• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 30, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Michael!
thumbsup.gif

O-K.... Let's start a poll on whether ART will have a flat tire on his 2072 next time he goes into his shop. My vote is YES!
fence.gif

KRAIG - About 18 yrs ago we had a real bad cold spell about this time a year, I've ALWAYS run "Winter-Fronts" on my pickups since the winter of 1980 when I had my '78 F150, had to make it myself, bought a "factory one" of my '87 F150, and had a new factory one waiting for my '96 when I got it home after waiting 13 weeks for the truck to be built & delivered. But one morning on the way into work, a co-worker saw me buttoning up my winter-front on my '87. Later that AM he asked my why I did that. I tried to explain to this "Non-Car Guy" why I wanted the engine protected as much as I could from a blast of 20-25 below zero wind at 65-70 MPH. His comment was, "Isn't the grill supposed to do that?" I shook my head and walked away. Two days later I over-heard him telling someone his Wife's Mini-van was about three-four quarts low on oil and the low oil PSI light went on. She drove it to the dealer and they added oil, checked the engine and found the PCV valve had frozen into a solid chunk of ice, pressurized the crankcase then blew the PCV valve OUT of the valve cover. I heard him say something about the blast of 20+ below zero winds from driving 65-70 MPH not being good for engines. WHO KNEW?!?!?!

Oh.. and you should NEVER add up all the reciepts.. on ANYTHING. Save them yes, total them up-NO!

ART - When we had "The Storm of the Century" three years ago, storm hit Friday nite, wind came up Saturday morning and blew it all around all day, so Sunday afternoon I go out in the shop to fire up #1 Snow Mover, walk in the side door of the shop and think, "Something doesn't look quite right... OH %$@$& the thing is listing to Starboard!" Right rear tire was flat, but there was supposed to be 50 gal of CaCl in the tire and there was maybe a tablespoon full of fluid on the shop floor. There was so much "gluck" in the water stem from 40+ yrs of fluid that it wouldn't even take any air at 125+ PSI, I had to remove the valve core and drill out the water stem, then replace the core, air the tire up, no hissing from it so I thought O-K, pushed snow for an hour & a half, tire still not low. Week late tire was still up, 2-3 days later tire was flat. Turned out a 50+ yr old patch on the inner tube had chaffed against the rim and worn thin and was leaking. That tractor got the rims removed, tires bumped off, rims sand blasted, primed & painted, tires and new inner tubes installed that summer.

Art, I must say that I really like your photo! Great composition and the lighting is perfect. Makes it look like that drift is the end of the world, or at least the edge of a cliff.
icon_eek.gif
Of course knowing the lay of your property describing that as the edge of a cliff is not too far off... I like the reflection of your shop in the rear window as well. Nicely done.
thumbsup.gif

Denny, I vote it'll be flat.

Hi Kraig,

Just doing some catch-up on the forum and read of your plight with the launching dip stick. The breather hose iced up on the Billet Breather Cover causing crankcase pressure to build and blowing out the safety valve...which in this case is the dip stick. I don't think you caused any engine damage as you still had 2 pints in the crankcase. As a disclaimer, I do have this noted in the breather cover instructions;

"NOTE When operating engine in below freezing conditions, it is suggested that breather hose be disconnected from brass elbow. Testing has shown that ice can form in hose blocking breather function completely. This can result in high crankcase pressures with the possibility of dip stick or oil seals being blown out."

I learned this when testing the prototype cover on my 1250. Fortunately, my engine was idling when the dipstick blew out and banged against the underside of the hood, followed by some huffing and chuffing sounds.

Your engine will be fine...not to worry.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the input. I will remove the hose this evening and leave it off until warmer weather arrives. Most likely I read that disclaimer but promptly forgot about it...
old.gif
Come spring I will also be going on an all out search to hopefully find the remains of the dipstick. I really want to know how long it may have been running with the reduced oil. Killer is also going to need a bath come spring, it's an oily mess.
eww.gif
facepalm.gif

Hydro Harry the dipstick on the 14 in my 147 doesn't screw in. Just friction fit on an O ring.
The same 147 that you helped me figure out the regulator and charging trouble way back in 1998.

Thanks for the advice Charlie, the key way is 3/16 though. Not sure if that means the gear box is from some thing else like a tiller or what but I was kind of surprised it was that small.

Noticed another issue to take care of in that process. The gear box needs to moved ahead, closer to the thrower. The belt is at an angle once I got to looking at it closer. That's got to get lined up better before I can try to use it again. Belt isn't going to last very long like that.
crazy.gif

No problem Charlie. I've got to figure out my alignment problem before it can go too much further any how. Looks like the gear box can be unbolted and shimmed forward with some longer carriage bolts and some washers.

Latest posts

Back