• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 05, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith E. -

Perhaps you need this...

14961.jpg

Sorry it's all wrinkled, but it was just jammed in the box. Ya don't complain when ya get an NOS 3-point kit for $10
wink.gif

Bryan,
eek.gif
$10.00!!!
eek.gif

(Message edited by thoffman on January 06, 2004)

Tom -

Old story - surely you remember the pile of 3-points at Helm...

Richard Christensen-
Briliant, simply fantastic idea and execution of design. Personally, I think it's patentable and if you need to get together any drawings or blueprints I'll be glad to help any way you'd need. I've just finished installing Pro/ENGINEER 2001 on my home computer to do some contract design for another company, and some of my own stuff.

Paul-
Carter & Gruenwald carries IH Blue paint. I was in a pinch and used new, New Holland blue, it's a little darker than Ford blue, their spray cans apply quite nicely.

Marlin-
Tell me more about this museum at Strawberry Point, I might have to go. It's bound to be better than the tractor display in Froelich which attracts all the two-cylinder folks. (not that it's not that bad, it's just that people claim that because Deere bought the company that made the first bi-directional THEY invented that darn thing)

Tom -

Pile of them up behind his Original. They're long gone, probably about 2 years now...

OH, I never mentioned the new job. It's GREAT. Instead of sneaking a peak of the tool catalog at break, it's pure joy to work on the crowning jewels of tool catalogs!!!

Hi everyone: Okay here is what I've received back for a reply on the Little Genius plow color scheme. I am going to send to Kraig and Paul the document that lists the chart they sent me. Stinker our kitty screwed up something on the computer when I was transferring the attachment to my document stuff so now I can't do anything with it. If anyone wants me to forward a copy let me know and I will try to send them one also.
Dear Sir:

FYI, our production records indicate that the #8 Little Genius began production ca. 1927. As such, it would have fallen under the Red, White and Blue Paint Scheme. Our Paint Committee Decisions are now online at: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/paint/. Search for plows and consult decision no. 41, p. 6. Attached below is a listing of modern paint matches to IHC colors. Unfortunately we do not have a listing for the cream color used. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Sincerely,

Daniel Hartwig
Archival Assistant
McCormick-IH Collection
Wisconsin Historical Society

Wyatt. When I got married in 1974 on the way back from our honeymoon I got my then new bride to let me stop at Everitt and Sons Salvage Yard just outside Strawberry Point. The tour guide was a 74 yr young gentleman. As he took us through this machine shed "museum" at almost every piece of equipment he told us the story behind each piece of machinery. How Mr. Everitt had acquired some of the pieces of different eqiupment and how on one John Deere manure spreader he wrote to John Deere to get the correct color of what I call JD Pink or off red to repaint that critter. The museum opens around the first of April or May and closes in October. The machinery was many different tractors and unique pieces of equipment. Oh by the way... my wife had to tell everyone how I had to stop along the way to check out old tractors and other equipment I had spotted while on the honeymoon. Needless to say the new in laws as well as my family thought I was a little more than "strange". Now with my interest in Cub Cadets they just figure the "Old Man" is getting childish..(even the ex-in laws.)

Well cubbers, the wonders never cease. I was in the neighborhood of the local cub emporium (Case-IH), so stopped by to get those brake pads I've been wanting/needing for the 106. The parts man looked em up, found em on the shelf, showed em to me and said "$74.98, wow, I'm surprised they aren't more than that!" I thought he was joking - 4 brake pads (the manual makes it look like only 2 are needed) 4 springs, and 12 +/- brass rivets - $74.98!!!!!!!!!!!! I can get the parts and have them installed on my pick up for that!!!!!!!!
I am glad they are available, but decided to ask you all about alternatives. I do believe I need the pads - one side of the brakes "sticks" when the clutch/brake pedal is depressed. If I reach under and push the lever, it pops out and releases. If I don't do that, that side drags and heats up. The disc on that side is shiny, on the other side dull -- there is a definite sticking/dragging problem.
Frank M suggested the pad on that side is so worn it over-centers the lever, then has to be pushed back to release. Does that make sense to you / fit in with your experiences? It makes sense to me, I just don't have any experience to fall back on. What else could it be? Are there aftermarket brake pads / springs / etc, for this cub?
Help!!

Hey Travis I got a M&W turbo maybe for the Smoker.It makes a nice shelf piece I think it came off a green machine.It has the same logo as the M&W 9 speed trans,early 60's
14964.jpg
14965.jpg
14966.jpg

Charles M. -

One note about price that we trot out every so often.

Go to a local car dealer. Doesn't matter which brand. Ask them for a part for a 40 year old car. After the parts guy gets up off the floor from laughing, well, you get the idea...

We're quite lucky that MTD provides these parts for 40 year old garden tractors at all, regardless of price. I can assure you that once they decide that having a job shop make one or two dozen brake pads a year is no longer profitable (ie, nobody buys them), they will make them NLA. That $75 will look pretty damn good compared with the $200 that NLA ones will fetch on eBay.
wink.gif

That said, folks have tried relining their own with varying success, I believe someone even tried lining them with aluminum. I believe KENtucky had a mail-in biz where one would send him the pads and he'd reline them for you, I don't know if he's still setup to do that or not.

One addition to what Bryan is saying. Look how long a set of brake pads last, 20+ years. There is not a lot of turnover in the invantory, so the cost is higher than say a Chevy or Ford brake pad. Supply and demand is a tricky thing.

Bryan,
Thanks for the comments. I agree completely -- we've got to buy from them or they will stop making parts altogether. And, the cost of inventory-ing low volume parts is probably more than the cost of materials, etc. It was just that my cub time for yesterday was shocking! I will get them eventually, but given the cost, it will be closer to when I actually can install them.

Bryan and Tom -

I can top that one. Way back about 6 years ago I got a NOS WF 3pt kit, COMPLETE with tattered wrinkly installation instructions, for $5 at a garage sale from an older gent who was selling out to move himself and his 149 to a smaller acreage. Said he never needed the 3pt. Not surprisingly, I didn't take the $400 QA42-A he was also peddling! This deal helped me catch the yellar fever BAD. I ended up trading the 3pt for some wheelweights.

Shoulda kept that 3pt for my 800, but at the time I never thought I'd venture into wideframes. Then I met Mr. Aytay, a true-bluestripe "wideframer."

Craig, yes, but you did get Art to buy an Original!

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on January 07, 2004)

How many more posts until this photo laden page goes to archive?

Kraig -

Well, who posted most of those pics in the first place?

Well, at least he didn't post about 50 on the WFM Sping Break page and use a moderators work-around to leave tham at high res!
bazooka.gif

lazerburn.gif

(Message edited by aaytay on January 07, 2004)

(Message edited by aaytay on January 07, 2004)

Back