• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow up from the Owl's Head truck/tractor show. Wanted to take my "pretty" 122 up but when I went to start it Thursday PM the gas was running thru the carb. Since I didn't have a carb kit and also the seditment bowl had a bolt in it instead of a needle, I settled on taking the 70. Went to workshop Thurday evening and dropped off the 70 and the '29 AA Jitterbug. Friday AM I installed a new sediment bolw and cleaned the needle and seat which had a piece of crud in it. Too late to bring the 122 but it's running great now. Went up Friday evening with the Grumman and Airstream. Hadn't eaten anything all day so was anxious to get the grill going. Brought the Jitterbug over and went back for the 70. It wouldn't start - turned out the generator strap bolt had backed out and was jamming the pulley. Wound that it but it still wouldn't start. Best way to meet the guys at a show is to start tinkering - however I really wanted to eat. Never did run the 70 all weekend. Led the tractor parade both days on the jitterbug. When I went back this PM to retrive the 2nd load, I brough a new plug - she fired right up. Had a great time, everything is back home in one piece, and have 3 cubs running now. Also just got a call and a the offer I made on a LO-Boy this PM was accepted. Need to pick that up tomorrow. It's a yellow and white one so that puts it in the mid to late 60's. I'll post a pic and a link to the show pics when I get them.

Had a good weekend at Thresherman Park in Boonville, Indiana this weekend. Saturday was a great day. Didn't count them, but there were a lot of garden tractors and a lot of Cub Cadets. Met several "lurkers" and enjoyed talking to them. Was so busy that I neglected to take a picture of my lineup at the show but did get a picture when they were lined up waiting to be cleaned up before the show.

20491.jpg

Also, got the plow for the Mini-H painted. If everyone makes one that said they were going to, there's going to be a lot of pull type plows at the next show.

20492.jpg

Little G show is comming up in Dyersville on Aug 7th and 8th.Should we start a head count for Cub Cadets?I hope the ground is not as hard as the last time for plowing.It was like concrete.

Jonathan/Matt G. -

Should be easy enough to write something like that in PHP...

Jonathan -

If they misspell it with an "i", I usually prefer the "i" to follow the "a" rather than precede it
wink.gif

Mike M. -

It spent 10 years as a makeshift parking lot for the show, not for growing crops. I doubt it'll ever get any better unless someone starts really working it...

Doug, have a great time and get some pics for me. I already told you about the trailer... I hope you have as much fun this year as we did last year. I imagine your taking the F250, along with the 106 and the 149. Hopefully Harry will bring that awesome 169, and Jerry will bring his Original with the Danco loader. Should make a great pic!

Richard, Take it in your own unique, personnal, special way. I figured that the highlighted name would explain it... Obviously I was wrong. BTW, I would rather give praise than scorn. If you don't like my name that is in there than take it up with the person who put it there!!!!!

The other week I got a circa Oct.'79 782 with a 18 HP Kohler Magnum from a fellow forum member and am now giving it complete fluid and filter changes. Though the hydro filter was changed at some point by a PO, the hy-tran doesn't seem ever have been changed as red paint was on the edge of the gasket. And the inside of the differential was covered in a waxy slime. Wow, hy-tran at work grabbing that water! Now I'm preparing to change the engine oil and filter. Surprise: my two local Cub dealers no longer stock the CC low ash SAE 30, which I was told years ago to religously use. I've got two other nearby CC dealers to call and check stock, but in case I strike out, what other brands of dino oil do you recommend? Also, the engine is leaking/blowing some oil, so I'll plan to add some Marvel Myster Oil to the gas and crankcase per the FAQ and see if that helps. I mention this in case it affects the type of oil you recommend.

Paul -I would love to see more pictures of that Mini-H!! That's killer!

Roy N. That question could spur the "great oil controversy" but each person has their own opinion on what oil to use. I like the Castrol 30wt. Some run synthetic, and others run 10W30 etc. I hope that the MMO works for you, unfortunately my 123's engine has the same problem except now it is REALLY blowing oil out the breather and MMO didn't help. I will rebuild it when I get back.

I am interested in aquiring an early Cadet Cub
model but not sure it will fit in my full size
van. Can anybody give me the dimensions of the
tractor? (length, width and height (of the
steering wheel)?
thanks for any info
Bob Wilkinson

MMO will not fix leaking, but may, over a length of time slightly decrease oils consumption due to stuck rings/carbon deposits.

MMO works best as a prevenative maintenance tool, not a fix-all. Used in the fuel and crankcase oil it fights carbon build-up as it starts to occur.......but, let it go too long and the MMO may be "outgunned"

Bottom line, if a 30 year old Kohler leaks and smokes, MMO probably ain't gonna fix it.

Thanks for the input on the 147, I haven't really seen to many of them out there. Went to the tractor show in freeport illinois,and was a ittle disappointed to see only about 7 cubs, but at least they were lined up with the bigger stuff.first time we took the whole gang out all four of them to an event since my little girl abbie was born a month ago,she seems to like tractors in a quiet content way. Besides ken's great book are there any others that discuss or picture the cadet? shawn

Rick M., thanks for the kind words. You can check out www.cubcadetman.com for a few more pictures and a description of how I built the mini-H. I have some more stuff I'd like to put there, but haven't had the time.

Donnie H., those would be Dan Hoefler's creations. A Cub Cadet 100 based crawler and a Cub Cadet based 100 4WD. If I recall my history correctly, Dan used to restore Cletrac crawlers and wanted to build a small replica and in the process he discovered Cub Cadets. He's also made some other custom Cub Cadets.

20496.jpg

20497.jpg

Paul F., good to see some more photos of your mini H with plow and mini 560! I hope to see them in person some day. :eek:)

Jeffrey, Richard, Jonathan, all, come on now gentlemen, lets be above all that!

Question to those that have done a "Super steer" upgrade.

Have you noticed that the front end sits a little higher?? Now that I have Foxtrot sitting on its tires the rear sits about an inch lower. All be it that my rear tires are about 15 inches further back than normal.....

Shawn L. -

You must've missed that posts here that said that a few of us would be in Freeport on Saturday - there were most certainly more than 7 Cub Cadets in attendance then.

Saturday is the more popular day for show attendance in IL, where Sunday seems more popular in WI.

Anyone know of a website showing production year or month, by serial number, for the Kohler K or M engines?

John Cabrel---- No way to lap valves with the motor inframe. You will need to take measures to clean and remove ALL of the lapping compound from the block. Much better to do this one on your workbench. While you are at it rehone the block and get a new set of rings. A poor man's rebuild works out most of the time, just doesn't last forever. A new connecting rod is worth the money while you are in there.

Just got a note from Harry!!! Looks like he will be making it to Brooks Oregon to open the Cub Collage this year. Still have not heard from Bob??????

Jerry,

I've lapped them in the frame. If you are using so much compound that it makes that much of a mess, you are using too much. I turn in the tappet adjusting screws to get a big air gap, then lap the valves with my cordless drill and suction cup lapping rod. I put just a dab of compound on. No issues yet. I wipe off the seat when I'm done with an acetone soaked rag and it gets out all the residual compound, which isn't that much, just enough to cut that nice ring in the valve. Kenny

Back