• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 03, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Hey hey.. 3:30 this morning.. got to try out the Cub.
Snow started heavy last night so we got up early to get the driveway cleared and get ourselves off to Work (wife had to be in at 6:00) This was my maiden voyage pushing snow with Tug. I absolutely need to change the trani/hydraulic oil. Tug took 15 minutes at 30% throttle, in 17 degree temps for the hydraulics to start to work didn't even try to move forward.. As a Newbie; here was my thoughts. Plowed with the 42 at about 30% throttle. Plenty of power/push. Backing up over some 6" packed snow lost traction. Even with Chains,1 set of Wheel weights and 75lbs on the rear hitch. What surprised me was the side slide when pushing such light snow. It seemed to happened at slow speeds.. granted the Plow FULL and slightly angled.
All in all, had much fun, didn't even notice how cold and windy it was. Wind was howling. The plan of attack didn't go as planned, like everything else, I will work out the efficient way of doing it. When I get home from Work I will do some cleanup.. maybe get some pics then. Too dark this morning and I was in a bit of a rush to get done and get on the Road. Wife came to teh window to give me the thumbs up a few times. she's no dummy, she knew I was luv'n it.
Mabe a bit of front weight and a Rear axle clean out and new fluid and Tug will respond in less that 15 minutes when temps are low.

If all else fails, try putting insulated coveralls on the bulldog.
happy.gif

Tony,
sounds like you might have the incorrect filter on it, as a filter designed for the pressure side won't work until it warms up on the hydraulic side. BTDT... A hydro, with the correct filter and Hy-Tran will work fine at that temp...

6 below here this AM. The walk-behind's recoil pulled out once, and wouldn.t return... Grrr. had to unplug the x-mas lights to run the cord to the electric start. Dang nose hairs froze.

I know, Charlie, -6 degf is warm to you... I want my cub back. Haven't had time to work on it lately.
ihrotate.gif

For now the poor thing is out in the weather. it has a , dare I say it, John Deere cover on it.. but it doesn't reach the ground. I'm thinking about a putting a 40W light bulb under the trani. the night before I need to use it.
Do not know the condition of the Rear Fluid. It runs perfect when temps are above freezing. Learning that old fluid can collect much moisture. maybe frozen gack in the filter is an issue. Wish I could get a Gasket local, I would pull the rear plate, drain, clean and replace the fluid with new, like, this weekend. When I got this. I got it running for $0 and I put in a new home made harness for $0 and I greased all the linkage. After evaluating the basic health of this Cub, I was then going to spend money on it. It started right up in the cold so that's a plus..It is time to move foward and put some $$ into it. Next would absolutely be fluid change. The filter is not CUB but I remember looking at the part number, it was a cross. so I'm guessing very old fluid.

Scott, good point.

Tony, for a look at the insides of some various brands of Hydro Filters that are supposed to cross as substitutes for use on the Cub Cadet CLICK HERE AND SCROLL DOWN

Tony,
I'll bet it has something other than a HYTRAN type oil in it AND a incorrect trans filter on it. It probably has some sort of motor oil in there.

For right now I'd drain the oil, get the right Hydro oil in it and get a correct trans filter.

Dennis,
Working at the airport is a Union thing.

Swapped the blade for the thrower and got the driveway done. Temps are in the single numbers and I lost my fingers and toes... News says we got 8 to 10 inches but with the wind at 30 and gusting to 50 or 60 there are some nasty drifts and makes me wish I spent some time getting the windbreakers fixed and installed.

After lunch I'll try and do some more and maybe even get the neighbors done... Good thing I'm on vacation huh??
wink.gif

-4 here and just got in from widening out the drive with the thrower. Toasty warm in the Carhartts.
cool.gif

Kraig, thanks for the info.

Would I be better off with a spring assist on the 122? Mostly I run the blade but I do have a IH 3pt on the back with no attachments yet.

Lucas, glad to help. I'll let others answer your query as I don't currently have a hydraulic lift, a spring assist or a blade on any of my Cub Cadets. I do have a couple of spring assists but they are not mounted onto any Cubs, yet.

Mike F: for your toes... Muck Boots. Arctic Sport or Arctic Pro they have sales from time to time. For Slip-ons they fit better then you would thin. For warmth.. They are fantastic. For rest of the Body, year Insulated coveralls. even the inexpensive ones at Walmart are better then however you try to layer up. When I snow blow, I use this little red number in the picture. Between the boots and this overall, I come in soaked from sweat even today at 15 degrees F.
266261.jpg

266262.jpg

I agree- enough and the right layers keeps me toasty pushing snow. No cab/breaker required.

Well we go some snow ; It was knee deep in places and wast deep about 8' wide where the highway truck pushed the snow off the main road.I had to use my walk behind snow blower to move this lot. I will be glad when my 1512 has the Cab installed .

266267.jpg

There a lot of local floods because of the extra high tides. The town of Liverpool is flooded and cottages at the beach also.

266268.jpg

Whille I thank you all for the tips on staying warm... my biggest problem is a heart damaged after an attack some 4 years ago and now has an output of about 35%... I just cannot manage a lot of circulation so my toes and fingers get cold and painful long before the rest of me. I had a tee shirt on that was soaked in sweat also, my layers of lined pants and sweat shirt and heavy jacket serve me well.. I also find mittens better than gloves.

After lunch I went back at it and finished my sidewalks and driveway as well as those of my neighbors. I was covered in snow head to toe and as always, my feet and fingers suffer. It just sucks to get old sometimes!
1a_violin.gif

Mike-

I think it's amazing to hear you do what you do with a 35% cardiac output.

Take care of yourself and remember, it's damn hard to warm sweat.

Dennis F. Yeppper... Even with glasses my eye didn't notice that.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I'm happy tonight. This afternoon when I arrived home a gentleman that had purchased some Cub stuff a few years ago stopped by and was wanting to purchase the parts 127. I threw in a bunch of extra freebies for him. He left with the 127 and extras and Angel & I made $75.00 The BEST news is that he's going to totally rebuild the 127.
happy.gif

Mike F. For heaven's sake... Take care of yourself and take things slow. I'm learning to do that also.

Tony.H ,,,very nice plow unit
carharts due me good

YES and I won't let my cariologist see this site! ROFL! He wants to stick some box in me but I ain't having it.

If I can find some of those mickey mouse shoes you inflate with air, I think it'll go along way to keep my piggies toasty!!

In the afternoon session, I was pushing the mess back left from the plows and was stacking it higher and higher until all I could see on one side was snow over the tires! It was rubbing on the air filter housing until the back tire would break the overhang off with the chains. Now I can see the need for the drift cutters so I'll have to make some up.

With the Temps so low I couldn't talk the wife into getting some pics and I also noticed nothing was melting, even where I spread some salt.

Lucas I think you will like a spring assist. I use tractors for plowing, mowing, tilling and front blading and find the assist very helpful. My lawn is pretty rough so I use a assist mowing so the deck don't scalp the ground as bad during turns. Just my 02c

Back