• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Andrews, not sure what can be mounted on what, but...go back to the home page and go to the bottom and look at "Manuals" section. Dig around, probabily find most or all your answers. But I'm sure a member will answer you also soon.

my 782 appears to be leaking at front crank seal, how hard would it be to change? Second question. If I replaced engine, what's the best option new Kolher or Briggs conversion or is there other options?

Daniel H.-

The seal is pretty easy, you just have to remove the PTO clutch, remove the old seal, and drive in the new one.

A Kohler M18 is an almost direct swap with the addition of a relay in the wiring; I'm not a fan of B&S engines...If you want to go newer, I'd recommend a Kohler Command V-twin. I have one in a 582 and like it. They can sometimes be had cheap from beat-up 2000 series lawn tractors.

WOW, Kraig's now a Co-president here as well as at his day job. <font size="-2">Have you discussed salary with Charlie??
groupwave.gif
</font>

KRAIG - Congrats on your PROMOTION!
beerchug.gif

RYAN M - Yes, the 38" timed 2-blade deck can be put on a 70, but not recommended for a 100. There's a special instruction sheet on how to mount it since it doesn't use the normal mule drive every other Ih deck used. And I think a couple holes had to be drilled in the frame, otherwise everything else bolts up, and you use the std PTO clutch on the 70 instead of the foot control on the timed deck. The reason why using the timed deck on tractors greater than 7-8 HP isn't recommended is because of the short small belt driving the right spindle and the left spindle thru the timing belt. It's real easy to over-power that small belt.

On the main page there's a forum for MANUALS, not sure but the instruction sheet might be in there.

Congratulations Kraig,i know when i restored my 100,i had questions and he had the pictures,also sent him a few of the tricycle front end i fabricated for it.Kraig is a good asset to the cub community!Vern

Kraig, I haven't posted much here, but have been following for some time. I am very happy to here this, as you always seem to be very helpful. Congrats.

KennyP

Kraig, congrats!!

Does this mean it's a "Democracy of Three" now?
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif

--Daniel: I own a 782 that received a 16 HP B&S replacement before I got it. The B&S died and I've just replaced it with a Kohler Magnum 18. The Kohler engine is a MUCH sturdier unit than the B&S. Before I dropped it in, I checked the valve clearances on the M18 and they still met the factory specs. (The engine was built in 1991.) I doubt you could find a B&S is similar condition.

I spent $500 on an old Sears tractor to get the M18. A new KT17 Series II was priced at $2,100; a new B&S unit with overhead valves to replace the 16 HP twin was $1,400, but it just didn't seem as sturdy to me.

I recommend the Kohler Magnum 18 any way you can get it.

Kraig
I knew this day was coming,I`am glad that you are now recognized for your efforts . You will make a great moderator I`am sure.Your dedication to this site over the years has been stellar I think.
worthy.gif
worthy.gif

I`am thinking Charlie made a great choice in asking you to be a moderator on here as this will make this site " great" .

( oh no he can
poof.gif
me now lol)

You REALLY want to know what's funny!

Kraig has been a moderator since 2009!
clappy.gif

Man, you guys are on the ball ain't ya.
biggrin.gif

Dennis-thanks for the info. Does anybody have a pdf manual on mounting an Original deck to a 70?

Thanks Allen,
I have the original sub frame mounted to the blade I just need to find out if I should run the lift rod internal or external of the frame?
Any pictures would be great!
Thank you

PS Congrates Kraig you are truly an asset to US!!! Thanks for your time!

For now I plan on leaving it be. Got a call on a 10hp out of a 105 I plan to call back tom. Love to have it!!

Reason I bought the 105 was for the 14hp Kohler. I need one to restore a Case 224. I'm looking into seeing if I can use this 14hp on the Case. There are some differences. I think its new enough too. Shoot for 200 bucks couldn't pass it up. Don't think I could get a nice 14hp for that. If I can get the original 105 engine then I can put it back original which will be even better. If not I have a 12hp I can fix up and drop in later until I get a 10. I heard the 105s are hard to find and the first 10hp Hydrostatic.

I see you all were talking Briggs vers Kohler. I use to work at Briggs. The only Briggs I like is the older Vanguard. They were tough engines. Now they are gonna make them cheeper. The older ones were made in Japan by one of the car compines for Briggs. I have a new in the box 18hp Vanguard. I really like the K series Kohlars. They were a tough engine.

Thanks all! Yep, been a behind the scenes moderator for quite some time. My favorite thing is the no size limit on posting photos.
bouncy.gif
Although the
poof.gif
button is fun to play with... I've been careful to not use it too much. What's that line about power corrupting...
devil2.gif
I prefer to be an
angel.gif
so after some initial over enthusiastic use of the
poof.gif
button, I've, well, moderated.
happy.gif

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

Some of us have read between the lines . Was Kraig on probation since 2009 ? or just doing the job with out the job made official.?

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I attempted to change the SORRY CHARLIE to SORRY KRAIG lol ,but I could not with my limited confuser skills.
lurking.gif

Don, no probation. I've had one of these since 2009.

219356.jpg

We go a few inches of snow over the weekend and I used my new snowthrower (QA36A) I bought last week and that I posted pictures of. The guy I bought it from said it would work like new and he was right? It would work better with more than 3 inches of snow, but it worked great anyway! We are supposed to get 3-6 inches tomorrow so hopefully I can put it to the test again. I really want 1-2 FEET!
biggrin.gif
I put a newer seat on it this weekend to but it is not shown in the picture. The seat I put on is an original seat that is in MINT condition.

219360.jpg

Back