• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 16, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
Thanks for the info Mick. It's about what I was thinking too. When it's down in the single numbers any temperate air will be appreciated! I like the idea your friend came up with.

Hey guys,
Quick question for ya’ll, what is the main advantage of duel wheels for a Cub Original? Been throwing around the idea of going to duel wheels on one of my Originals.
Also, I know this was an option from cub cadet, but how common was it to order a Cub with dual wheels?

Justin,
A few advantages would be, traction,stability,and looks.
thumbsup_old.gif

Question about loading tires.... does everyone load tires with washer fluid that have tubes or can you safely load them tubeless? Want to add some weight to the back end of 1872, but tires don’t have tubes in them currently. Does the washer fluid eat the rims over time? Was hoping to save some money if I could do so safely.

Mike, a quick search of the forum using the words tire and bong using the "and" option will turn up plenty of reading on how-to along with photos. I found one post by Steve B., note the last sentence:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The bong has a schrader valve on the top to add air pressure. The brass valve is a bleeder. Bong is made out of 4" PVC (~48"), with glue cap on one end and threaded clean-out on the other. Holds about 2.5 gallons.

Always "seat" the tube by filling it with air, deflating, and re-inflating before adding fluid.

Process:
1) Hook tube to tire (valve stem removed).
2) Remove 4" threaded cap and add 2 gallons of washer fluid to bong.
3) Close cap and apply 3-5 psig ?(NEVER MORE THAN THAT) to bong to push washer fluid into tire/tube.
4) If tire over inflates, bleed pressure from brass valve and start over with 3-5 psig. Usually takes one bleed per gallon.
5) Repeat process until tire is full to point where fluid is just below valve stem at the 12 o'clock position.

IIRC, 8.50 tires take 5-6 gallons (35-48#), 10.50 take 7-8 gallons (50-65#), and 26x12 take 9-10 gallons (60-80#).

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use tubes with fluid (and prefer to use them in all my L&G tires).<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Tire Bong info

More tire bong info

Justin, in addition to what Marty posted, better flotation on soft ground would be another reason to use dual rear tires. However you'd also want wide front tires too, not the narrow types.

Here's a Cub with duals, this one is Mick M's.

Mick, what brand dual rims are those? Or are they home made?

324420.jpg

Home made, just took a wheel and cut the center out, use 4 lengths of all thread and run them thru the holes in the rims ,
do they help with traction and flotation..??
I don't know...I built it coz it looks kinda cool...!!
happy.gif

oh ..forgot to mention. there is a 3 inch spacer welded on the back side of the dual rim

Marty and Kraig,
Thanks for the information. Mike your Cub isure does look cool! And looks like you are in the flat lands!

Kind of what I built them after Michael,
Brian, does coating the inside of the thrower with graphite make a big difference, I have my chute sprayed, was wondering about the rest, I have new paint on the inside of mine and the flighting and that seems to help.

Boy, I like that 2 stage set up Digger, that might be next here on the ranch, run a 20hp v twin behind it and let her thump and blow!!!!

Mike,

I filled my tubed tires with washer fluid in a pump up sprayer.

Matt,

How did that happen?

Dale,

Your 149 slung a wheel off!
err.gif

Back