• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 30, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Ouch - hit my head: (gonna start wearing a hard hat when I post near archive time...) 175 psi tends to leak more that usual gas or water pressures.. As I said last week - I hate air leaks. (I hate teflon tape too - watchit, or you'll end up with ittle bitty pieces of it in the valve seat of your regulators..)

1.well i wanted to bid on 2 valves, but they are on a 129 and i have one valve leaking on my 149.
2.where do you get the Quick Attach spring clips i need 4 of those.
3. and what are you doing lurking over the river Charlie! lol
4 Ken i gues Charlie didn`t like me my 16 hp kol last night my post is gone?
coffee.gif

Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 03:40 pm:

I don't think Charlie just "poofs" -- he doesn't remind me of a "poof" kind of guy...- you'd know it if he "Schwarzenegger'd" your post..
animatedihbear.gif

Wow i stand corrected on the post. we did the valves and cleaned it and put in a new head gasket and carb kit with that washer on the shaft. it runs great,but we had a knock that we never had before same as the 149,so we used the Kol spec for the valve adjustment and the noise was better. I can`t understand what could cause that noise? help
dunno.gif
a 13 fin

hey guys thanks for all the steering wheel removal info you guys are a great help.

Will cleaning carbon on head make the 16hp knock at idle ? should the timing be checked ? I do thank you all for helping me keep all my tractors running great. thanks again .. DonT
coffee.gif

Don - All single cylinders knock as far as they sound to me ... especially if they are idled to low. Advanced timing can cause pre-ignition making it have a knock but no cleaning the carbon will not make it knock.

Don T.

16hp Kohlers are prone to cam slap when idled down. Since the cam is driven with a helical gear, sudden changes in crank rotation (like the lope in a 16hp at idle) can load and unload the cam gear (end to end) and make it slap the block at the end of the crank. This slap sounds just like a small knock.

The check is fairly easy, pull the cam cover and check end play with a dial indicator, if it's over the spec., Kohler makes .005" and .010" shims to bring it back (but you have to pull the cam to add them).

My 13 fin 16hp knocked like a SOB after a fresh rebuild...shop that assembled the shortblock after boring left out a shim.

Don T, my 12hp Kohler makes some noises at idle. Hopefully I found both, a lot of slop in the clutch disc pin driver holes and a loose starter pulley. Mine only made "noises" at idle, anything off idle sounded nice. Time will tell as it gets back together. The clutch noise would only apply to the geardrive cubs.

So who has an idle rpm setting spec(no load) for the diff Kohler's used in IH Cubs?

1000 rpm for K181, 241,301,321 & 341 my manual says.
rtfm2.gif
rtfm.gif
I'm not sure which emoticon is correct, maybe both????

My clutch rattled and chattered until I realized there was a broke teaser spring in the clutch. I replaced it and it is smooth as butter now.

I have an electronic TAC on mine, K181, I have it WOT (WIDE OPEN THROTTLE) @ 3600 and idle at 1150. Seems to be perfect for an idle @ 1150.

Manual also has high idle (no load) revs listed but I guessed you ment the low spec. Let's get those revs right boys...LOL

Back