• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,

Shed door / earth drive:

When I did my shed, I made a sill plate for the bottom edge of the door out of 4"x3"x1/4" angle iron to protect the wooden edge from nicks and cuts from throwers, plows, decks, blades, disks, etc. It works really slick and makes for a great place for the garage door to seal down on too!!!

Since this pic was taken a 1" white rock apron/ramp has been added to the front of the shed, about 4' out from the door, to make driving in a smooth transition...

15304.jpg

Denny F....Sometimes paperwork doesn't ALWAYS prove something......I have a photo of that 15/5288 "tractor"!!! Top secret IH photo police "acquired" it for me.

Now if someone could turn up some pics of the Tiger Cubs used at State Fairs...........

Casting code "Y" represents 1975. IH did not use the letter "V" as it looks too much like a "U". Believe that IH registry site has this in a e-z to read chart.

(Message edited by Kupdike on January 22, 2004)

I am looking at an 1872 but I can't find out much information about these tractors. Can I cost effectively add a cat 0 hitch and or a rear pto? Will I be able to find the parts other than the dealer? This is a hydro with split brakes, 60 inch deck, that is all I know. What is a super? Any and all help appreciated.

Hmmmmm... anything missing here? (grin)

15306.jpg

Well, we'll have to do something about that... let's fit some fenders on it, move the hydro up....

15307.jpg

Maybe come up with a custom driveshaft...

15308.jpg

And pull the rear wheels off so that I can drill mounting holes for the front of the hydro..

15309.jpg

I know she looks beat and dirty, but I'm not trying to win any beauty contests while she's being built... Just trying to get everything to fit together. Thanks Ryan for the PS column and cylinder. Any idea who this column is made by so I can get some flow diagrams for it?

Wow, I just got a 'second chance' notice on the 782 frame that I was bidding on in Hickory, NC (about 80 miles from here) that has what I'll need to get dual hydraulics on her too... I guess whoever won the auction either didn't want it or couldn't pick it up. Was it anyone here on the forum?

Vic-
15311.jpg

The 1872 is a great tractor. It's considered a "Super" because it's got a lengthened frame. The 1872 technically isn't on-topic on this board, but it's basically just a yellow and white 982 with powersteering. To answer your question, No the 3-point and PTO are not "cost effective". <font size="-2">but they sure are cool!</font>
happy.gif

Let me know if I can answer any other questions..

Jeff-
I got your sandals right here...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mike,

Way cool!!! That does look like it will be sharp. Just have to look at it's inner beauty.
happy.gif

Bryan,

I will miss the "Executive" paint scheme.
sad.gif
Just when the paint department got there act together.

Apostle Ken-
Little G might have some, there was an article in their newsletter about 3 years ago about the "Fearless Frisbee" and his "animal show" using the jumping Cub Cadets . . . . . more or less it looked/read like it was a sales promo for the 123 hydrostatic tractor.

BRYAN - When did You catch WYATT out Cruising with His truck?
biggrin.gif
KEN - How many Bushel Baskets of Secret Pic's have You got? I know the day during the strike I saw that 1586/5288 Prototype sitting down in the shipping area at FARMALL getting ready to ship back to Hinsdale or wherever I almost got Arrested by the FARMALL Police. I'm running something down to shipping from up in the plant on a forklift and I see this tractor and it looks "Funny". I Slam on the brakes & jump off the forklift to take a peek. #2 Manager in QA, Ray Egland, comes running out of the shipping office to chase Me away. I knew Ray really well so when He saw it was Me He calmed down a little, explained a few of the features like the Synchro-Tri-Six transmission, DT-466, etc. Then told Me to forget I ever saw it and get out of the area.

Anyone out there still using their 149 as an everyday Machine? I have some small leaks and some steering play and need some advise. Sell it of fix it for everyday use to maintain about seven acres?
Please advise. Thanks, Herb

Herbert,

I use my 149 every chance I can get to mow the lawn with the 50C deck that's under it. Nothing could be finer than a one-forty-niner... =)

Mike J., great photos, you're off the hook now. Oh Travis....... :eek:)

Denny, ;o)

Bridge pictures coming soon, just have to resize them.

Jeff E., thanks for the links!!!!

I was off a few years, the "new" bridge was completed in 1911.

15314.jpg

15315.jpg

15316.jpg

15317.jpg

15318.jpg

15319.jpg

I had to break out the old 1 megapixel camera that was in the drawer to take those. I'm very curious to see what Travis has come up with. With the 782 frame that i'm picking up this weekend, I may use that frame for the rear part of this unit instead of the 1x50 frame, which is still great because I've got the '82 series 3-pt sitting here that I can use. I really want to get the two halves together and have a rolling articulating chassis soon, but that depends on how the weekend goes. Travis, are you going for duals, or just using 4 really wide meats? I've got duals on my drawing board. I'm also wanting to do something special with the exhaust, but I haven't finialized that yet. May try to route it like a 782D's exhaust if I have room...

Mike J., what are you using for a drive shaft to the rear hydro? How are you handling the high RPM U-joint?

More bridge photos, I took these one foggy morning on my way to work in the mid 1990s.
15321.jpg
15322.jpg

15323.jpg

15324.jpg

This last one is my favorite.

While it's not a train bridge I thinks it's a cool photo. This is the Stillwater lift bridge, circa 1985.
15326.jpg

Ed.
Yes it has both, but I was also told the block was a replacement done by the second owner (either a Mini block without a crank, or a short block with crank), he (3rd owner)didn't know which.

Kraig,

I may use the u-joints and slide from a snowblower drive... that way I'll still be using cub parts that were designed to spin that fast. I'm not sure how the angle of the front hydro unit is tilted up will affect the driveline angle. I may have to use a 2 peice driveshaft, one from the rear of the hydro to the rear of the front frame, and another from there to the input of the second hydro. I've got to get the articulation worked out first so that I see how much I've got to work with, and what my lengths are going to be. At that point, you'll probably see some 'wanted' listings pop up in the wanted section. I also want to get the steering cylinder mounted so that I know how far my steering limits are...

Mike, I'm going to run 26X12-12 ags. Mine is at pretty much the same point yours is. I decided to go with a 25hp Command, so I need to wait until I get the engine before I mount the front axle. I slid mine ahead a little farther than you did. I want the least amount of weight hanging off the front as possible. That is also part of the reason I want the command.

Is the some kind of a conversion kit for a Command into an 82 series? I'm mainly after the drive hub parts on the back of the engine.

Back