• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 19, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Tony-

I doubt the motor is stuck like Richard says. Remove the belt from the starter/generator to the engine and see if both the engine and starter/generator will spin by hand.

What color are the headlight wires on a 100 supposed to be? I have the wiring diagram and the headlight install instructions, but the wiring diagram doesn't have the lights circuit on it, and the lights instructions don't list the colors.

Matt, Charlies FAQ's have wire diagrams for that 100 with headlights and one without.

Wife would notice if I had any in the yard, but I can squeeze 3 in the shed! Then there is the massive amounts of space up at my grandads and dads place. I could always "hide" them up there till I figure out what I'm going to do with them. Wifey says she doesnt want any tractors in the yard for fear of looking like a "redneck", she's a city girl and I've always been a country boy so we always have our differences on what is "redneck" and what isnt! I'm sure at some point she will see things my way just due to the fact that she says I'm more stubborn than anyone she has ever met! Even an old mule, so she says!!

Matt,
Yellow.

Tony
Becareful about pouring oil in the cylinder of your engine with the head on the engine. If the rings are in good shape, too much oil can hydraulically lock the engine and keep it from turning over, depending on what phase of the 4 stroke cycle the engine is in.

Tony,
I agree with Paul. If you can turn the crank by hand, it's somewhere else. If you can't turn the crank by hand <u>then</u> try pouring some MM oil into the spark plug hole, let it sit for awhile, put the tractor in 3rd gear and try rocking the tractor to see if the piston will release from the cylinder wall.

Just make sure to leave the sparkplug out after pouring 1 oz of oil in the cylinder. 1 oz is what the owners manual suggests for bringing back to life a stored engine. If I remember correctly.

I got a couple of questions for the pros.
I rebuilt my front pto to spec with a kit from guys up top. I was box scrapping the drive for a few hours with the clutch disengaged. I noticed it good real hot and distorted the "3 wing thing" inward. I took it out bang it flat and that worked for a bit but now I notice pto is slipping again and the 3 wing is inward. Can I buy just the " 3 wing"? Any advice? Maybe I need one to grade and one to mow?

I had started on this in hopes of getting it done for RPRU. It's done, but due to some health issues that surfaced with my wife, we will not make it to RPRU. The "O" is S/N 653, and is a recoil start.
162821.jpg

162822.jpg

162823.jpg

Hey CHARLIE...did you have a good look at the photos Paul Bell posted on the previous page about LP+reg heads!? Super! Prolly not a whole lot of interest generally, but sure would be a nice thing if he gave you permission to post those on your FAQ about LP heads. JMHO
thumbsup.gif

Paul Bell,

There is a lot about these Cub Cadets I have to learn. Here is one you can remove from the list.

Why can't we see the fins on the cylinder?

And was the other side too shiny to photograph properly?
err.gif

Paul Bell . I will be happy if my O ever looks half that good. Nothing like an O.lawn wowing to do (I like the smell of a fresh cut lawn ) later Don

Richard
The left side looks like most Originals, the right side of this one doesn't because it does not have a Starter/Generator, so I took pictures of the "different side", but just for you
162825.jpg

You can't see the fins on the block because they are covered on the right side and part of the front, by a piece of sheet metal that directs cooling air around the engine fins.

Looks Great Paul!! Too bad you're not making the RPRU, it's been a while since I've seen you. Last time was in Sandwich, Illinois.

Tom
We had planned to be there, until her heart related problems surfaced. The last time I saw some of you northern mid-west forum members was either at Little G, an Iowa plow day, or one of the Big Steve/Middle Steve plow days, all several years ago, and I was looking forward to meeting again.

Paul,
First things first. Take care of your wife!!!There will be another RPRU. I think the next RPRU is in Indy and we'll see you then.

Hi to everybody, I have a buddy who's 782 doesn't charge, I think it has to do with 1 fuse not having power. I didn't want to tear it apart to trace the wires, so I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for it? Need to get ready for EXPO!! Thanks in advance, Rick

RPalmer,
Thanks for the reply. I have been gone all day and I posted to the forum at 3:30 AM, so I may not have been clear. The previous owner has been showing the tractor a 63 or 64 Original for some time now. He has been starting it pretty regularly. The motor turns over fine by hand. I suspect that the generator / starter is at fault. I am going to have it tested Monday. The previous owner tried to start the engine, and just held the starter button down and cooked a couple wires. I do not know, but I guess that either the Starter / Generator has failed or the voltage regulator?? I mean, new battery, key switch and starter button seem to be fine. I am a sports photographer, NOT an electrician. so I'd welcome all feedback / ideas!
thanks,
Tony P

I did a bit more shakedown and tying up some of the loose ends on my 102 project. Here's the highlights:

162832.jpg

I cleaned up the wiring on the pedestal, which included replacing the red battery cable, and fabricating a more proper battery hold down than the bungee cable I was using yesterday. I made it out of some shelving upright angle iron I had laying around. I also added some welting I took from an old tractor seat and molded it around the hood support to reduce the amount of rattles the hood makes. It helps, but I will probably need to glue down the welting.

162833.jpg

Here is a shot of the wiring up by the headlights and voltage regulator. I ran a new wire for the lights (red) and zip tied it to the harness. You don't want to know what the old wire looked like!

162834.jpg

Here is a shot of the tractor out by the vineyard. Notice the lights actually work!

162835.jpg

Here is a shot of the tractor from the back. I installed the filler panel and the reflectors.

Lewis, you were right about the location of the choke cable support, it supports the cable about an inch or two from the end of the casing.

Back