• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll make my apoligies first, First time cub cadet owner, first time forum user. Please be gentle with the virgin.
I aquired a 1650 with "things"( as the previous owner called them) One of the things is a mower deck. Pulled two pins its off. After a few more pins I had another thing (snow blower)on. Here is where the guessing begins. The lift linkage is missing from the tab on the blower to the lever by your right ankle? which is moved by the hydrolic cylinder. There is a piece of linkage that connects the two with one pin? The linkage moves but the lever doesn't the linkage pivots on the pin and uses the whole stroke of the cylinder before it engages the lever. does anyone have a picture of how this linkage works? It would be It would be deeply appreciated.

Michael O,
Time to pull the center tunnel cover off and check the linkage and look for a sheared off roll pin and or something else missing. That's where I would start.
25201.jpg

Torin,
Having a cousin in the weather biz.
Believe it or not, they use a flat board 24" square, setting in an out of the way place and a ruler. Now on occasion, they do have to make adjustments depending on the temp out side and how warm or cold it is and the density of the snow and on and on and on.

CD- with the small wire melted, and the coil and battery gone, my bet is that the reason why it stopped was probably the voltage regulator stickin' and boiling battery and burning out the coil. When you get it all back together. Either that, or there's a short in the wiring harness- some'a those tended to get brittle over time, but a new harness will fix it.

Charlie- it IS tuned up, and the ground-return and battery are excellent. S/G is probably in need of attention, and that will get done while I'm gone next week. IN an unheated garage, my 109 turns over at exactly 208rpm (tach) regardless of wether I'm using the on-board battery or a 12v deep-cycle hooked direct to block and S/G. She won't start at 208, but if I go 24v, it jumps to 470rpm, in which case, it starts With Authority!.

We finally received enough snow so I could use my blower (first time ever). I had a concern on how my 129 would handle a 42 inch blower, but I was amazed on how it threw the snow. I loved it.
I do have two questions for someone/anyone.
First – The adjustable extension on the chute seems to have too sharp of a curve (picture attached). The snow goes up or just a couple feet from the blower. I looked at pictures of other blowers posted and the chutes seem to have a mild curve and the snow seems to go a long distance. Did anyone change theirs or is mine just different?
Second is regarding the u-joint on the rod that changes the direction of the chute. It comes off when the chute becomes stiff to turn (from ice build up). I know I can bend it together and it will help but is still looks like it will come apart. Did anyone make improvements on this?
Thanks again
Earl
Burnsville, MN
25213.jpg

Charlie,
Thanks for the pic. I found the broken roll pin.My C.C. has a rod going to the back too and the pin is under the bracket for that.I couldn't see it until I got underneath and slipped the lever on the shaft. There is even a small hole in the frame to put a new one in. Learn something new every day. Now for my next question. How come yours is so clean ? Thanks again.

Hey Guys,
Finally stopped snowing in southern NH. Got 24 + inches of the white stuff. 10 degrees with norhtery wind gusts at around 50 mph making for some pretty deep difts. My neighbor snapped this pic when I was throwing directly into the wind.

Charlie, I'm loving this mod. Think we have 3 other northeastern cubbers that will convert for the next storm!
25216.jpg

Earl,
The thrower your using is Qa42 that was designed for a narrow frame Cub. Looks like someone built out the bracket where it mounts to your wide frame tractor.

The Qa42a does have a different shute, less bent with a handle. Was designed for both your machine(wide frame), and narrow frame.

That shouldn't be the throwing problem. You need to slip plate the inside of the thrower housing/auger. Is it rusty/nicked inside housing. Take care of that...and....

then ask Charlie about the modification.
Marcus

Well, got the snow cleared, and the 123 is in the barn warming up overnight so I can swap the casting on the QA42s' drive sprocket. Had a little bit of reluctant behavior out of the Kohler, she quit, carb froze up. Condensation from Mother Natures' mood swings (80 last week, 12 below Friday night) or maybe she inhaled some of the powder swirling around me. Let it sit for a minute or two and the ambient heat from the motor was enough to warm it up again, added a little slosh of dry gas and all seems well.

Here is a shot of the old gal after work
25218.jpg

And this is my latest bit of education in the fine art of Cubology:
25219.jpg

Earl,
If you click on my profile(the highlighted name above), you will see a pic of a Qa36, a Qa42a with double paddle, and a Qa42a with 4 paddles all next to each other.
Marcus

Charlie - I would have thought they had something more scientific than that... Seen a few yards that were drifted down to the grass in spots. Maybe they do multiple samplings in diffwerent areas and average them? I dunno.

Got done plowing my end of the Park, Don S. I about went over the steering wheel, hitting a chunk of ice or something, then I realized the spring trip was locked out. And frozen there! Ill have to make a mental note to check that before I plow!

Hey Charlie, HTH did it become your mod???
lol.gif

Earl, The chute may not be the problem, if you can't get around to doing the full blown Slip Plate coating routine, try using PAM-type cooking spray, Armorall, WD40 or other cheap spray on lube and soak the chute down well. It doesn't last long, but works. When you can, either get the blower sandblasted smooth, or try to sand it a bit better by hand. If you search here, the search engine will lead you to a lot of info on how to refurb the thrower and how to properly slip plate it. The other thing I learned is that you have to run full throttle and adjust your ground speed accordingly, and keep the auger full, the more snow you feed it the better they like it, make the governor work and dig in!

Scott-
Thanks for shoveling hydrants. The task is OK for the first few snows, but it gets old and DEEP fast!!!

Earl L,
It looks to me like you need to loosen those T-handles on that chute and pull it up to it touches the lower chute.

Next, go to Kraigs post on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 01:08 pm: and check out how he solved that very problem.

Torin,
Do a Google search for "snow gauge" and you will find everything you ever wanted to know, grin

Bryan,
Beats me, I was thinkin that Kraig was the first to do it 2 or 3 years ago, but I'm not sure.
I'll betcha someone will remember though. I've got CRS ya know!

JC Whitney used to sell a series/parallel solenoid. I used it with a couple of 12 volts mounted over the rear axle for a very tight 375hp 327inch fuelie engine I built for my MG-TF back in the sixties.

I bought a Bobcat 453 with a 20 hp 3 cylinder Kubota for a thousand. The Bobcat needs wheel bearings that will cost me at least $1500. I could probably sell it without the engine for a thousand. Can you think of anything I could do with the 20hp Kubota? heh heh heh

Digger, if I could go back to the sixties and reverse the sale of that MG, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Latest posts

Back