• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 12, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Lonny,
If you lookin for bolt on tall rear wheels, look for the old Case GT's.
29167.jpg

29168.jpg

Friday I am picking up my new project.
I am going to make a cub cadet that runs about 20 mph and has a dump box on the back. I was going to do it 6x4, but I decided to just stick with 4 wheels. I decided that because I hate my boss' Gator. It turns very hard in anything but wet grass. I am still going to follow my blueprints as close as possible. Hopefully, it will turn out ok. Does anyone know of any around? Thanks Tyler
29172.jpg

Richard and Jim,

Thank you both for the feedback on the carb pic I posted on 7/10. I <font color="ff6000">should</font> be able to adjust the kinks out of this one yet. From what I'm recalling, my dad put a new engine and carb in it with the help of a friend (yeah, the one no longer accessible) not more than 5 years ago.

I know that when I go to shut it down, I can alleviate the backfire sound by letting it idle a little before I shut it down. But I also remember growing up with it and knowing I never had to do that originally. Here's to hoping. And on top of that, hoping I can maintain the machine to last so my son or daughter can have it when they get a house. We're talking no less than another 15+ years away.

782 Question..
Got an opportunity to look closely at the 782 I purchased 4 months back. I read about series 1 and series 2 engines.

Mine has an engine that has "18 Magnum Kohler" on the flywheel shroud and on the air cleaner. There is another small sticker that has KT17S on it. Also this engine has a remote filter. My question is, exactly what engine is this, 17HP or 18HP, series 1 or 2?

Is it possible that the sheetmetal is combined? The remote filter looks factory. The filter lines look factory and have insulating grommets where the two lines exit the shrouding.

I have read archived posts, but still am a little confused. Did Kohler put KT17S and Magnum 18 on the same engine? Is the Magnum 18 actually a KT17S with the modifications such as ignition, filter and sheetmetal, etc?

Thanks

(Message edited by fmorski on July 12, 2005)

Tyler,
You could still make it a 6x4, just put a trailing axle behind the drive axle, so you can have some extra capacity (not like it would actually gain any though) but it sure would look cool.

BTW, nice cinder blocks. I wish I knew how to draw cinder blocks that good.
biggrin.gif

Lonny -

Ya didn't find it in the FAQ because it's NOT a Frequently Asked Question
wink.gif

And hey, it's not my job to play Where's Waldo with all our members. If I could keep track of where they all were at any given time, Homeland Security would be hiring me...
lol.gif

TYLER - Someone made an articulated CC Dump truck a couple years ago and if I remember right just sold it a few months ago off E-BAY. I'm sure Kraig or Charlie will be posting some pictures. I think it was a 4X4. Reminded Me of these large off-road dumptrucks CAT and Volvo make for construction projects

Tyler, I'll be posting some photos of custom utility type Cubs throughout the day today. The one that Dennis is referring to was made by Randy Macku and it was not a 4x4 only the front wheels were driven. Here are some pics of Randy's custom.

29176.jpg

29177.jpg

29178.jpg

29179.jpg

29180.jpg

29181.jpg

29182.jpg

I'm looking for a sleeve hitch for either my 782 (s/n 665206) or 1711 (s/n 747800 - aluminum rearend). My Cub Cadet attachment guide indicates that I need Model #190-382 for my 782. It does not list what fits the 1711. It seems that the 782 uses a different hitch than the other 82-series tractors. Why is that?

What other tractors use these model hitches so I don't buy the wrong one?

Thanks for the help!

Tyler T., I've been thinking of making a utility Cub for several years now and have been accumulating various parts and "parts Cubs" including a power steering set up from a CC super GT, a ported hydro, and hydraulic cylinders. I have some concept drawings for several different designs. I've also been saving photos of other peoples custom Cubs. Here's one that was at Red Power Roundup 2003. Doog Martin took the photo.

29184.jpg

29185.jpg

Frank,

If it has a filter it's at very least a KT-17II. The big difference between the 17 and Mag 18 is the ignition. If you have a coil, it's a KT17-II, if you have a Magneto it's a Mag 18.

BxS are same-same. None of the KT-17-I engines had the filter base, so it's safe to say that you have the "good" engine.

Tyler T., here's one that Mike Schultz was working on. I sure would like to see more of this but Mike quit posting years ago and I've not been able to get ahold of him. If anyone out there has more info on this please let me know. TIA

29190.jpg

29191.jpg

29192.jpg

29193.jpg

Mike also made this 70 4x4.

29194.jpg

29195.jpg

29196.jpg

Steve:
Thanks for the info. This engine has the two plug wires entering the fan shroud and no adjustments on the carb. I assume that means it is an 18 Magnum. I bought the 782 at a consignment auction early this year. The owner had little to say about the tractor. He appeared to not know much about it, especially in the engine area. I got the feeling he was not satisfied with it. His loss and my gain. It runs very well. Cleaned it up and changed oil, oil and air filters. Seems to be my strongest to date.

Would like to know a WIX filter Number for a replacement filter if possible.

Also, do you happen to know a Frank Dry?

Lonny-

<font size="-2">Don't tell Charlie, but he is wrong about the bolt center.</font>
I just checked the bolt center on one of my cubs with one of those plastic bolt center-measuring thingys. (real technical name, huh?
happy.gif
) If someone is confused or doesn't believe me I'll post a picture of this. Anyway, the bolt circle is 4 1/2". Sorry Charlie.
clappy.gif

Frank,

I also have a 782 with Magnum 18 engine. From what I've read the KT17 Series I was a time bomb, and the Series II with partial oil pressurization wasn't a whole lot better. I also heard that KT17 Series I lawsuits and warranty repairs nearly bankrupted Kohler. Supposedly the Magnum has full oil pressurization. Mine also has the factory oil lines with grommets and the filter mounted on the right side, but I've seen others mounted on top of the engine.

I think the earliest 782's had an iron differential and axle housing, the later IHCC production with an aluminum axle housing and iron differential (as mine), and CCC production with all aluminum. The CCC production supposedly had a trans fluid dipstick and hood latches that locked the hood in the upright position.

Oddly my midframe graphic depicting how to raise/lower the mower deck is the same as on my 149, but the 782 raise/lower lever is mounted on the dash.

Kraig:

Question is will the 19X-382 sleeve hitch fit on the 1711 also (s/n is above 719,000 though)? or are the sleeve hitches different for aluminum rear ends? I guess that question would be best posted in the IHREGISTRY CCC forum.......

What's the difference between other wide-frame sleeve hitches and the 19X-382 sleeve hitch for a 782?

Thanks Kraig.

Frank and Roy:

I just bought an early-production 782 that has the Series II engine (owner told me it was the original motor), but it does not have the oil filter. Did the Series II ever have an oil filter?

Matt G. -

Does that measurement correlate with the website I posted last night? Judging from the website, the only plastic measuring thingy one needs is a 25 cent drugstore ruler...

Bryan C. -

Why would it need to be posted there? We have our very own MTD/CCC topic on this site.

Bryan,

I've seen Series II with oil filters, but I think they came as an extra-cost option. I'm sure one of site sponsors, or guys in the classifieds, can supply you with what you need to retrofit.

Back