• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 28, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsimon

displayname
Hugh Simon
Paul Bell and others that are wondering if they will allow us to drive our cub cadets at Red Power the answer is NO for getting around the grounds but they will allow them in the parade!! I don't agree with this but what can you do??? I would suggest contacting the event chairman Bruce Jensen and voicing your opinion to him, maybe if enough speak he will reconsider.

If you are talking about driving cubs around where people are strolling it sounds like an obvious liability. Even having a designated lane or adjacent area wouldn't work; what's going to stop a runaway? I can't see this ever being allowed if I'm understanding the question.

The RPRU's have golf cart rentals & bring your own with proof of insurance. Hundreds at the previous RPRU's, why not Cub Cadets especially when they have a 5 MPH speed limit ?...
Shift.gif

<font size="+2">NOISE

</font>
would be one reason
What model gasoline or diesel fule powered cub cadet runs as quiet as a battery powered golf cart?

Well good grief! I hope next year when RPRU is at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in DuQuion they will allow people to cruise around on their Cub Cadets, tractors, Scouts, or whatever. The fairgrounds there are huge and have large paved streets throughout the grounds. Back in the late 80's / early 90's, it was home of the Car Craft Street Machine Summer Nationals. Thousands of show cars on the grounds with cars cruising the streets of the fairgrounds all day long. People lined up on either side admiring the sights and sounds! Never heard of anyone getting run over.

Now at night on the city streets of DuQuoin, that was a different story. Things got wild to say the least.

If a 700hp street machine could cruise the fairgrounds, surely my 7hp model 70 Cub Cadet can too!!!

How about all those people in elctric wheel chairs and such?? I've been hit in the heels with those things more than one by some old fart. Hell, I'm not far from needing one myself..........I vote for the Cub Cadet "Hoveround".

Hugh
That is basically what the MN chapter 15 president/spokesman said at the membership meeting at RPRU last year. What can I do about it? I can stay home with my Cub Cadets, and I'm not going to be the only one from Kentucky that does so. I wish them luck getting the number of Cub Cadets they hope for. Opinions were voiced last year after the meeting.

I must have to say, I saw a lot of golf cart doing some stupid things in LaPorte last year. They shouldn't be pointing fingers at exhibitors, THAT'S what can make or break a show.

Lonny,
Noise is not the issue because most of most, if not all, of the golf carts are gas and not electric since there is really no(or limited) places to recharge the batteries.

Tom H.
That is what ticks me off about this deal. He started out by saying that something needs to be done about all the golf carts (I agree with that), but the chapter still wants to rent golf carts to people (a money maker for the chapter) many who have never driven a golf cart. I very seldom drive any of my CC's around at RPRU (or any show for that matter), other than to take them to have pictures taken for the show book if there is one, but when a show host tells me I can't drive my Cub Cadet around and still allows novices to rent and or drive around in a golf cart that runs 2-3 times faster than a CC, they don't need me or my tractors at their show.

My Dad was a double amputee who dies in 1980, so all this handicapped talk really doesn't set well with me. I see all these people who don't need a hanicappe plaque, plates and all this stuff really abusing their "handicapped" status. To some extent many people are just making a joke of a good thing. I'm to the point that walking around a site like RPRU is difficult. Last year I didn't make it to every part of the showground because my feet were killin' me, and beleive you me I wantta' see all that IH stuff.

The lawyers are going to win this battle too, at the expence of people who enjoy these shows.

Is the insurance or Chapter 15 telling you can't drive your Cubs at a show?

I was at that meeting where Bruce Jensen made those comments. The first thing that went through my mind was I hope this is a Chapter 15 thing and not the insurrance. Chapter 6 won the bid for Red Power Round Up 2013 and I need to check into this since I'm co-chairing that event in 2013. The national directors are having a meeting at the winter convention in March. I will be at that meeting.

During RPRU '09, the Chapter 4 supplier soldout on golf cart rentals. Planning for the show, Chapter members wanted to restrict off color (gator) vehicles but some owned off color,so all colors were permitted.If I remember correctly, the security detail even used Cub Cadets for their rounds... I wanted to bring my 882 & #4 trailer, but spent most time helping @ Chapter Table...
Shift.gif
With a couple thousand <font color="ff0000">RED Tractors</font> on the grounds, whats the problem with a hundred or so Cub Cadets ...?

My $0.02 worth is that while I agree that walking all over a show site the size RPRU needs is very hard on many older people's feet/legs (mine included), and golf carts are profitable for the hosting club, once the carts are away from the rental area it's almost impossible to police the way people use/abuse them. Opening up the use of 4-wheelers, CC's & trailers except for parade purposes really puts people walking in jeopardy. At RPRU in Madison, SON I took the '51 M, it had the shiniest paint. We parked in the display field, but took the M into the show grounds to see some sites and be seen, and save a LOT of walking. But running a full size tractor around ended up being actually slower than walking because of all the golf carts running ALL over. We parked the tractor after 30-40 minutes.

Like Tom says, nothing like people NOT watching where they're going to cause problems. I remember visiting Brookfield Zoo in Chicago when I was about 12-14 yrs old and having a dozen unattentive parents run me over with BABY strollers. Same thing at amusement parks & tractor shows. If the kid can't walk and hold on to Mom or Dad's hand, let the kid stay with Grandma, She'd LOVE to spoil the kid for the day!

And mis-use of vehicles like golf carts, etc at shows is common. Buddy & I went to the second "Half Century of Progress" in '05. Several tractors left the show grounds headed for the plowing demonstration field. The mass of golf carts took off, My Buddy & I walked. When we got there several tractors had already set off across the field. A CASE # 1030 tractor with M&W turbo pulled up to sink his semi-mounted 5-16" plow in and show off. As soon as the first 2-3 bottoms got in the ground, which was about as hard as concrete, he spun-out, hit the 3-point lever to shallow the plow up which caused the frt end of the tractor to come up about FOUR-FIVE feet. There were golf carts & 4-wheelers sitting within 8-10 feet of this tractor. I grabbed my Buddy and said, "Lets get out of here before someone gets KILLED!".

I guess the problem with RPRU's is it's suffering from their SUCCESS. They're SO big anymore it takes miles of walking over two-three days to see everything. This problem of pedestrians vs golf carts, 4-wheelers, CC & trailers is a tough one. Too bad the insurance companies will probably decide the situation for us all.

The last RPRU that I was at was in Mansfield OH a few years back. Myself, my father and brother all commented after the show that it should have been called the GCRU (golf cart round up).

They were all over the place going all directions. If a pedestrian didnt have his head on a swivel he was going to get pegged.

I also saw ALOT of people on golf carts that were young and perfectly able bodied. The congestion would be relieved greatly if the golf carts were limited to those that need them. Like the elderly and those with medical conditions.

As far as Cub Cadets driving around, why not? It is a tractor show. You will hear a tractor coming up behind you long before a golf cart.

I think anything being driven at a show in close contact with pedestrians should go no faster than a walking pace. That should be common sense.

Unfortunately, when a lack of common sense exits it gives opportunity for lawyers to step in.

I personally don't want to go where there are golf carts or small vehicles of any sort mixed among the pedestrians. Talk about an accident waiting to happen... In this day and time with liability suits happening left and right I just don't understand why any vehicle, other than assist vehicles for the handicapped and elderly are allowed period. If these places are so large there ought to be little trolley type vehicles like they have in airports and Disneyland. I'm sure this has already been implemented in some areas. I haven't had the oppotunity to attend a round-up yet living so far in the south so I'm speaking in general about common sense.

Crowds + golf carts,tractors + immature operators + youngsters running around = fun day?

The last time I heard walking was good for you and makes you sleep like a baby when the day is done.

When we went to RPRU in Madison in 2009, Kraig thought it would be smarter to steal one of my tractors and drive it around...

220459.jpg

Guess he figured he'd just show the officer the info sheet on the tractor's grill say his name was "Art" if he got in trouble.
cwm.gif

Back