• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 30, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
New roller chain did the trick and got the snow thrower going again. Also got the new set of two link chains and my horrible plastic 75lb wheel weights mounted.
1AA_dance2.gif

Ran it about 10 minutes and the coupling worked loose and threw the key out.....Dang the bad luck. Better look up that key size while i'm thinking of it. Looks like another trip to the hardware store tomorrow. On the plus side though, I can pull that shaft out and get that fitting replaced and joints phased. Got to say that the ole' thrower really made short work of that packed down powder.

it will take some time but Led`s will be aviable for more applications . looking for a few voltage reg over here. any one got a number I can use ?

Well just in from 2 hours of snow removal at my place. I had stopped at the farm and spent about 2 hours removing snow there as well. 4 hours total of snow removal and I'm beat! I'm worried that my Killer Kohler may have shortened it's life. After I had the 125 parked back into the tarp shed I was topping off the gas tank and I noticed the dip stick was missing and the left side of the engine and frame was all oily!
icon_eek.gif
I'll have to move it to the garage this weekend and drain the oil out and replace it but for curiosity's sake I had to find out how much was missing. It appears that it was down about 5 pints which is NOT good for an engine that only holds 7 pints! I sure hope my engine is not damaged.
a_weep.gif
I ran it perhaps a total of an hour and a half and have no idea how much of that time was without the dipstick and oil... I searched the yard and driveway for the dipstick but I'm certain that it went through the snowthrower, is mangled and way out in the yard buried under plenty of snow. It will be interesting this spring to see where it ended up and it's location will give me some indication of how long into the snow removal it ejected. I borrowed one from a spare engine and that is stashed in my shed and secured a plastic bag over it's oil fill opening so at least I have a proper dipstick in place on Killer. There was no indication that anything was wrong, the engine was running strong and sounded purrrrrfect when I backed it into the tarp shed and shut it off. Any recommendations on what weight synthetic oil to run in the winter? It had/has straight 30 weight in it now. Any idea what would cause the dip stick to eject itself? It had a rather snug fit.

Kraig

what might have made the dip stick leave was the cool off between the hard usages you gave it. I found at 76 deg I can run my 129 hard for about 1 hr before I can see that fog out the breather. and only with no wind can you see this happen. I bet your engine is fine and has years 0f life left. I bet It did build up some base pressure and did pop out the oil dip stick with some oil. But I bet everything was warm ( HOT ) and won`t be an issue to it`s life. btdt

GZ/Kraig,
What about using a set of seat springs from a 126 and up? They're pretty "short".

Gary Zimmers,
That pic you posted of the 72 puller with round fenders belongs to me. First pic I ever posted of it on here. Boy, did I ever catch hell about it! Something about it having training wheels and the tires rubbing the fenders <font size="-2">(which they never have)</font> There's just something cool about the look of round fendered tractors.

Kraig, Tom, Charlie, and Shultzie

Thanks for the thoughts on the 123 round fender project. I hope to get started soon on this project and will share pictures.

Kirk

I love that tractor! I'm with you on the round fenders. I have a set of small/mid-sized ag tires on rims from an old Wheel Horse that will look great with the round fender setup.

KRAIG - Sorry to hear about the issue with "KILLER". If you get a second post that pic of it before installation. I think you had the dipstick down in the cam gear cover correct? And one of Dave K's breather kits with the small vacuum/fuel line hose running blowby down below the engine.

My thinking is, if it was really cold when you ran Killer, the "blowby" has loads of water vapor in it, and the vapor probably froze up and blocked the end of the hose, pressurizing the crankcase and the weakest link broke, which was the dip stick coming out. So I suspect it happened fairly late in your 1-1/2 hr run. And the low placement of the dipstick let the oil fly out.

If Killer was running O-K, not making bad noises it should be O-K.

I've never really liked the cam gear cover dipstick location, without a hose on the OEM breather the side of the engine gets really oily and dirty, NOT what you want around your dip stick. The early K241 I had in my 72 and now is in the 70 had the top block mounted dip stick location, impossible for the dip stick to come out with the hood closed and almost impossible for oil to be flung out. But the Grenade Gears live in that corner of the block so 12, 14, & 16 HP Kohlers have the cam gear cover location. The later engines with the wmall window in the lower right front corner of the block where the dip stick tube bolts on is a much better location. My K321 block has that home with a block-off plate, and the dip stick in the gear cover.

If I remember right, Dave says 10W-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic is good to run in his engines.

Can someone get me the dimensions of the straight bar on a three point for a 782? Fancy print would be nice.
err.gif

Thanks!
This one.
283215.jpg

Denny, last night while laying in bed trying to sleep and worrying about my baby, Killer, I was thinking freeze up in the breather hose causing pressure build up in the crankcase and *POP* goes the dipstick. Thanks for seconding my thoughts! Tonight I'm going to check it to see if there's any sign of freeze up in the breather hose. Here's what it looked like right after I got Killer installed in the 125. The breather hose is run down below the frame.

283217.jpg

Tom, re-read my post from 11:39 am yesterday. I mentioned using the shorter seat springs but I mentioned the 1x8/9 series. I always forget about the 1x6/7 series having them as well.
happy.gif

Kraig-
I'm sorry to hear that about your Kohler. I'd guess things are fine. (Drop me an email if you need a replacement 'stick', I may have one on the shelf)

That frozen-breather tube sounds like a plausable cause see as how cold it has been. Is it possible that the dipstick could have gotten hooked on something as you were driving by?

See, I know in yoru mind the 125s are "perfection" (your words), but if you were driving an 82-series we could rule out both a clogged breather tube AND a 'hooked' dipstick.

Just sayin'...
err.gif
(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
facepalm.gif

On a related note, I got home from work at 9pm last night and started moving snow with the 2072. On the third pass something just didn't seem 'right'. Got out and looked to see a COMPLETELY FLAT rear tire! Limped it up to the garage (without somehow breaking the bead) and got it refilled.

At this point I'm not sure if it just rolled the bead open (I run low inflation pressure) or picked up a nail or some other sharp object. It was late, I was cold and just wanted to finish up the job. Once I get a chance to step foot in the garage again we'll see if it held air or went flat again.

Art, yes please on the replacement dipstick.
happy.gif
happy.gif
Nothing that I can think of that it could have gotten hooked on. Most likely cause is the frozen breather causing pressure build up. I might add a tether of some sort to the dipstick just in case it ever ejects again it doesn't get lost. The 2072 was far more trouble prone than the 125. My dad was never happy with the 2072. I believe you got the folder of repair receipts with it. Have you ever added them up?

If you rolled the bead would it not have been broken when you limped it to your garage?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig
You must have been really tired after four hours of snow playing! Your oil capacities don't seem right?

Bill,
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Jerry,
blush.gif
yep! I meant to type that it was down a bit over 2 pints and only holds 3 pints. For some reason I was thinking 4 pints to a quart not 2 pints to a quart...
bash.gif
Thanks for the correction.
happy.gif

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - HEY!!! you could always switch over to the screw on style dipstick used on the 14hp in the 147.

Kraig-

"If you rolled the bead would it not have been broken when you limped it to your garage?"

Yes, I'm being optimistic that maybe it somehow just "burped" out the air and then rolled back on the bead. You're probably correct in your implication that it probably has some sort of a foriegn object or hole in it. I honestly don't know how long I was driving it like that. It wasn't flat when I started....

283225.jpg

<font size="-2">(Ducking for cover from Charlie after posting a CCC on the main board.) LOL</font>

Back