• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 02, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
288032.jpg

Yeah, I shouldn't have sold the 1st one...red one had 19T second in CI rear and rebuilt motor.....oh well..... BTW, that was the Travis "snowman" plow day and the brave little 582 headed out in the snow covered field to open up the first land......

New one needs a few things, but nice little machine!

288033.jpg

gerry and rodney, here's the drill after i got done, letter "X" and i went about 9/16 deep as the keenserts i used are 1/2 inch long

288037.jpg

I plowed with that first 582 Steve had. Great tractor, put it in second gear high creeper and let it go. Never stumbled, choked, or bogged down. I was impressed.

I got my 1000 shipped out to me after 10 years with my dad. He gave it to my youngest brother who is a threat to everything that burns petroleum products. The tractor wasn't running when I got it. I pulled the engine to fix some things. That's when I saw the clutch.

To say that the clutch disc holes were ovaled is an understatement. It was trashed. The throwout bearing was completely locked up. Why stop using the tractor if the throwout bearing is locked up? Heck, maybe that horrible noise will go away by itself. I'm not bitter....

The lever was pretty trashed and I tried to clean it up but I think I need a new one. I got the disc and bearing already.

Does anyone know what color the original 1000 clutch spring was from the factory? Mine is red. I don't think it was ever replaced.

Bob

I called the owner tonight and made an offer, he said he was sticking to his price and he thanked me for taking the time to look at it. I told him if he changes his mind he can give me a call and we'll make it happen.

Thanks to everyone that shared their knowledge about these tractors.

We'll see if I get a call back someday.

My bad. Jim, you haven't mentioned a $ figure that I've seen. I'm in the process of discussing a 1450 with a Danco loader for $1200. Should I buy it? Only if I think it's worth it to me (because I know that once they come in here it's hard to see them leave). If the price is too high for you to justify buying it, leave it alone. Otherwise ...
happy.gif

Mike, Thank you for the information, I do a lot of business with McM and probably will get some just in case - I like the way they look and think they would work well.

BOB E. - The color of the OEM clutch pressure springs was IH 483 Federal Yellow.

I've bought a couple OEM replacement springs, they were all bare steel.

I've read a couple different places what the OEM spring has for force, anywhere from 280 to 400 pounds of force depending on who you believe. I think a really well used spring would be down arounbd the 280-300 pound range, a new spring around 350-400. The after-market die springs are 800# for the red & 1120# for the yellow.

My brother just built a new puller using a clutch setup from a dead OEM IH 582. That spring was red. We thought it was an PO upgrade but it was so weak. Bought a real "red" spring and what a difference.

So I'm going to guess that those 582 springs were red from IH. There is not a yellow part on that tractor. Why would they paint the springs yellow... That makes no sense.

NIC - I was answering Bob E's question about his 1000 CC which WAS painted yellow.

I completely expect to see 582's painted red... which would include the clutch spring.

But as you said, your "red spring" was NOT "THE" red spring.

If the original clutch spring was yellow I have no idea when the spring n my 1000 was changed. A neighbor bought it new and I used it since it was about 5 years old. The spring was red as long as I can remember.

Tried ordering a Nelson muffler for my 147...same one that's made for MTD but at $55 instead of $80....on back order from Nelson until mid August.
animatedihbear.gif

BOB E. - I wish Kraig was around this weekend to post the pic's of CC's being painted on the assembly line down in the plant in Louisville. The cluch pressure springs were not masked, they were painted with every other surface of the tractor, so the "original" spring was yellow on a 1000 that was painted yellow. There is a red stamping die spring with 800 pounds of force, twice what the OEM spring had, that can be used in the clutches of CC's, but if that spring is used, you'd need both feet to depress the clutch pedal. OR, in Nic's case, the clutch pressure spring was red on his RED 582.

There's a thousand possible reasons why a yellow tractor that's 35 to 40 yrs old has a red clutch spring in it now. And the fact that IH LVL put a red spring in the tractor when it was built is the least plausible of them all.

Dennis,

I am surprised because I used this tractor since it was almost new. A neighbor I grew up near bought it and they hired me to keep their place up. They were perfectionists and had no children so they depended on neighborhood kids they hired. Many years later they gave me the tractor. I don't know when it would have been changed.

Now I want to put it back to factory stock. Anyone have a line on an original spring?

Bob, Dennis - say I think you guys need to hold your horses. The Model 1000 is from the Quiet Line series and I'm pretty certain IH changed their assembly line process when they started production of that series. This was of course the first tractor series to have the engine side covers. The engines themselves are black, as is the fireway, gas tank, and many of the other parts covered by the side panels. I really think the painting was done before assembly of several major components and it wouldn't surprise me if the clutch spring was originally painted red.

I wonder if Paul Bell has any knowledge or details on this. If you recall there were stories about the production line of the 1x8/9 series being nearly shut down for the last several months of production (mid to late 1974). Some stories that the 169 was the only unit produced in the last 3 months of 1x8/9 production (Aug/Sep/Oct). The introduction of the Quiet Line series was a BIG deal, and I feel certain the assembly process was substantially changed.

BOB - A gear drive clutch pressure spring is a gear drive clutch pressure spring, same spring in a 70/100 as a 1000, and everything in between. Your local CC dealer or any of the parts suppliers above can fix you right up with the correct OEM spring, which appears to be 732-3016, but the price page on the parts look-up above showed 932-3016.

CHARLIE - Yes, those were the pic's I was thinking of. The water fall spray booths were actually a lot more "user friendly" than a person would think. For the first 3-4 months I worked at FARMALL, I worked right on the other side from the main chassis spray painting booth on the Start assembly line, a spray booth just like the pic's Charlie posted. I NEVER got even the slightest hint of a paint fume smell in all that time.

HARRY - The only change to the pic's of the '61/'63 CC's hanging from a hook by their nose would be the fact the Q/L tractors were hanging by a hook by their nose. Note in the last pic Charlie posted, the complete drive train frame, AND CLUTCH was assembled and painted ready for ALL the Other colors of painted and unpainted parts to be put on the YELLOW chassis.

The white parts like the hood & side panels went down a different paint line if LVL was set up anything at all like FARMALL. Wheels were painted at the supplier, typically Electric Wheel Co, Div of Firestone in Quincy, IL. Engines were painted at Kohler in Kohler, WI.

Paint lines were segragated by COLOR.

Latest posts

Back