored the 44C i did not put the pulley cover back on. I do not get on or off the tractor with the deck running. I mowed yesterday with the 169 and the temp. was 98F. Me and the 169 got pretty warm but it preformed flawlessly. A 169 in my opinion is the best mowing tractor that IH made. But personal preference is why they made several models.
Bill J i mowed the 1.5 acres for a lot of years with a 100 and 48" deck. The 10HP will serve you well as a mower if you give it time.

DON - No, I went back and watched some more TV. But I'm up now.

DAVID C. - I can see how a second blade on each spindle would improve cutting ability of a deck. I would almost think you could use identical blades and still get a better cut. The blades are only 1/8th to 3/16ths inch thick. The upper blade would cut the tall stuff and the lower blade would cut to the finished height. I know ALL my decks have struggled cutting tall grass or weeds. Takes several passes to get stuff over 6-8 inches tall cut. The deck housing pushes it over and the blades don't have enough suction to stand it back up inside the housing.

Jim Diederichs posted last spring that his neighbor used a hole saw to add air inlets on the housing of his 44 or 50 inch deck, I forget which he said it was, and the deck moved a L-O-T more air and did a much better job of mowing because it straightened the grass up while being cut. The second set of blades does about the same thing.

As long as both blades on a spindle are balanced there should be no harm to the mower. I could see it pulling slightly harder since it's cutting up and throwing the clippings better. Fuel use would be a bit higher, and belt life may be slightly reduced, but if you don't slip or burn a belt you'd never be able to tell.

Hi Guys,

I was not able to find the proper upper link and would like to make one. Sometime if someone messing around with the 982 and has the ball jointed top link showin in the parts diagram (17 and 18). could you please tell me what the dimensions of the body are and the thread size. I don't want to make one and find out it's going to be too short or two long. Since I don't have any equipment yet.
242177.gif

242178.jpg

Thanks

Lucas,

I checked xtreme motor works and CC's website they don't have the proper one. The 982 link is totally different. on the back of the 982 it has a 1/2" hole and is only 9/16 wide. The one from extreme will not work because both holes are 5/8" and is wider than 9/16",. The one at CC's could work, but is for the newer style tractor. Can not garenty it will make the correct length. This is why I am asking.

Found my Father a new k-181 for the 70, and had it shipped to him. He sent this picture today, saying that he had to paint it yellow before installing.

242198.jpg

I did a mod to my cub and here is a teaser photo,
more in the cool and better than new section

242216.jpg

Dennis F - you mentioned: "My K321 in my #72 is kinda a "fair weather tractor", it's a small flywheel K321, it's somewhat cooling limited."

My question is - is this typical of the K321 used on Cub Cadets or did you swap out the original flywheel for another type/style?

Just curious.

Bill, a n/f cub can't fit anything bigger than a k-301 without widening the frame, so he took a smaller flywheel and bearing plate off a k-301 and bolted it to his k-321 so it would fit right into his 72.

I was part of the McHenry County Farm Bureau's 10th annual "Tractot Trek" last weekend from McHenry Illinois to Lake Geneva Wisconsin. I had a great time with the 1974 Farmall H. At the end of the ride the question/statment/challenge came up about taking a Cub Cadet on the run next year. Now I'm very interested in taking up the challenge. I know Mid West Super Cub can hook me up with the gearing to get me to about 15-18 mph., but I'm not too sure about how the steering axle bearings would hold up to a run of a 50 miles in a day. How about the rear axle? Over heating? Any thoughts other than doing the upgrade to the front alxe?

I took an air compressor to my cub yesterday blowing all the crud off; I couldn't believe how much yellow paint it had on it!

Tom, not only the front bearings, but I would have concern over the entire steering system. Not that it will wear out, but any slop at 15mph may have you wandering the road. I'm not sure just how tight one can get and 'ole Cubs steering. Other thought is bigger fuel tank ?? An AirForce aerial tanker aint gonna work ! :)

Back