• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
My 'Killing Cub Time' nightmare may soon be over!!
1AA_dance2.gif
After 3 years of moving all over Gods creation and bouncing from one dead end job lead to another, I finally found another 'robot welding' job a few miles from my sleepy adopted home town of Augusta.

I've actually 'thought' about some of my long term cub plans again. It sure is nice to look at things again, like it's 'going to get better'. It's been tough to even look at the cub and know that I couldn't do any thing with it. Hopefully it's all over with now.

Can't wait to put my first parts order in with our sponsors! Last few weeks have even looked promising enough to 'dream' bout looking at some
new equipment to free up major tear down time on the cub. What a concept!
clappy.gif

Brian, thanks for the nice comments on my kitchen. It's almost done, just a little more trim work. I'll have to post some update photos soon. Good to hear that your job situation has improved.
thumbsup.gif

My nephew in Boone Iowa wanted me to help him find a truck and get it to Iowa. So there went 2 days of working on cubs. Found a nice restored 79 Chevy.
235226.jpg

Should be in Iowa today.

Art: My grand-daughter and I really enjoyed the toy-truck videos of the Canadian clearing his basement. All-in-all it doesn't seem like an entire waste of time --beats watching television these days!
smile.gif

Art
That was great,to watch and enjoy. I think I could do a lot with a Cub. I need to build a back hoe . wow what fun !
1a_scratchhead.gif

Art,
I think I found my "New Calling". Move over Hoffman crew, I'm minin' in my basement for gold!

this should kill some cub time
Rhode island reds, dominiques, ameracanas, black ostralorps, golden lace polish

235527.jpg

235528.jpg

Jeff, looks like fun!
happy.gif
Where do you get your chicks from. Yesterday my wife said to me "We should get some chickens." I may have to get some. Not sure if I'll get them as chicks or eggs. I have several incubators and brooders available to me. My father used to raise all sorts of birds on the farm, mainly pheasants, wild turkeys and quail. But over the years we also raised ducks, geese and chickens. He had a game farm license so he could raise wild game. I have a pen I built some years ago for when we raised some ducks. My daughter has been bugging me to get more ducks too, so I guess I better refurbish that pen and get some chicken and ducks this year... There goes the Cub Time.

While I'm posting, here's some update photos of my kitchen project. Other than a little caulking left to do at the bottom of the baseboard tile the kitchen is finished.
bannana_guitar.gif
Feels good to be done! Did I mention that I hate trim work.
construction.gif

235576.jpg

235577.jpg

235578.jpg

235579.jpg

235580.jpg

235581.jpg

The pantry is done as well. I built two appliance drawers and one recycling drawer and used one store bought recycling drawer. I like my home made recycling drawer better, the store bought one is kinda flimsy. I installed these in an area behind the built in refrigerator. I ordered custom full access door hardware for the bi-fold door so that I could access the shallow shelves that I built into the wall.

235582.jpg

235583.jpg

235584.jpg

235585.jpg

235586.jpg

235587.jpg

And in the pantry I installed 4 drawers behind the other half of the area behind the refrigerator. These drawers are 4 that I saved from the old cabinets, I just updated them with full extension drawer slides. I also installed a fixed shelf above these drawers but I don't have a photo of that. I'm quite pleased with the amount of storage space that is in this combined pantry and hall closet.
happy.gif

235588.jpg

235589.jpg

235590.jpg

Allen, thanks.
happy.gif
I had posted some progress and before photos here earlier they can be seen in the "Archive through June 01, 2011" link above. This was the 5th time I've tiled a floor it was also the hardest one I've done (it darn near killed me.) The first one was the marble I did in the main floor bath back in the early 90's. I also installed ceramic wall tile and glass block in that bathroom. The second was the tile in the formal entry in the addition I added in the late 90's, see below. This floor include four, 1/2 thick, etched slate tile "stepping stones" that I inset into the 1/4" thick ceramic tile. I had to make cut outs in the tile backer board to allow for the different thickness of the slate. The 3rd was the marble on the floor and walls and glass block in the second floor master bath back in 2003 the 4th was the bunk room hallway at the cabin in 2006. I think I'm just about done rebuilding this house... I'd kind of like to rebuild some more Cubs now.

Here's the entry floor.

235593.jpg

Here's a photo of the master bath. This was taken shortly after I installed the cabinets, but the baseboard was not yet up. It has however been installed for many years now.
happy.gif

235594.jpg

Ah yes, glass block. Kraig any way you can take a few pictures of the shower? We have an old ClawFoot Walking tub that needs to be replaced. It's so high that it's becoming a safety/slipping hazard for us. One thought I had was the use of glass blocks for a shower wall to keep the appearance of size and brightness, and you used large wall tiles which could be a method to think about for here. Thnx, A.

Allen, when I rebuilt the master bath I gutted the entire room. The only thing I reused was the cast iron shower base. I replaced the solid end wall with the glass block to let light into the shower. Also I doubled the size of the bath. It was a tiny square room with one corner sink. I annexed the space that was previously a walk through closet. I had just built a two story addition with a full basement room. We expanded the master bedroom into the addition. This is the same addition that gave us the new entry room. I carved out new closet space in the existing area of the old bedroom for my new closet and I stole back some vaulted space from above the great room for a nice big walk in closet for my wife. In the new space for the bathroom I also installed a window to let in light. Here's a few photos that I have on hand from when I was finishing it up back in 2003. Not sure if this will show what you are looking for or not. I had debated installing a tub to the left of the toilet but decided against it. In that location we have since placed a dresser. Makes it quite convenient to have the underwear and sock drawers in the bathroom.
happy.gif

BTW, glass block is a pain to install. Being non-absorbent you have to mix the mortar rather dry and mix in special admix stuff to improve adhesion. Because the mortar is stiff it's open time is short and you have to work quick. As much as I like the look of glass block I don't EVER want to have to install it again. If I have to redo either bathroom again I'm going to install a partial fiberglass surround with glass walls.

235599.jpg

235600.jpg

235601.jpg

Kraig,
This is our second time ordering hatched chicks. Last year we used Murray McMurray this year we used Cackle Hatcheries and were happier this year.

We have a incubator and several very broody hens that have hatched out, and we have done both ways in the past. This is my 11 year old daughters venture in selling eggs and particapating in 4H.

We order pure bred specific chickens and is why we used the hatcheries otherwise they would be hatched at home.

This is a Dominque,, my favorite

235605.jpg

and a funny family portrait in the chicken coop

235606.jpg

Kraig great work on the house. That is some tegious work that you have perfected.
worthy.gif

Jeff, thanks for the info.
happy.gif
I like that family portrait.
thumbsup.gif

Luther, thanks. I have an awesome wife that has more confidence in my abilities than I do...

Kraig-
Nice house remodel photos. "Someone" in our house wants to remodel our main bathroom. I keep telling her, she can start whenever she wants...
pop.gif

I've thought about raising Chickens as well. Maybe we should have a co-op in chicken farming. You raise them, I'll butcher them!
happy.gif

"You raise them, I'll butcher them! " ...Isn't it a whole lot easier to go to the local market and get one 'ready to cook' ?? <font size="-2">(If the family turns them into pets, you cant eat them anyway. Oh who's for supper tonight...Sara, Bill ??)</font>
1a_violin.gif

Kraig, thanks for the extra pictures of the tile work. I think that lately, glass block may come in sections and held together with silicon adhesives. Got to check further on that. A.

Art, thanks.
happy.gif
I recall something about her wanting you to redo the bath quite some time ago. Hmmm, if I told my wife that she could start a remodeling project anytime she wants, she would start ripping things apart right away,
facepalm.gif
making more work for me fixing the stuff that wouldn't have needed fixing if I'd had started it myself...

Allen, yes, you can get dry stack-able glass block that is then caulked in place. It was available when I did the first bath back in the early 90's but I opted for the old school version.

Back