• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kurt R. -

I've been beginning to wonder. Maybe he's trapped under an Airstream...

<font size="-2">'Ere, he says he's not dead.</font>

Close,
Traped in the house with the wife (on something close to bed rest, baby due in late April) and three kids. The Airstream is looking better every day
wink.gif

I'm still painting that 149 for my neighbor and trying to figure out what to do when it is done. Work on the 682 or Foxtrot. Most likely it will be the 682 so I have a reliable runner.

I'm going back under the Airstream for a little peace and quite.
happy.gif

Just came in from the garage, no snow to play in (yet...maybe 1-2" tonight) so I spent some quality time with a freshly overhauled K-321 and a MWSC clutch assembly. Since the 148 will use a ring gear starter, I had to modify the sheetmetal on the blower housing to hide the oval air intake hole and change some of the shrouding, etc. Then I started playing with the grass screen and the MWSC clutch driver.......they are not a happy match
sad.gif
Good news is that a little "Blun-gineering" fixed it right up...the grass screen is now mounted to the back of the MWSC driver (instead of the flywheel) and everything goes together slick.

Tomorrow the 128 comes into the garage for a partial tear down so I can get the clutch parts installed and beefed up accordingly before the rear gets swapped out and the creeper gets rebuilt. I also need the engine in the frame so I can start in on the hyd. lift set-up and the exhaust stack.

I doubt that I'll have the 148 all painted and dolled'up by Plow Day, but it should be there to work in it's "test mule" clothes.

If all goes according to plan, the 782 will be there as well, sporting a new CI rear end and a Mag 18
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Seat time looks like it could be an all day event for me tommorrow. Spent 2 hours outside with the 582M with the blade on just opening up 4 driveways for the neighbors and then I switched over to the blower for in the am. We have about 8" now with the possibility of more over night plus we are in a Blizzard warning until sometime tommorrow.

I just got in from spending 1.5 hours on the 1650 and QA42A snowthrower. It sure was fun but the snow is blowing back in the driveway as fast as I could move it away. The yard is staying pretty clean but I will have to hit the driveway again before the step daughter has to go to work. I sure was glad I had the cab on because that wind is nasty. I am going to have to find some kind of exhasut deflector. The chute froze in one spot about 1/2 hour ago. The snow just melted into ice on top of the auger frame and froze everything up. It was almost 1" thick. I chopped it loose and got it freed up for the next go around before I came inside. I wanted to take some pictures but the wife and step daughter were still sleeping. Maybe later this afternoon.

Steve B.
Do you know what you are going to use for the hydraulic pump? I am doing something similar, putting a 16 hp later model Kohler in a 1200. I want to put hydraulics on it for a Cat 0 3-point hitch. It's never going to be a mower tractor so I don't need the pto.

Yeah, 8" seems about right. Hard to tell with all the drifting. Didn't get out until after the township went down the street, so I had a big pile of slushy heavy crap at the end of the driveway. Took multiple passes just to break out - doesn't help that I have a not-quite-right belt on there. Got it clear enough to drive out and got proper belts at True Value. Gonna finish up after lunch.

Wes H,
1 1/2" Hrs.!!!! You WHIMP! LOL
Just got in from 4 hours havin a blast!!!!
5 square blocks of sidewalks and a few driveways.
thumbsup.gif

25186.jpg

25187.jpg
thumbsup.gif

Everybody get enough snow?? I measured from 10" to 12" here in Cary.

Charlie/Wes,
You're both wimps!
bouncy.gif
, Spent 9 1/2 hr. cleaning the parking lots out at Granger's Corporate Headquarters with a CAT 966 and
20' "Super Blade", then topped it off with 1 hour on the 71 in my drive. Now to try to get some sleep, getting ready for "Round 2"!
yawn.gif

Does look like though.

(Message edited by thoffman on January 22, 2005)

Tyler- Loader-Mutt is doin' Great! Got the keys to my dad's heated shops for a few days, so I had Mutt up there last night for a top-off of the HyTran, checked the battery, cleaned the posts, connecitons etc, and put on battery post protectant... checked the timing, carb, and governor, all spot-on, starts great in the heated garage, but don't start worth crap after sitting in my freeze-box garage overnight... Like all my other Kohlers, it cranks really slow and kicks back. Like all the rest, when I put on the 18v bump-box, it lights right up... Mebbie I'll set it up to run a small 6v and small 12v battery...

I did make one addition- I pulled out the little nosepiece grille-screen and installed two rectangular 35w agri-floodlights, and save for the fact that the pair didn't match, it looks pretty stock. I know I've got another pair around here somewhere (I had two of each on a previous vehicle, and they ended up in separate boxes). As soon as I find that box, I'll set it up so the lights match. The bracket was really simple- a piece of flat stock from one of the T-bolts to the other... two holes... bolt lights... rock and roll! Gonna make another bracket for the 109!

Sorry Charlie, I may be a wimp but living in the country I only have to worry about my yard. The closest place is a half mile down the road, and they have thier own blower. It was a good workout for the 1650 moving that 8-10" of snow. Quite often I was moving drifts over 16" deep. I need to get a bolt to hold the belt tightener though. The belt was just starting to slip when I quit. I just got off, tightened it back up and made a few more passes. I did almost kill it once when I was blinded by the snow and hit a big drift before I could pull back on the hydro lever. I will spend quite a bit of time outside tomorrow after the wind dies down.

Ah, a fresh, properly sized belt made all the difference in the world. Those dual pipes bark real nice when ya shove it into a drift!
buttrock.gif

Wes -

I hear you on adding a bolt. I've got the correct "clip" and it seems rather useless.

I'm in a neighborhood that's kinda between yours and Charlie's, we have no sidewalks, the properties all have a WIDE frontage, everyone either has a tractor, snowthrower or a service, and I don't think there's a senior in the subdivision, let alone one that needs their driveway plowed. So I just do our own. The fun for me is jockeying the 2 vehicles on the apron while trying to clear around them- NOT!!

Was starting on the fifth driveway and saw this black snake flying through the air, Crap that's not a snake, that's the dive belt for the thrower. It was a cheep belt from ACE Hardware, get what you pay for

Ah, the benefits of insulated boots! Wearing the same Carrharts I usually wear when removing snow, I was sweating today. Sure makes a difference when your feet are warm and dry.
Spent two hours on our drive, the block sidewalk, and the apron of two drives with about 18" of city street snow shoved onto them, then re-re-shoveling the patio from the kitchen to the garage and drive. Can't get a tractor through the gate.
It was hard telling how deep the snow was, since it varied so much. Several places were only about 6", but quite a few were over the top of the blade, and one sidewalk rise had about 18-20" at the bottom. Naturally I was going uphill.
Had to slide the rear of the 147 back onto the sidewalk three times because of the rudder effect of the blade scooting me off the edge of the walk. Normally that wouldn't be too bad, but where it happened there's about a three or four foot drop into a ditch. Didn't feel that brave.
I had to shove snow off the back of the drive into the yard so I'd have someplace to put this snow and the rest that's supposed to fall tonight. After a couple of tries, I managed to time lifting the blade a little with the electric lift so I wasn't scalping grass at the same time. Might be ugly there for a while this spring.

Bryan, I was looking through the pictures in your gallery (that you mentioned yesterday). I see you have a picture of a rear mounted right angle gear box with a grease fitting on the cover. Are you using "regular" grease in the gear box? I'm rebuilding a gear box to use with a 1A tiller.

How did that work for you? Do you have any suggestions for grease (or oil) to use in the box?

TIA

Torin,
I got this end of Loves Park cleaned out, How's your end going? I was out there for 4 hrs. I did half the neighbor and the guy two doors over did the other half with his $10,000 green machine,altho I would like to have his cab he has on his. I'm not sure how much snow we got but it has to be close to 10 inches, it made the 1250 and snowblower have a good workout.

Weird thing happened today.
I was clearing snow off a cement patio on the rear of the house with the one armed 147 loader. I dropped the tip down and dragged the bucket back-wards to scrape the snow and ice off. As I was backing up my rear wheels would step down about 5 inches from the patio to the ground. When the rear wheels stepped down the angle of the tractor would be roughly 15 degrees with the front end being higher. I needed to keep the bucket on the patio so I would lower lower the bucket. Just about then the tractor would backfire. It sounded like a gunshot. Now I was using this drag method other places and I wasn't getting a backfire. I am wondering if it had something to do with the angle? Or maybe dropping off the patio and lowering the bucket at the same time was causing the governor to rev. This might have caused a stall then a glut of fuel. Much like turning it off then one again to get a backfire. I recently tuned to carburetor and I turned the high speed screw in quite a bit. However, I did follow the manual. The manual said if the engine backfires under a load the mixture is too lean and I should turn the screw out one quarter turn. I was using the blade and bucket quite a bit today and it didn't backfire except when i was scrapping the patio.

Has anyone else experienced backfires with the front up and the engine under a load? Is the carb and float designed to run at that angle? Maybe the fuel filter isn't flowing the fuel quick enough? I know I could just turn the high speed out a quarter turn but then I would be running rich most of the time. And maybe being too lean isn't even why it was backfiring.

This is a head scratcher. Any thoughts?

Jerry, I had a C.C. dealer tell me once that he used a mix of genuine C.C. grease and 80w-90. Seems like he said the C.C. grease had silicone in it or something like that. I used the mix in my tiller box at about the consistency of jelly and a little on the runny side for the snow thrower gear box. Been that way for almost 15 years now with no leaks or trouble.

Back