• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 05, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
chains and ags....

I never said chains on ags were better than chains on turfs....I said that summer ags chained up in the winter give you the best overall combination (for those who want one single all-around do-everything machine on one set of tires).

Chains on turfs are more effective than on ags....that's obvious, the chain can't go anywhere.....BUT, if you slide over to the MTD page and look at my "Cat 0 38" Tiller" thread you will see multiple angles of my 26" Tru-Power ags with 26" 2 link chains installed.......you are not loosing too much running chains on ags, they still bite across most of the lug area.

Chains specifically designed for ag tires look like the ones posted a vew days back with the "X" pattern cross chains. These keep the chain laid out across the lugs at all times (common on big tractors where changing tire styles for chains isn't possible).

That said, our 65hp loader tractor (IH 684 with 2250 loader.....Art's Plow Special rescue vehicle
happy.gif
happy.gif
) runs std. straight linked chains on ag tires. Next to USELESS on snow and ice without them....push up great big piles with them, so they can't be a horrible combination and are definately much more effective than rubber vs. snow.

To rephrase my earlier post....ags/ATVs MAY work OK for you in your situation.....BUT they WILL work much better chained up in winter conditions......there is no "works just as good as" in this case....you are just willing to trade performance for concrete scratches
happy.gif
happy.gif

I need to start doing my dance to the snow gods- anxious for some seat time again.

Quick question: I've only seen pics of 169 tractors with an hour meter and that was on the left side of the tractor. Were hour meters offered on any other 1x9 models, were these hour meters standard, factory option or dealer installed option?

I got the 122 running a couple of days ago, had to use the starter/generator off of the 127. The 122 SG had some rust inside on the armature and the fields. It doesn't knock and the pto isn't rattling, it has the 3 springs.

Run the turfs and chains year round (original tires all the way round, too)... Too lazy to pull 'em off...

Anyone try those rubber tire chains. I know there expensive. They are chain on the outside and rubber straps go over the tire like a chain would. I'm not sold on them simply because if you start spinning on concrete how long will it last before they break.

I don't think the rubber chain belts would be any different than lugs on an ag tire......still want chains......

Jim,

Thanks for the info, I couldn't see how it could fall either as long as the arm was tight on the shaft. Let me understand what you said to fix your problem. Was not the governor arm tight on the shaft? Was all the governor parts inside the engine okay?

My choice for snow removal is chains on turfs, but to be fair I have never tried chains on my ags. I did try 10.50 ags without chains a few years ago with maybe 100lb of wheel weights and found on my concrete approach area and even some on my gravel I would spin. Last year I had 180lb of wheel weights and 30lb on my hitch with 10.50's & chains + my 180lb - I was just wishing for snow to test it out. I don't think we ever got more than 7" at a time.
My real "solution" to turfs vs ags is as follows:
Have a tractor for each job! I know many of you subscribe to this philosophy.
104 - Chains stay on year round, but so does blade. Very rarely gets run in grass.
72 - 6" ags 50 lbs wt for looks as it only pulls yard cart.
125 - 8.50 ags / 90 lb wheel of wts for tiller. Tiller used to swap time with plow. disk, cultivator, but now I added a second tractor with lift so now tiller stays on.
147 - 10.50 Ags / 50 lb of wheel wts- new one for plow, disk & cultivator.
782 - mower only comes off for maintenance.
Spirit - has factory blade. Will use for next snow, for the first time, w/ chains & about 50 lb on a wt rack on back. Back up for the 104 just for fun.
122 - clutch out of it right now. Has factory weight box on it as it was my former snow tractor w 10.50 turfs and chains. May just be for putting around when I get back together, or be a back up mower.
Recently aquired 1200 will be a few years to get it running but will likely have pincor generator mounted.
I have been fortunate to find some tractors cheap and was also able to convince my wife changing implements was a pain... and the hobby of "collecting" CC's is way cheaper than many others.
Not that I have that many, but it does seem like I have to constantly tinker on my beaters to keep them running. Enjoy it though.

Jeff B - I guess this thread is called the IH Cub Cadet Forum, and it's listed under the IH Cub Cadet Forum on the International Harvester Cub Cadet Forum.

Bill "QQ" J - on the 1x8/9 series, only the 169 had the hour meter as a standard factory installed feature.

Edward "Hot Rod" Lincoln - glad to hear the 122 runs. Did you already decarbon the head and have a look at those inerds?

Now, Harry, you know that that's a "maintenence minder", not an hour meter. BTW, when I unhooked mine I was kind of surprised to see it got it's power from the + side of the coil. Looked factory to me, and made for a pretty short piece of wire.
happy.gif

OK ; what`s up with Denny ???????? I miss his postings because they were always a good read.
1a_scratchhead.gif

DON - I'm still here... just not posting since everybody seems to want to argue about things.

GERRY - I asked Dad once how long it took him to mount the tire chains on his FARMALL M because it always took me about an hour per chain to put the chains on the Super H and I knew there had to be a better way. He said, "Don't know, I put them on over 20 yrs ago and have NEVER taken them off." He ran chains on a couple of his mowing CC's year-round too. What I find tears up grass is spinning the tires due to lack of traction. Even a spinning/slipping turf tire will tear up the grass. Ag lugs or chains stop that spinning, and if you're leaving depressions in the ground while you're mowing I bet the grass is too wet to mow too. So use a push mower.

CHRIS, STEVE - First set of "chains" I used on the 72 when I first got the QA-36 had plastic cross bars with two little tungsten carbide studs like studded tires used, and nylon side belts. They were about half the price of steel 2-link chains. They were by far better than nothing but Chris is exactly right, the plastic cross bars wore at a high rate if you spun the tires. They lasted about two years, and no repairing them like steel chains, plus the studs still scratched my concrete. I suspect the TERRAGRIP chains would be just a different version of the same thing.

My Buddy pushes a lot of snow with his 4WD ATV, think his blade is 60" wide, and 15" or so tall, and he pushes up piles that roll right over the top of the blade and he says he's never even spun a tire on his concrete drive. The softer rubber compound must improve traction, but I bet they wear really fast.

I've got a pair of Firestone WINTERFORCE tires out in the shop for my car that would probably fit on my CC 70 for pushing snow, they're the Firestone version of the Bridgestone Blizzak, only made with slightly harder rubber for longer wear. But they're 205R60 x 16's so need different wheels to fit on a CC. They would possibly be better at pushing snow than a plain turf tire, but my experience is that once you spin a tire with no chains even a quarter of a turn you create ICE under the tire and without chains you're stuck.

Just do a search on Winter tire traction on Google or Bing and the results of tire testing for tractive effort is out there. Probably posted as stopping distance. Chains always win.

CHARLIE - I slept thru the Packers/Vikings game last night so I'm good to go today.
wink.gif

The saga continues on the "Big Bearing 169"...
happy.gif

Got the fender pan pulled off:

251804.jpg

<font size="-2">Who's idea was it to hold down the footplates with (rusty) phillips-head cap screws?!?!?!?</font>
bash.gif

Looks like somebody was storing some extra "fiber" for a later date!
251805.jpg

The trunion actually doesn't look THAT bad.
251806.jpg

A few shots with the <font color="0000ff">BLUE BUZZ BOX</font> should get it back into shape.

Now I'm just waiting on a "nice" day so I can roll this beast outside to powerwash all of the crap off.

More to come............

Home of the Plow Special

Art ; wow how do you work on that tractor !
1a_scratchhead.gif
you need more room to work.

Denny ; ( just not posting since everybody seems to want to argue about things) I say puck em : some people live to argue . there loss , I would not let that get to you. Some thing just can`t be fixed in people .

On the chain tire debate ; I have tried chains and ags and did not like them . I found turf tires and chains to work the best , but they mark up my paved drive. I use my atv to blade snow mostly and it does not ever spin with it in 2x4 . I hardly ever need to put it in 4x4 to blade snow.I think the positive traction plays a big part in that. I would love to have a lockable diff in a cub . I think that would make them even better and they would need less weight to do any task ,but it would need to be unlocked for some jobs. You would not need a locking dif for some jobs and it would tear up the lawn to much. I see my ATV makes a mess out of my lawn when turning .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Back