• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 14, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Doug: I caught that. Also, it's safe to post pics for awhile again.
happy.gif

Dang - it's almost 7pm here on the left coast and Doug hasn't posted if one of those funky U-bolts worked. There's probably couple hundred of us waiting for the answer. Dang I feel the yellar 'n white sakes starting. In the last message Doug told me to look down, so I scrolled to the bottom and checked Geezer's Garage in case he posted there but ain't nothing since Jeff posted about being able to see again. I suppose I should look a little farther down now.

Does anyone know why they redesigned the muffler heat shield. The one on the 122 drops way down as opposed to later ones that don't. Can a later one be used on the 122 without problems?

Doug A., not sure why they changed it but either style should work.

Well seeing how everyone is waiting on the answer to the great u bolt dilemma here it is.............No, the ford drive line bolt doesn't work, still too rounded.

Doug B - now that's a shame. It must be pretty close. Would some heat help round it more flat? Any chance you can post some pics. This is becoming the "Great U-bolt Dilemma".

Harry B. I already sent the bolt kit back this morning with my weekly parts returns, But it wasn't even close. The u hit the frame and the treads weren't long enough. I've got a design figured out that I'll make this weekend and post on Monday

Doug B - well, now what am I going to do with the 2 Ford drive line bolts that been laying in my garage for the last 7 years. They were only used 1 time on that '90 F-150 (1 time = installed for 17 years).
Based on your very accomplished artistic sub-frame work, and your lift rod design work, I'm betting your U-bolt design will be a custom fit. Can't wait for the pics.
Ooh, almost forgot - in your pic showing the lift rod, you have it installed in the lower hole of the lift bracket. I never used that hole before. The Op manual mentions using lower hole for easier lifting, and the upper hole for increased lift range (very interesting what you find in Operator Manuals once you read them over and over again). Once you get the U-bolt dilemma resolved you might try each hole and see what works best for you. The blade never seemed hard to lift to me and I wanted the most "up" range I could get.

Can someone measure the length of the chute turn rod on their qa42. I think mine is not correct, i really have to reach for it.
Also i am missing the holding rod that sits on the quick hitch frame that holds this rod, can someone measure that for me too. I need to make one.
thanks matt

Matt M.
If your going to make one, unhook yours from the thrower, set on the tractor and pull it towards you to where it's comfortable, have someone measure the total length and get after it!
beerchug.gif

Charlie, Matt - the longer you make the chute adjusting rod the more it's going to move up and down when you raise/lower the snow blower. Every time you go to move the chute the rod will be in a different place. The only cure for that is to move the support back to just in front of the handle on the end of the rod. BT-DT.

Dennis, your saying move the support closer to the operator? It does make sense.

Scott T - when I checked the specs on the links that U501 clamp is way to big.

Charlie - you haven't commented on this U-bolt dilemma. I checked your web site and can't find anything close. The CCC sites doesn't show a diagram so I can't get to the part number. I can check my parts book later tonite but wanted to see if you've got them in stock and can settle this for everyone.

Matt - Yes, the handle on the rod could move forward and backward, but the support should be as far back closest to the operator so it moves the least amount.

I did that modification to my QA-36 & #72 most of the years I used it to remove snow.

Denny,
I added 6" to mine, and even with the cab it worked fine.

Harry B.
I personally would take a regular U bolt, heat it up and mash it flat.
biggrin.gif

These Cub are getting older and some parts are not as common as they were back in the day. So you just have to improvise . I bet with a torch lit and an anvil to flatten and ball pean B H reshape to fit. about 10 minutes.

Doug b
You can heat it and pound it flat if it hits . a multi angle swing press will do it lol.

y Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Charlie

greenthumb.gif

I guess this means we agree .

So a guy sends me his NF lift pump to install a new seat of gears. I open it up and find this, LOL
293468.jpg

I call and ask if he wants a new spring, he says nope, what he has works just fine.
biggrin.gif

Back