• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Fellas,
help.gif
Two Questions:

1) I've got a Model 86 (narrow frame) Cub and I'm wondering if I can replace the rear end assembly with an assembly out of a 126 (wide frame) Cub without too much hassle?

2) Other than it'll need a shorter driveshaft, could I also bolt in a "High/Low" gear box when/if I can switch out the rear ends?

Thanks in Advance, Guys!
thumbsup.gif

RWilke
bubbly.gif

Don't forget the 126 being a narrow frame.

I'll have whatever Ryan's having...

I'm in the final stages of completing the refurbishment of my 1980 IH 982. A question I have is what was the factory color of the screen that bolts to bottom of frame?
260177.jpg

Although mine is very rusty, I would guess that it was painted black - but maybe that wasn't the factory color? Did all '82 series have this screen?
Thanks,
Dennis.

Wondering how well the 73 I'm restoring will pull my 10 inch Brinly plow with its 7 hp K161. Too much plow and too little power?

Dennis Day,

The lower screens on 82 series were black and yes all 82 series had the screen to keep grass and debris from getting sucked in by the flywheel cooling fan. The 82 series was the only IH CC series to use a lower screen on the bottom of the frame.

Steve S., I've plowed with an original and that same plow. My problem was usually traction so I added weights and chains to the turf tires. Did ok after that.

Kraig/Wayne,
Ok, I got it backwards in my message...
bash.gif
bottom.gif
dizzy.gif
shame.gif
wedgie.gif
fan.gif
...my apologies to those of you I've offended.
blush.gif

So does anyone know if a rearend out of a 126 will bolt into an 86 without much fabin'?
angel.gif

Ryan W

Ryan

I could be way out to lunch ; But I think you will have to use the axle tubes and axles to what ever rear end you want to change to . I think the center part of the rear end is the same between wide frame and N frame. The off set thickness is different in the tube where the frame bolts . Out on a limb !
old.gif

Ron R. Schmitt

I think a 125 and a 147 I have here had a plate to cover off the frame bottom so that the air was not pulled from under the Cub. I do have a few of those plates here.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

(Ignore the red arrow in this second photo that was added for the person I originally posted it for...)

that would be ME lol. Thanks a bunch for sending me a complete set up for my 125. I think my summer will soon slow down. Dang I miss all my Cub buds ( Wayne ,Denny ,Art ,Kraig , And the grump still calls me lol. Charlie I hope to see that bear next spring .The thing I miss most is to help if you can. I don`t want anything more that a thanks. Gerry (you the MAN )
beerchug.gif

The rear end from a narrow frame will fit into a wide frame. I have done it with a hydro. Yes you'll have to use the correct length driveshaft. I put a cast iron rearend from a 127 into a ccc 1810 without really any hassle at all and it works good. I would think itd be the same with a gear drive.

Donald T.,
Thanks for your reply!
thumbsup.gif

What do you mean by, "The off set thickness is different in the tube where the frame bolts."?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Now maybe I'm suffering from more brain-farts, but from my (quick) review of the 'CC PARTS LOOKUP', the part #s are the same for the 86 and 126 axles (531180-R2) and RH & LH Carrier Assemblies (RH, 703-0906) and (LH, 397322-R11).....
uhoh.gif
Wouldn't that indicate they are the same parts?

Ryan W

Joseph S.,
Cool Beans!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the real-life reassurance!
worthy.gif

Ryan W
Shift.gif

Kraig - thanks again for the throttle info. Was trying to cob it together from extra stuff and about 5 minutes after finishing I found the whole setup! I had it all taped together and was sorting stuff and low and behold - there it was. Guess I have an extra now and learned a little bit along the way.

Ryan W - the 86 and 126 rearends will swap without any changes. Don T mentioned that he "might be out to lunch" - and well, I don't know what he was eating but something screwed him up.
The only issue you might have is with your brakes. The 86 will have external disc brakes. I don't recall if the 126 has external as well or if it uses an internal wet brake. If it has the external you have a direct bolt up swap. If it has the internal brake then you'll have some work to do but it can still be changed - and maybe that's what Don was really thinking of. As for adding a Creeper, you just need to shorten the drive shaft and it will have the factory score where to cut it.

I have a 582 Cub Cadet I bought in May of 1981. Still looks like new but beginning to have other issues with the tractor. I am finding in my research that there appears to be no good riding lawn mowers made anymore, from what I have read in reviews. Anyone have an answer on replacing a Cub with a good machine?}

Nick A.

Yes I do!!!!

Fix up your 582!

WTH is this crap!
Anyone have an answer on replacing a Cub with a good machine?
angry.gif

TO: Charlie "Digger"
I am working on it. $900 in the last couple of years. Converted to electronic ignition, new carb, new spindles and deck refurbished. Wish I knew someone who could totally restore the 582. This is an animal of a machine. I don't like anything I see today. Thanks Charlie

Back