• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What better to do on a day when it doesn't get above zero degrees! Go spearing after work!!!
324481.jpg

I think the bushings in this axle channel are worn just a tiny bit...

324483.jpg

I ground them off and will be welding on a couple of shaft collars in their place. I also went a bit overboard with the pivot pin; it is a piece of 3/4 cold-rolled steel rod with a nut welded to one end for a head and drilled to be greased from the head instead of that impossible-to-reach fitting in the axle. Bolts are slightly tapered and still would have been sloppy in the new bushing on the end closest to the threads. I want this axle to be better than new, and now I think it will be.

324484.jpg

324485.jpg

Matt,

Watch so that zerk doesn't get in the way of any of the mower subframe parts that may span directly across both front QA hooks.

NIce work on the grease fitting. My 982 has a broken fitting that will require attention some day. Will try to drill a bolt like you have for easier access!

Steve-

Good point. I better stick a mule drive on there and make sure it doesn't interfere. I didn't think it would on an 82 series, but now I am not so sure.

Doug, I believe that Simplicity made those for Wards, though I could be wrong.
dunno.gif

Doug, after a little research I believe that Gilson made that vintage Montgomery Ward tractor. Simplicity made their earlier tractors.

I had a Gilson S10 with a 3 blade rear discharge mower deck and single stage thrower. 10hp cast iron briggs and stration with starter/generator before i bought my first cub cadet. I traded everything to a Gilson guy for some cub parts that he had along with a, 44A deck and QA42A blower and a complete wide frame rear lift. It was a nice beefy tractor like our cub cadets. Some days I wish I still had that machine. It was a very nice tractor. I loved the variable speed for snow throwing. I used that as a T/A for years.
err.gif
My main reason for letting it go because there does not seem to be any new replacement parts out there and you needed to find a used tractor. In my area they were hard to find.

Matt, Nice idea.

Since it's off topic Friday, and I have a chance to post. If anyone was following my 982 restore/refurbish thread; this is one of the reasons it took so long to put it back together.
happy.gif

This is the loader bucket I designed for it. I had both projects going at once. Finished it in fall of 2017. Works really good. Filled in the hole from our 24 ft above ground pool with 15 yards of dirt. One neighbor was a little in ah, as the large pile in my driveway disappeared in a matter of a few hours.

324492.jpg

324493.jpg

I have some tweaking to do with it this year. Need to make a plate to put in front of the filter for protection and need to change the plumbing on the suction line and need to drain the oil, change the filter and use a lighter grade of oil.

Back