• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art...Could that page from the manual be a generic layout used for all the IH's of the time ? The full size older tractors would have had a generator. The most important part for this discussion however is cleared up on the same page...<u>not necessary when working with a motor generator</u>

coffee.gif

Morning everyone!

Mornin guys,Art the bolts are a remote 12 volt acsess for a pump sprayer and a 12 volt drill I sometimes use out in the yard,I have a weather proof switch on the dash,I hated wires hanging when useing 12 volt attatchments,the chains are for floating attatchments,thats a narrow frame hitch I came up with,it works great,but had to cut fenders,they werent in very good shape to begine with,I have another set if I restore this one,but am having to much fun to put out to pasture"LOL", thanks agian.

Ken, Nice job on the trip bucket!

Matt, the clock is ticking but I am sure you'll be done by Midnight or so on Wednesday so you can bring it to RPRU early Thursday morning. Keep up the great work!

I picked up the rest of the attachment pieces for my Haban sickle mower last night. The former owner has a CASE with the Large rear wheels so I have have to fab some to get this to work on a Cub.

Kraig, I am thinking this Haban will get mounted on a 125. Do you think a 125 can handle a Haban sickle mower? I went and visited the 125 last night and it is ready for a tune up.

VINCE - My Buddy bought a JD 317 in decent runnable shape with a mounted HABAN 416 sickel mower at an auction about 2-3 months ago. Tractor & mower sold separate but He only paid $300 total. Mower had so little use there was barely any scratches in the paint on the bottom of the sickel bar.

A 125 should be PLENTY of tractor on a Haban. You may have to run some weight on the left side rear wheel, but a 125 may be heavy enough to not need it for most conditions. A Hydro is a good choice also since You can run half throttle and still get good ground speed to cover a lot of ground fast. With a good sharp sickel & ledger plates those mowers cut really well and don't pull hard at all.

One word of caution I've read in the HABAN manuals is the driveshaft running under the tractor to the mower just runs in bronze bushings and should be lubricated every hour of operation. I've read a post on another forum where they will weld the shaft solid if you run them 3-4 hours without greasing.

Jerry D,

You could buy the narrow frame blade setup since the price is right and its local, then find a subframe and lift arm for a wide frame to make it work on your 129.

John U,

The self-powered version of the 59M shredder came with a only 5 hp Briggs & Scrapiron engine that was big enough to work. Your 73 would provide adequate power for it. I've always wondered if there is an upper horsepower limit on the mounted versions where you could tear things up.

Matt G,

Your getting there, keep up the great work.

Dennis,
Sound like a nice deal on the JD 317 and Haban.

I picked up my Haban 2 years ago, just had to get it out of a friend's shed before it got thrown into the dumpter. Looks to be in good shape, has the guard over the sickle. I then talked to his brother-in-law who said he had a few more parts at home, well I finally got them yesterday. Last August I picked up a couple 125s, a 105, and a 123. I am now getting closer to mating the Haban to a 125.

I plan to fill the left side tires with fluid-windshield washer fluid-when I get that far. Plus possibly add some weights too.

I'll definitely make sure I have that driveshaft lubed! Thanks for the tip!

Well I'm finished for awhile. No more parts, no more money and no more adjustments. Here's a couple of things I've learned lately that should help new Cub owners.
1.) If you pull your carb... check your valve adjustment while you are there.
2.) If your leaky sediment bowl stem magically stops leaking... you're out of gas
3.) You HAVE TO RE TORQUE A NEW HEAD GASKET! I wanted to see if newer gaskets really needed re torquing. I torqued my head to 30 ft/lbs. Ran it and parked it for a couple of days. Today I went to check the head bolts starting at 25 ft/lbs. Much to my surprise they turned without clicking. I didn't see how much torque I'd lost but I redid the tightening sequence starting at 25 and then finished them off with 30 ft/lbs. This really surprised me.
4.) If your using a spray can of paint don't just start spraying at your piece. Shoot it someplace to make sure it doesn't come out like silly string and totally muck up your piece.
5.) If your throttle linkage clip goes on without some effort... take it off throw it away and get a new one. Or you may get to drive it back bent over the left side working the throttle by hand.
6.) Steering linkage sits toward the ground with the nuts facing upward. Not the other way around.

Have fun with your Cub Cadets.

Richard, that last one is wrong. The tie rod sets on top with the nuts down. If you place the tie rod on the bottom it can bind on the mower deck in certain instances. Dang, Matt beat me...
bash.gif

Kraig McConaughey and Matt Gonitzke,
Ya know the manual for a 100 shows it both ways. In one picture it shows the assembly assembled with the nuts facing up. In another picture of the parts break down it shows the nuts facing down. Which way is correct?

I forgot one. #7.) Don't start a governor adjustment with it's spring. Start with the shaft adjustment. I've been dinking around with different spring holes. I finally did the shaft and it magically works perfect now.

Richard, the tie rod should be mounted on the top with the nut facing down as I mentioned because it can bind on the mower deck. Also in the event that it does come loose with the nut down, the tie rod end should stay in the spindle allowing you some amount of control. The drag link on the other hand does mount at the left spindle with the nut up.

At least one photo of the tie rod in the 70/100 manual was corrected in the 1x2/3 manual.

162704.jpg

70/100 manual above.

1x2/3 manual below.

162705.jpg

Kraig McConaughey,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I should also thank you for a photo post you did the other day showing the set up for choke and throttle cable set ups.
I was trying to put the throttle cable clamp on 180 of what you showed. I am now squared away.

Richard P.
I call my 129 the Harley Davidson of garden tractors. Sure shakes like one when she's under load!
buttrock.gif

Jerry,
I just bought a wide frame blade because the price was very good. All 4 of my cub cadets are narrow frames. The blade is a 42” spring tip. Would it be possible to swap the frames.

my 128 with the stalling problem.

i will add "check for exhaust leak" to the list.

thanks again.

Michael Smith,
You bet. Yes.

Bruce Nolte,
I wonder if thats how at the top of the steering tube, the cap or bearing, not really sure what is in there became loose. I sit and watch the steering wheel shake like a Harley.

Back