• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 10, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
Hey guys, RE: Michael C with his s/g spinning. Wasnt this seen a couple times in past years and ended up being welded points in the regulator...???

Allen - I used to have it happen once in a while.... I'd lift the seat and whack the VR.... and before somebody yells about "VR abuse", the 129 is still on it'd original VR (tires too)..
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 133
Gerry - "I'd lift the seat and whack the VR" and then somebody yells "VR abuse". You gotta be more specific.

Most on here have the VR under the hood and they wouldn't know what you mean by lifting the seat and whack the VR. They don't know the 129 has the VR under the seat where the battery is also located. Now, since the battery is next to the VR and it's also a pretty delicate item, I'm pretty certain you only kinda tapped hard on the VR.

"Whack" would normally imply to me you used some type of tool and "gave it a whack". Did you possibly mean you may have held a screw driver by the blade and tapped (lightly whacked) the VR "cover" with the handle?

I know the original VR's weren't made by Timex (takes a lickin and keeps on tickin). Most all were A/C Delco and were pretty darn tough.

It might help if you posted a pic of your VR so we could determine if there are any signs (dents) of abuse.
worthless.gif

Attachments

• worthless.gif
    worthless.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 145
It took me a few days to check, but the photo of the Original with Danco loader and Side Shift that I thought was in one of Ken Updike's books is not in the books. So, I'm still not sure where I've seen it or a similar photo before.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 136
Harry, if they can't even find their voltage regulator, I certainly am not going risk a lawsuit by defining the newton-meter amount of force that I used with whatever was available at hand to stop the SG from cranking with the key shut off. I <u>will</u> admit that it was always with a progressively more amount of force until the friggin' thing stopped...

Kraig,

You're not nuts....I've seen that chicken house cleaning photo before too.....

Harry, I see the difference and I understand the offset. It needs to be moved outward from the frame so the electric lift can be mounted and clear everything. At least that is what it seems. I'll take a look at what is on my tractor now and once I get to the point of mounting an electric lift I will figure it out. I've had to do MUCH more with MUCH less before. Thanks.

Charlie, I suppose that could be what I'm thinking of, but the photo in Ron's scans sure seems familiar.

Steve, thanks. I am however starting to think I might be.
dizzy.gif
a_blink2.gif

Attachments

• dizzy.gif
    dizzy.gif
    367 bytes · Views: 141
  • a_blink2.gif
    a_blink2.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 150
David S--great to see you at the Portage Show. We didn't get to talk for a real long time, my two little ones kept me on my toes, but it was great to see you again, meet your lovely wife, and see those fine tractors from your collection!

Garden Tractor Daze is a great GT show because it is dedicated to them. It isn't the typical tractor show with garden tractors piggybacked onto the schedule. There were nearly every brand and type of GT represented, many that I had never seen in person only in the GT books, and some I had never heard of. I sincerely think that this show could potentially grow into one of the largest all garden tractor shows in the Midwest within in a few years, might be close to that already. It was started by a Case guy and so it will continue to draw a lot of those. I was surprised that there was probably only about 50 Cubs there total. That is a shout out to anyone who is in the area that can make it for next year. It is well worth the trip! Great setting, nice drive, and lots to see!

I agree, Joshua!!
Lets all get together next year and show 'em all some CUBS!!!

I could possibly squeeze 6 of 'em in my trailer!

The fellow that started this 6 years ago also has a WWII Museum downtown Portage that should be on your bucket list if you are a history buff. He gives guided tours through it evenings of the show for those that wish to take a looksee.

Kraig,

The one Charlie posted (in all black and white) is what I remembered. Until I saw the post the other day I had never heard of an offset bucket for a Danco loader......talk about specialty, the loader was enough of an odd ball on a Cub, let alone an offsetting bucket!

Harry,

I have two rockshaft brackets for the hydraulic lift.

One is welded on, and the other is bolted.
The bolted one came off of a 122.
The welded one came off of a 124.

Both have the "narrow" offset. Total width of offset and bracket is about 2".

It's been a while since I've spent much time with my Cub Cadets but have been tinkering with them the past few days. Got them cleaned up, serviced, and running good again. I've used the 125 some but the Original has been sitting for years.
316036.jpg

316037.jpg

The Original needed new front wheel bushings so I put in an order to Charlie.
316038.jpg

Attachments

• 316038.jpg
    316038.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 316037.jpg
    316037.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 316036.jpg
    316036.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 316038.jpg
    316038.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 316037.jpg
    316037.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 316036.jpg
    316036.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 163
I bet there aren't many of the loaders that were used in chicken operations left around. I looked at a few of them back in the day and they were all eaten up and rusted solid. The chicken manure is really corrosive! I remember an Original with Danco trip bucket loader that had holes eaten in the frame! Almost looked like a car that had been driven on salty roads and never washed.

I've been very disappointed with the 48 inch mowing deck on my 125. It runs too slow to cut good. Yesterday the middle pulley that drives the other two blades split apart. Rather than repairing it I took the deck off of my "parts" 125 which is a 42 incher. WOW what a wonderful difference. It has one long blade and two shorter ones. More than satisfied! Now if I can only get it to start easier.

Nick Q. Great to see you posting again!
316041.gif

Charlie P. If only the weather people could split our hot and dry weather with your cooler weather it would be a lot nicer to work on and use the Cub Cadets down here.

Yesterday a coworker told me that he finally got to see an uncle's newly purchased Cub Cadet and accessories. Previously he said that his uncle is having difficulties with the tractor jerking violently either way. Dealerships told him it was a linkage problem. From what Glenn told me the dealerships are correct. The previous owner cut a hole in the fender and welded a rod directly to the swashplate arm. On the good side though. The uncle got a snow thrower, front blade, deck, rear blade, Brinly hitch with the deal.

Attachments

• 316041.gif
    316041.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 316041.gif
    316041.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 130
Well, I finished up the 128 yesterday. It fired right up and ran just fine. It didn't even need much carb adjustment after warming up plus it had a "new" smell to it for some reason...paint, I imagine. I then got to reassembling the 44a deck. I installed a new idler arm bracket which Charlie sells in a kit and works well. So far, so good but today will tell. I have another fine Carolina day in the mid 90s with 120% humidity in which to finalize things. The engine is so much closer to being right now. Everything was "out" as far as adjustments go. One example would be the pivot bolt for the throttle lever under the carb. It was only about an inch long and wouldn't allow the lever to travel properly. The governor spring was mounted completely wrong as well. I'm surprised it started at all at his house when we were loading it.

Someday I may just list everything I did to this poor 128. The PO had to be on drugs. Had the "vintage" deck he tried to install worked it wouldn't have worked for long...no way. It will have the proper undercarriage and a nice 44a deck from now on.

Now comes the fun part trying to write up a bill.

Nick Q., good to see you post!
wave.gif
Also good to see your Original AND your beautiful 125 again!
drool.gif

Tom F., a 42" deck can do a great job of cutting. As to the starting issue, have you checked the timing to be sure it's correct? Or at least checked the points gap?

Wayne, good to hear you've finished up that 128. Must feel good to have it done.
greenthumb.gif

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 141
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 137
  • drool.gif
    drool.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 138
  • greenthumb.gif