• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 14, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
Hi Angel here. Ahhhhh, Marty G...a correction. Marlin had NOTHING to do with cleaning up the 3 season porch. I did all the hard work out there. I'm not going to give him credit and he actually said I should set ya straight..hahaha..! It was SO hot out there and I did get abit overheated by the time it was all done. Marlin DID take the majority of the 18 bags of trash to the street to be picked up. I however had to ask a business owner here in town if I could use their dumpster bin to toss my boxes and they let me..what a life saver as the city has a recycle of boxes but you have to break them all down and I didnt have the energy to do that.Funny how boxes add up. Still had boxes from when we moved in 6 years ago.

Its suppose to get up to 100 again the next few days with a heat index of who knows what, so the kitties aren't going out on the porch. Annie was out on the porch this morn and was posing so pretty in a big basket that I had put a really soft pillow in, so I snapped her pic. Guess that is what she wanted. After the flash, she got out of the basket. The kitties love to pose for pics. Really.

Chewy..do you have a fan club here? I think you are the cutest little guy ever. I bet Fancy is bigger then you. He's bigger then most little dogs..haha.!! Weighing in now at about 16# how does your kitty house mate work for ya? do you get along?

take care everyone.. busy week-end

angel

Frank, I agree with Allen about ferral cats. Ferral cats are untamed cats that usually live in colonies and eat ' wild' food ( mice). Ferral cats can be tamed if you have a lot of patience, and they can be tamed enough as Allen has shared to offer them food, and yes, they do become dependent on your feeding, so if one doesnt want to stick with it, one shouldnt start the process. As with Miss Kitty, is she just a lone Kitty that has shown up at your door step? She could then be a stray that has been lost or kicked out of her house,or a homeless that was born from homeless?... as I call them. Either way, I wouldnt put out canned food unless she does show herself. Specially in hot weather, the food would spoil quickly, and using canned food if they do present themselves is a good way to reward them for ' trusting' in their human counter-parts who have chosen to offer them care and food.

When Marlin and I lived in the rental before we bought the house in '06 there were several ' homeless' cats around our place. There was a feed and grain store kitty corner from us, and I started to set food out by the curb by the pines in the morning and afternoon and it wasn't long before the cats were coming over to eat. Of course it ticked off the neighbors, but I had a plan. To tame them and to find them homes, which we did..yeppers, with ferral, wild cats. As the females became pregnant, before they gave birth, we brought them into the garage and we had a little nursery set up in there every spring and when the little ones were adoptive age, we would adopt them out.One time the neighbor called the cops on us and the officer asked to see in the garage and so I said, of course and took him in and he was so impressed with the nursery we had set up and gave us credit for what we were doing.!! sticking my tongue out at that neighbor..((still)). In 5 years, we adopted out and found homes for 76 cats and kitties. Each spring we would have some adopters who would come back with a potential adoptee who would want one of our kittens or would want another kitten and even some mommies were adopted. It was quite the experience and I have so many stories. So, by the time we left, the neighborhood wasn't overrun with homeless cats, and we moved with fulll hearts, knowing we did our part to fix a huge problem that was created by people dumping off cats, thinking the feed store needed cats to catch mice...stupid people.!!

Marty ~Love the beach condo. have you thought of getting them some hammock slings to hang in there? they have those for kitties. Just a thought. I know some kitties love to sleep in those. Also you might think about offering some plants. Like wild oats, catnip, greens in their condo, since they can't touch grass anymore..((smiles)) just a wild thought I had.

take care...Angel

here's a pic of Annie in her basket this morning..

241486.jpg

is Fancy smoking now? hench the pack of cigs he's hiding under his belly? hehehe

241487.jpg

Hannah sitting in her big girl chair by the computer

241488.jpg

Stinker relaxing

241489.jpg

Angel, that's a great story! This neighborhood has few cats - I've come to believe that Miss Kitty is a drop-off. Thanks to you and Allen for confirming my assumption about feeding. There'll always be dry food and access to it in the Cubhouse - which is as close as I've seen her to our house. Hard to worry about winter, yet! Now -- I can change a head gasket on the CC Kohlers, but do cats just have kittens once a year?
happy.gif

Oh, and with cats, here, and wolf spiders in Firewood, where should I mention the garden snake that I almost stepped on this morning at the bottom of our cellar stairs? It didn't seem to be much enjoying the coolness of the cement floor. It's still down there, somewhere. Dogs, cats, spiders, snakes. This place is turning into a regular zoo.
happy.gif
happy.gif

241501.jpg

Frank, my crew can have two litters a year. A spring and late summer. I have two preggered ones that probabily have their batch in August. In the winter The only help, besides feeding is to supply a place out of the wind for them. I keep my shed door slightly open with an old blanket in it. I also have an old rabbit hutch that is wind proofed with straw on the bottom. A possible problem for your Miss Kitty this winter is warmth, with my crew 2 or 3 will huddle and keep each other warm. I suppose you could cut a hole in a box and put something on the bottom in your shed. Last thing might be water, I made an insulated bowl years ago and put in a small electric heater so they always have liquid water.

UPDATE: one of the pregnant mamas' just caught a big mouse or small rat in the back yard. It's just the way they like them...'mouse warm' as my wife calls it. Not a smart move with 6-8 adults and 3 kittens in the area !
old.gif

By Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:17 pm:

I've got an idea.
How about starting a new thread for all this cat talk, and let this one go back to other stuff.

We can do this. One thing I've gotten from this forum over the past years is a prodding to become more computer literate.
worthless.gif

because Miss Kitty hasn't come around for the last couple days.
sad.gif

Charlie~ Marlin and I were talking about asking you to create a new topic area for furkid talk, since it was taking on a new life of its own, and of course, in your infinite wisdom, you did just that. Thanks.! I'm sure everyone will appreicate it and will be a place everyone can share and if anyone has a question or problem they can find someone to help out.

Yeppers Allen on mamma's having two litters a year, that seems to be the norm. Sounds like you have your's set up in great shape and sheltered in the winter to keep them safe ( that warms my heart). The homeless ones never asked for that, and nothing makes me angrier then those who dump off kitties, thinking they can fend for themselves. They can't if they have been raised in a home and then dumped. growling under my breath. They more often then not die, unless they happen to make their way to a kind humans home. Ferrel kittens actually dont do much better, often surcumbing to disease. Fancy was from a " homeless mom " we named Friskers and we didnt know he existed, till one day when Marlin came home, Friskers appeared with Fancy, who's eyes were mattered shut, and so he called me out and I cleaned up his little eyes, and every day after that, like clock work, Friskers would bring Fancy out of hiding so I could tend to his eyes. As he got bigger, he came out of hiding and the rest is history. He to this day has one eye that is smaller then the other from the infections, but is fine other then that. Actually all our kitties were once ' homeless' and each has their own story. (( smiles)).

everyone have a great Sunday

Angel and the kitties

Oh Frank..I guess we owe you a thank you for starting up the new thread? Thanks..and thanks to Charlie too... whoever needs to be thanked..
Thanks.... hahaha

Angel

Frank..does Miss Kitty usually come around every day? Might me the heat or she's on the prowl. Keep us posted.

Allen, I so miss new kitties being born.Fancy does too. Every spring after we moved into our home here, he would go out and gather up little bunnies and bring them to me, figuring mommy needed babies to raise, since we didnt have our kitty nursery anymore. He was so happy when he found his OWN baby, little Annie almost 2 years ago. When we lived in the rental, he and another Tom, who we brought here with us, Tallie, they both watched over all the little ones once the were on the move, making sure no one got out on the street, or even to close. It was funny watching their first attempts to pick them up by the neck to transport them back to safer ground, but Uncle Fancy and Tallie were the gate keepers of All the babies we had over those springs and early falls with new babies.

I have a story to share. One year, Mommy Emily, a calico and her daughter Cheyene, a first year mommy were pregnant at the same time. Cheyene was so unsure and confused when she went into labor and of course didnt have the baby in the nest box I had made up for her, but on the cold cement floor, so I helped to ease her fears, and her mom Emily was watching over her with great vigilence and watching me to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong to Cheyenne. Cheyenne ended up having 4 babies. A week later I went out and the babies weren't in their box. I asked Cheyene, were did you put them and then heard their little meu's and there they were in grandmother emilys nest box and Emily had already had a baby and was in the process of having another little one. I started to move the babies back to their own nest box, thinking Cheyenne had gotten confused and moved them there, when suddenly, Emily, although delivering a baby, ...leaps up and goes to the box and quickly ,moves the 2 I had moved to her nest box and and then sits down and delivers the next baby. So, I decided it was indeed Mother/Grandmother Emily who had made the decision that her daughers babies needed to be with her in her box with her and her new babies so I left them alone and that is exactly where they stayed, with Emily and Cheyene doing equal duty of nursing and tending to 8 babies. Emily had 4 little ones with Chey's 4. What a site. (I have pics but they're on the other comp that I can't start.!) Emily was dead set on those grandbaby's being with her and I guess she felt she needed to help out her daughter, what with her being a first time mom. lol. then when her other daughter had her babies, she didnt interfer and move the babies, but Sarah did have a big problem delivering the first baby and I was down helping her get the first one out and Emily was literally in my face, watching my every move and that was kind of scarey, because Emily was very alarmed that Sarah was having so much trouble, but it all ended up ok. Then there was Miss Beautiful, the last of a litter from the previous year of Emilys litter to have her's. She had one kitten, that we found, and that was by suprize. I found this tiny gold kitten in this wooden box on the front porch and then discovered Miss Beautiful with the baby. It was a little boy. Then in the days that followed, I discovered Tallie, a beautiful sand colored tom, carrying the baby around, protecting it and he would sit with it in a domed litter box I had outside so I quickly had to clean up that box and but a blanket in it for them and Tallie would tend to his little guy, except for when Mommy Miss Beautiful needed to feed him. I've never seen anything like that before or since. Tallie was so proud, gentle and loving with his little baby, who was a little darker in color then he, and he and Miss Beautiful, you could tell they ' cared' for each other. They were always together, always tending to each other and or the baby. Just like a couple. The oddest and most loving expressions of 'oneness' and love I have witnessed in the creatue being world.

have a great Sunday
Angel and the kitties

hey.. I have my own account now, so not posting under Marlins anymore...so thanks to Charlie and the moderators for allowing me INto this great group.

I went to have a icecream bar, but I got very little of it, after Stinker spied my treat she quickly came over and managed to eat all of the icecream but did leave me the outer chocolate coating..lol. Nothing like a cool treat on a hot day, or so miss Stinker thinks. Anytime is a good time for icecream with Stinker.

Angel and the kitties

I think this thread is a good idea. We apparently have a lot of cat owners here so...

I hope I never read anything here about a cat being declawed. To me that is the most ridiculous thing man has ever come up with. Anyone having expensive furniture or whatever just shouldn't own a cat. A vet told me once it is a very painful procedure and takes the cat a long time to get use to the change. If anyone reading this has a declawed cat and is offended by my opinion I don't really care. I guess if you were to cut their tails off you'd have less cat hair to sweep too. Shame on mankind for even allowing this to be.

I just acquired these guys to keep my "lone" cat (Graygirl) company. I've always felt animals need companionship so I have always had at least two of whatever. I had to put Graygirls brother down last October due to a failing liver and it was a blow to the both of us.

241542.jpg

They are both a mess and getting along fine. At this point Graygirl could care less and hisses at every pass. The orange one is Barney who has taken over my house slippers and the calico is Millie (short for Camille, the name of the girl that caught them both). They were born on my uncles construction site here in Carrboro and destined to be semi-feral. There have been cats there for forty years that I know of. The strangest thing is I've had labs (dogs) all of my life but for some reason I switched over to cats. I think it's because they're practically maintenence free when full grown.

Oh, and for all of you that have multiplying cats they have procedures for that now as well (and it ain't the morning after pill either).

Wayne,

Yes, most of us have cats. Probably most are not by our choosing, but one can easily get attached to them!

Frank and Charlie,
Thanks for starting this new thread. I was thinking the same thing, but was procrastinating.

Marlin and Fancy,
Very impressed with the nursery story. Good idea on the greenery. I have some cat oats and will plant some today. Just hadn't thought of it.
Do you have any info/pics of the hammocks? That sounds like a good idea.
All three of the boys are fixed. We didn't want any possible neighbors having any extra cats on our part.
I wish people would take responsibility and fix their pets instead of letting them have babies and then dumping them. If someone wants to have more pets, at least be responsible enough to take care of them like Marlin and Fancy does.
The female we had went with our daughter when she got married. "Tiger" was her baby, so we had to let her go. Lester and Louie are hers' too, but after investing a little over 300 bucks and a week of labor on the "beach house", they will be staying here for now. "Sparky" (the wild one) has rule of the house now. found a pic of Lester and Louie when they were "roamers."

241545.jpg

BIRTH ANNOUNCMENT: Mama Target left 4 kittens in the shed yesterday. My son and a friend were here a while ago and found them. Dont know if the woman has super hearing, but they headed directly to the shed and found them in a box that was a winter sleeping area. Gotta get animal rescue here to help, there are 3 of her kids running around from late April, and all 3 are females. Helpppp

Hammocks for kitties. There is a seller on eBay that makes them. They run $8 if you buy it now Here WAS the link
poof.gif

241577.gif
Angel, Marlin and the kitties

Hi Wayne. Barney and Millie are precious and little furkids running around, keep one entertained with their play and chasing and exploring. Annie still acts like a kitten, and this morning was hunting brown recluse spiders. Geez, we had two in the kitchen. She seemed to be alerting us, which is good since daddy Marlin has been bit 5 times in the past 7 years.
eek.gif
. Since Graygirl is the matriarch, she will maintain that place, and should. She will be cranky for awhile, but I do have feeling she will warm up to them in time. Her losing her brother was such a huge loss, and it does take them some time. Everytime we introducted a new kitty into our pride here, there would be the ' viewing' from higher places and growling and hissing going on for awhile, but that passes and she isn't beating
241581.gif
them up, so that is a good sign.

Declawing? I agree with ya Wayne. It is inhumane. If anyone feels a cats paw, you can feel how far up into their paws the nail growth goes and all of it, up into the bone is taken out. Painful, terribly and it leaves emotional scars as well. I was watching " My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet the other night and Jackson Glaxay was explaining to a couple that cats don't 'revenge' pee outside their litter boxes, but there are specific reasons why they don't use their litter boxes, and in the case with this paticular cat, Jackson knew it was because the cat had been declawed and the litter actually was painful for the cat. So the owners got litter that Jackson directed them to get, and surprise, the kitty started using the litter pan. Amazing, huh? LOL on if you have cats, you shouldnt have nice furniture. They do have hard plastic guards you can by and screw into the corners to detour the kittys from using furniture as scratching posts and I know there are also sprays out there, but we haven't used either one. We have posts, but ummm, they dont use them. Bad kitties.!!!

GREENS for kitties. Pet shops have kits you can buy. IT usually is oats to get started. Of course, you can start some catnip from seed ( I wouldnt start from what is outside..incase it has been sprayed by other cats) and also they like Parsley, and its all very healthy for them. I thought Martys kitties might like that when they are outside in their beach house,kept safe,but I'm sure their missing that green stuff.

Mommys have new litters. One might ask the local shelters if they know of a vet that offers discounted prices if you have more then one cat spayed. There are organizations that offer cheap spay and neutar clinics, so I would ask your local shelters. We found a vet who did just that when we were rescuing all those homeless ones. She gave us a ' breeder' discount, which was huge for us, and when we had a sick kitten we would take them to her and the cost was minimal.

Allen, are you going to take the new kittens to a shelter? or raise them up and adopt them out? I'm sure there are adopters out there. If you do, don't offer them from free. Why? people who have snakes who feed them small prey, will run around and pick up small kitties to feed their snakes.!!

take care

241582.gif
Angel(Marlins other half) and the kitties

Cats are great! I presently have two. Selah a male and Tateleh a female.

Here's Selah lounging on our open riser steps.

241584.jpg

Here's Tateleh aka Tots, showing off her whiskers.

241585.jpg

Back