• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry, heres another head scratcher. I have a CA Allis-Chalmers that I cut hay with. Last year I had trouble with it stalling out. Let it set for a few minutes and it would run again. Maybe a minute, maybe 5 or 10. When I had ran it out of gas once I left the cap off while I walked back to get a can of gas. While I was gone a bumble bee thought that open tank was the place to be and once inside was overcome by the fumes. Every so often that bee sloshing around would clog the fuel outlet and starve the engine for fuel. You might look in your tank for something floating around in there choking off fuel flow. Another thought is where is the float pivot in relationship to the back of the tractor? It could be that if its toward the front the engine would have to use more fuel from the bowl before the float could drop and let more fuel in when the wheels were off the pavement.

Got about 10" here in the Genesee Valley and it's still coming down. Got out there in the shop this AM after a quick trip to Saxby's for a belt and to look longingly at the Original on the showroom floor. Put the charger on as it was 12 below last night and figured to cook up the battery a tad. After reading the blower posts here, I figured to give the QA42/123 a quick shot of grease. Pulled the guards off at the auger sprocket, looks like they've never been off, and found that the sprocket had moved to the outside to the point that the (very dry) chain had worn almost 1/2 way through the casting and the zerk fitting on the outside trunnion. Didn't get into the bearing, as it was wearing high on the casting, but there was enough play in the shaft that I could move it and see the needles inside, rusty and pretty dry. Great!! So, I hit the chain with good chain lube, and worked it till it freed up a lot, tightened up the chain a bit, and hit the exposed needles with Muscle grease to try and get her so I could get the driveway cleared. Greased all the other fittings. Wouldn't start, hit it with the booster and she fired up, have to adjust the belt a tad tighter, but it all worked well enough. It's up to a whopping 10 above now, so I rolled her into the heated shop and will let her dry out 'til AM. My old CC42 has a good casting and looks well greased, so it's transplant time. Don't have any books on it, so I have to ask you folks why the sprocket moved so far, and how do I keep it from recurring. I'll probably add some brass thrust washers to keep the sprocket from eating the casting. Am I missing seeing a broken opin or something? Another mixed day, good seat time and another lesson in Cubbing!

Jerry H. -

I use Case/<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> 251H grease, which is the same grease I use on everything else on the tractors. Listed in <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> catalogs and manuals of the day.

The zerk mod was suggested by the Apostle, IIRC, a looooooong time ago back in the forum's Voyager days...

Terry- besides conditions noted already, what's the likelyhood that under thatparticular stress, you're getting something that's flexing enough to cut out igntion or the condenser? That'd cause a funny spark-event at the wrong time...

Dave, back in the days, we used to run 8 volt batteries in six volt cars that were hard to start. Two 8's would be 16 - prolly too much for a 12 volt system...

Don, that is today's project. I am farm-sitting for mom & dad, they are on vacation, so I was up at their place in Shirland working and having a heck of a time. My cellphone fell out of my coat pocket and got buried in the snow, looked for that for over a hour, got my truck stuck in the snow for about another hour to dig that out. And then I came home and shoveled a bit.. decided ill wait until city plows my drive shut for the last time, then Ill only fire up the 105 and take care of this mess once.

Dave, How about some pic's of Loader-Mutt? Perhaps we need a Picture album.

Torin M,
Wouldn't it have been eaiser just to call yourself to find it!
clappy.gif

Johnny- the charging system runs at 13.4-14, and 18 isn't substantially higher in terms of what the S-G can handle... even for short cranking, it's fine at 24... it only takes about a second to light it up... it's QUICK!. The trick there would be rigging up a series-parallel arrangement just for starting- series in start, parallel in run.

If I set it up to RUN on 16-18-24v, I'd hafta put a ballast-resistor on the ignition coil (and use a starting-bypass like older cars!) and I'd hafta either use different bulbs, or run 'em in series.

The other option, is recalculate the turns of the start and generate windings against the armature windings, and re-configure the start function so the motor runs in shunt-wound configuration rather than series-wound. My suspicion is that when I pull down my S/G, I'll find that the brushes are worn enough to limit armature and field current... I also assume that the end-bushing is probably worn enough to cause a malignment of brushes, erat, poor contact.

Herb- I'll try'n twist Ann's arm to shoot a picture or two... when the weather's really bad, and snow's really flyin', she doesn't like to be outside (plus, the kids are inside running amok) but with all the snow moved now, it's kinda hard to find a good setting... :-}

Good Grief!
All this talk about multi batteries! Tune the sucker up, make sure everything is tight, get a good battery and a Cub will start at 40 below with one battery!!!!!!!

DaveK: My experience is that when I reroute the ground cable(s) on <u>any</u> IH product (& I've got 2-3 or so) to establish a low-no resistance ground to complete the circuit, I find I have no slow cranking in the cold....
MyronB

Helicoil
Thanks Dave and others, I pulled the 321 yesterday and plan to order parts tomorrow. Can I drill the insert hole(25/64th) with a hand drill or do I need a drill press? How much clearence do I have? Would Carter and Gruenwald have this stuff? They are great folks to do business with.
Herb

Charlie- I was by myself, and they don't have any cordless phones, so I called a friend on the landline, and asked him to keep calling the cell phone till I heard it ringing in the snow. Dam hard to find, even when you do start hearing it ring, buried in the snow!

Torin,
I see the paper said we only had 7.6 inches it sure looked like more than that at my house.Does it look like 7.6 at your house?How did you find your phone? Call your number?LOL

Torin,
Da, If I'd read a little further I'da seen you called your phone to find it.

Bear with me as until this past Wednesday, I've been a deere guy. I was given a 122 w/ deck, that doesn't run. The small wire to the generator is melted, & the coil & battery are missing. PO said 12 horse Kolher ran strong. I have purchased a service manual for her, & will start working on her in the spring.
I need info on all attachments for this little jewel. I had planned only to use this tractor for pulling, but the PO said it mowed great, & I'd like to throw a 12" brinly behind her if that's possible.
Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. Photos or a web site with photos would be a BIG help.
Ya'll from the green site-HOWDY.
Papaw

I really don't know how much we got.. I would suspect about 7 or 8". Just a guess, though.

How the heck do the meteorologists determine snowfall, and not take into account for drifting and such? Do they use some type of 'snow gauge' that would be impervious to drifts and blowing?

Danger of having too much Cub stuff, can't find my 6-12 2-link chains!!! Finally swapped the 10-50 Titans out for the 6-12's. Put all sorts of weight on and the old snow/slus- now turned ice, made some spots a little tough to plow.

Anyone happen to make V-bar chains for 6-12 tires? I suppose I could always assemble my own too.

Pheww!!

2 hours, 5 driveways, 4 fire hyrdrants, 1 path to the shed, 10 inches of snow, 1 tank of dino juice... aaghh aggh aghh!!!

i love the smell of cub exhaust in the morning!
joker.gif

Back