• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbarnett

displayname
doug barnett
Kraig M. the mod was pretty easy. It took awhile to cut the mount with a saws all, if a guy had a plasma cutter it would be breeze. I think I might add some buggy bumpers to the front also
I planned to post this one earlier.

293522.jpg

I have a Sawzall, sadly I do not have a plasma cutter.

Charlie P. Anyway that you could add your way to clean a rusty gas tank to the FAQ section?
happy.gif

Keith O.,

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my tractor(s).

I thought maybe valve springs might work. Has anyone had success with that method of support?

Brian,

I got those springs at a local farm and home store oddly the name of the store is Charlies. They keep me from getting seasick or bottoming out like the old tractors with a spring without a shock under the seat.

Which steering cap should my 1977 1650 have on it?
293530.jpg

293531.jpg

or the long triangle one.

Keith O.
It could have either one of those or even the long triangle style, depending on what steering wheel yours has, which I assume your have the smaller style.
293533.jpg

Doug B - yes I was waiting all weekend, but that was for the Seattle Seahawks to beat Green Bay - and that was the most amazing and unbelievable game I've ever seen. But yes I was anxious to see your U-bolt and it looks great. I see you also moved your lift rod into the upper hole in the bracket so it gives you a little more lift height. And I see you've beena busy beaver modifying your seat as well - looks good and like it should stay put pretty well too.

Keith O - I don't know the serial number build break but generally if you have 1" front spindles you should have the later style steering wheel which uses the small triangle cap with the silver IH emblem. (The small triangle cap withOUT the silver IH emblem is a replacement CCC cap). If you have the earlier 3/4" front spindles you should have the earlier style steering wheel that uses the long triangular decal to cover the nut on the steering wheel.

Kraig M. THANK YOU!!!
happy.gif

On adding seat springs to the 125. I'll have to wait until spring. Ian has the little fella with the snowthrower onit right now. I'm giong to look into using a 1/4" plate to mount the springs to and use the isomounts on the back to keep the seat from leaning back too far. I just don't like to cut up any of the OEM pieces.

Off to work. Eveyone Be safe and enjoy the day.

can anyone tell me what size bolt holds pully on the kohler 12.5 command engine? i think its a 5/8 but is it a coarse thread or fine?

OK, I've got another question.
Earlier last week I asked about what the bearings are on a 60" Haban deck.
Charlie and Jim P. answered. Thanks!
But the further I look into these double shielded bearings, it looks like they come pre-greased and you don't need to grease them.
1a_scratchhead.gif

So why did Haban put grease zerks on each spindle for grease???
a_blink2.gif
confused.gif

#2 question. As far as grease goes, what is the difference between shielded bearings and sealed bearings? I know sealed bearings don't turn as freely as shielded ones.
popcorn2.gif

Shultzie
I remove the plastic cover over the bearings and repack them by hand. I just do not trust that they have the correct amount of grease. a seal pick will pop it out. You could leave the over off on the side that would get grease from the fitting if you want . btdt

I guess my machine is a hodgepodge of different parts. It has the ccc replacement one now and I have a IH emblem one to put on it so all I need in the future is the 1" spindles to upgrade a little more.

i'm working on ordering my spindle bearings for my 42 inch deck on my 124.
The 473430r91 shows to be a 2 piece cone style bearing. I see options for other bearings that are cylindrical. Is that a better way to go?

here is the spindle change point..

front spindle size change @632502

Here is some additional info for the steering

IH used two different steering gearboxes on the Quiet Line sreies. The tractors made after serial number 530858 have a Ross steering box IH part number 40884R91. Te previous tractors used Ross steering box IH part number 548085R91.

The new steering gearbox 400884R91 has a 1-inch longer tube than the 548085R91. It was lengthened to provide more clearance of the hydro conrtol lever with the steering wheel.

IH changed to the new steering column on February 28, 1977. Ih used two steering wheels on this series, and the difference is in the center cap. Te earlier models have a triangle shaped IH decal 546708R2 used with steering wheel part number 54719R1.

This wheel was retained from the 1x8,9 sreies. The later models have a black plastic center cap. This cap has a silver IH emblem molded into it.

The steering wheel itself was changed to have all three arms that radiate from center hub to be identicle. Te indent made for the 546708R2 decal was removed from the wheel.

No other info found, and this info was taken from the book Farmall cub and cub cadets.

Latest posts

Back