• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Archive bug.....
aaaa_tongue2.gif

My wife asked me why in the world did I buy another cub cadet?
I told her "because I can!"
biggrin.gif

Harry,
went out this morning and it fired right up..i have NO idea why it wouldn't start last night..
the wires on the tractor have all been replaced with the exception of the lighting (unlike my other 147 which has a friiied wiring harness)
the humming definitely sounded like hydraulics, but it didn't budge and was in neutral..perhaps it was a fluke occurance..I really don't know

on another note, Friday I will be picking up another 147, I'm excited and anxious to get it home and tinker....it's missing the carb and air cleaner housing assembly, has a deck and 2 lift carriages

Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to getting it up and running. Harry you were spot on with the engine needing to be re-bored and the crankshaft ground. I had a place that would have done it back in Wisconsin, however didn't have the money for it initially in high school. Figured I'd be able to find somewhere else down here but that's proving harder than I thought. I'll keep looking and appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Wayne & Dennis, thank you for the welding instructions for frame repair. Denny, you're exactly right, the fresh paint blinded me. Things are not always what they seem. I need to develop a healthy skepticism regarding prospective purchases. Things may yet work out, though.

Wayne, I get over your way quite often. In-laws in Durham and Person County. I'll have to look you up when I have time to visit.

Marty G...Wondering what size mower deck those old blades fit in your recent photo? At least one of them (the one with the pointed wing tips) is the old original style. I'm curious how many inches long it is? Did you receive my recent email?

Dan - I don't like those "fluke" occurences. They have a habit of occuring again. I have no idea what could be humming in the hydraulics and without a center frame cover to remove and eyeball what you have, well you can't see whole lot of what you have. I'd still crawl underneath and have a good look at what you can see. Heck - maybe you have a humming bird in there
1a_scratchhead.gif

Joe - kinda figured the crank and bore. Now if we could just find someone knowledgeable down in the 3 states surrounding Arkansas. I know there's gott be someone in Missouri. I'm hoping someone will see the message and respond.

Dan
Just a thought but check your battery connections for corrosion. They can corrode up but will ark some in the terminal and cause a buzzing type of noise. And the ark can burn thru and reconnect. Not likely your problem but an easy check.

battery connections are good and clean..I've started it several times since and no issues

Dan - well, I guess all you've got to fix now is that new to you 147 you're supposed to pick up today. Make sure you post us some pics.

Shultzie - Gear Grinder Gary works better.
roflol.gif

Dsn,

Are you sure it was an electrical buzz? Reason I ask, because there have been times on one or our 149's if the tractor is not running, but not sitting level (like a small hill or tilt bed trailer) or if the hydro gets out of adjustment. When trying to start the tractor the hydro will make and odd growling noise until the engine starts, some time to the point you have to pull the hydro dump lever to get it to start due to the drag on the engine. Just a thought...... it is an odd noise, but not something I would personally think was electrical.....

Hmm... To stir or not to stir ye ole pot. I am typically a GD fan, but I do love to drive anything that has IH on it!

it sounded hydraulic to me, but the tractor starts too fast and is too loud once running to tell if it does it all the time
pics will be posted as soon as I get it home and unloaded harry
as well as pics of my other 2 147's and my 107

on a side note..i got an offer for my 128 today..was offered a 107 with no motor, harness, seat, or speed control assembly..the guy was rude when I declined..as much as I prefer the 1x7 series (obviously), I can't trade a whole tractor for half of one

Steve S.,

There are four blades in the pic, all four have the "wing tips". Two of them are approximately 10-3/8" long and 2" wide at the center. The other two are about 10-3/4" long and 2-1/2" wide.
I will probably keep them since I have about 7-9 mowing decks, with one of them being an "O" deck.

Trying to post somewhere about my 1650 cub the plate that hold my air cleaner the 3 bolts that go into the car two are stripped out should i tap it or buy new carb is in good shape besides this thanks!

Marty-- Of the four blades only three are visible in the photo. Of these, I'm quite sure only the one on top has the pointed wings, the other two have the flatter type wings. I'd gladly send you three more long (center) blades, free of charge to you, in exchange for the one short on top...email me if you would be up for that.

Danial / Harry,
No I don't want to start anything.
uhoh.gif

I had to post something. Heck I thought it was broke.
roflol.gif

Nick F.:
coffee.gif

I haven't done it, myself (yet), but others have tapped and installed larger screws. The top one should be a piece of cake but the 2 by the choke shaft might be a little tricky. The last choke shaft I removed never did get put back together - there was little retaining ball on the forward end of the shaft that went AWOL and never came back. Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back