• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrichardson

displayname
jason richardson
Darn Archive, should I post it now that the humor may have depreciated? Ahh, what the heck.

15227.jpg

Jeff, I can't say for sure about the measurement, but it is an EXACT ruler.....

Bill G., that "lift bar" would be shaped somewhat like a hockey stick. It's number 4 in the drawing below.
15229.jpg

Travis has them on his website CCSpecialties for $30, can't beat that!

Mark C.- the hydro unit your speaking of should have a metal tag attached to the reservoir with a model# and serial # which were found on older cubs but not sure as to which models.

Bob

I could order the snowblower belt from a sponsor or a local IH dealer, but need the belt now.
I have to believe that if I had dimensions - I could buy it today at a local parts house

heres some photos of my tractor lift that i found for $200.00 bucks
your_image.gif

heres some photos of my tractor lift that i found for $200.00 bucks
15232.jpg
15233.jpg
15234.jpg

So Art . . .
You going to get rid of your 71 now???
drool.gif

(Message edited by wcompton on January 19, 2004)

Dan K,
Since it obvious that you have an idiot for a parts guy, The Dayco Premium belt is P/N 1328 and is 3/8" wide x 27 7/8 or 28" long, which is a solid belt and the IH belt IH-487043-R1 is a notched belt which will last longer and grip better.
15236.jpg

15237.jpg

BTW, to get a measurement on belts when ya don't have one handy, take a round extension cord that's about 3/8" wide and wrap it around your pulleys. Works me and has for years.

Bryan and Art,

I'll take the opportunity to chime in on the subject of ignition noise and why Tiny Tachs don't work very well on Kohlers with battery ignition systems. Ignition coil is an inductor (current storage device) hooked to a capacitor (voltage storage device). It's the basis for an oscillator circuit. When breaker points open collapsing the primary field in the coil, an outrush of stored current occurs through the coil primary-breaker point circuit. The voltage can be as high as 250 V due to the turns ratio in the coil. Its known as back EMF (electromotive force). The capacitor is there to protect the points from this 250 volt EMF arking across the contacts, which would erode them in short order. The condenser momentarily stores the energy but acts like a spring, sending current back to the coil. The coil then rebounds sending it back to the condenser again. This "ringing" of electrical energy is disipated after a few cycles but it is enough to throw an inductive tach into a frenzy.

Now a comment on transistorized ignition systems used with breaker points (perfect opportunity). By eliminating mechanical contacts handling this back EMF and using a semiconductor instead, the condenser can be eliminated entirely as the transistor (properly selected) can handle switching this electrical energy with ease. The breaker points now only handle the current necessary to turn the transistor on and off, and this amounts to about one hundredth of the amount of current in the original circuit. As the coil is instantly and rapidly turned off when the transistor opens, no more voltage absorbtion from a capacitor occurs, therefore more energy is imparted in the coil secondary winding (hotter spark) and no circuit ringing occurs. The Tiny Tach should function perfectly without alteration on a transistorized ignition system (I haven't tried it yet but in theory, it should).

I'm sure those guys that are electrical experts could explain all of this better than I and if so, please help.

(Message edited by dkirk on January 19, 2004)

David K: You get an A for the explanation of the workings of a coil and condenser used in the CC. Thanks. I think that is the same theory used with magneto ignitions except they generate their own voltage my having the coil moving through a magnetic field. Most small engine magneto coils use a variation of your electronic ignition that don't need the points.

Dan K. -

To add to what Charlie said, your dealer isn't much, either. Even my closest dealer, who doesn't stock a lot of old parts, ALWAYS has "seasonal" belts in stock...

Art-

From what I have uncovered on the history of the 70 recoil that you became the proud owner of on Saturday. You are the 4th owner, I was the 3rd, the guy that I bought it from was the 2nd and the Austin Country Club was the original owner and it was used to pull gang mower on the greens. Maybe you should build a small golf course at your place and put it to work keeping the greens in shape since it is well expereinced at greens maintenance.

The "rare" seat option was on when I bought it. Along with the paint option. Think it thought it was a DEERE JOHN for awhile.LOL

(Message edited by hsimon on January 19, 2004)

Bryan,
Since I am not using a Cub hour meter, does the wire go from the positive side of the coil to the positive side of the hour meter? The 169 came without the hour meter in it and I got one from work that fits perfectly in the hole. The price was right (free) and I believe it is a Dayco meter.

Wes -

You assume there's markings on the back of the meter
wink.gif

There aren't any markings, thus my burning up of the first one. But at least it worked for a while...

But yeah, I guess that'll work.

Back