• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys ; sorry to make this thread go off topic .
worthy.gif

Nic, I'll make some comments about mowing on the right of way ...R/W & weight/balance over in proper topic>>>> since I've never pulled. But started watching pulls when a teenager in '60's with step-on pulling sleds. A blonde on a Farmall 656 Diesel pulling the sled was the object of a teenage crush!
Shift.gif

Hey Paul, under what topic did you put your R/W mowing comments. I can't find it anywhere?

Nic, sorry I had a 200 mile or so road trip up north to see my wife's grade school friend on his Birthday . He's been surviving multiple surgeries to his GI tract the past 17 months. With every time (docs) they think have it right, he can't heal & he's on a Very restricted diet... Has to wait to heal, but the body can only tolerate so much! ....... Any thoughts & Prayers for Denis S. are appreciated. Nic, I'll go to "Of Topic Tractors" & try to recall my years riding the slopes.
Shift.gif

Hi I'm replacing my clutch on a 122 has anyone run an aluminum disc just curious about if it has any slip thanks

Aluminum clutches do not slip - they grab immediately, I would NOT recommend them for a daily driver, for pullers they are fine. I had one on a puller and it worked perfect. Make sure you true up both clutch plates.

So there's absolutely no slipping whatsoever ?machine is going to be used for heavy yard work and weekend pulling what would you recommend ? I ordered an aluminum disc and cultivator spring through Brian Miller already

Chris, there's plenty written about the Aluminum clutch disc on Cub Cadets on the internet, you can search and find or figure out if its what will work for you. You've mentioned Miller's website, he has a partial solution written up on how to help an aluminum clutch not be so jerky.

Aluminum and metal just don't slide so well against each other.

The 122 in the attached photo has been Dynoed at 29hp when we were pulling. This has a standard clutch disc, standard spring, both clutch plates trued, and 1 or 2 machine bushings(spacers) in line squishing the spring a bit more. Now all that happens is the teaser spring fails. I will be changing this to a new Kelvar clutch and removing a machine bushing some day.
This pic is fron the Arkansas WI Plow Day in 2011, I figured it weighed approx 1600 pounds with me on it.
255686.jpg

Here it is in a 950 pound class in 2007
255687.jpg

Chris, a stock clutch disc works just fine for a stock puller. The key is to turn the pressure plates and get them flat. What happens to the plates is over time is the spring pushes on the center of the plates and the clutch disc contacts on the outside edge. The plate gets convex and starts to contact the disc only on the inside edge limiting the amount grab it can have. I hope that makes sense.

Randy

Vincent what do you like better the skiny duals or the fat singles?

Building another stock 10HP puller...Made a deal with a friend on this 100, today, to use as my base. At some point, the left frame-rail was cut to accommodate a larger engine, but the engine was never installed. Got a K241 that's awaiting a complete rebuild that I plan to drop in, but since the frame has been modified, I always have the option of going into a larger class if I desire...

256478.jpg

Jeff - the duals were on from a Plow Day in Arkansas, WI. I had the left Dual on while Plowing them when I decided to pull the sled I put on the right dual. This pic was from the fall of 2011. The Duals worked great! I out pulled everything except a couple Super Garden Tractors and Glenn Peterson's Articulating Deere.

Last fall, 2012, the duals failed to help me - the ground was Very Hard and I spun out on top each time I pulled. My dad's 104 with 10.5 rear ags outpulled me for he had more traction per square inch.

I don't think duals are allowed in competitive pulling.

Can you pulling guys please give me some advice what a K301 block is going for? It's currently a 10hp, but has the thick webbing. a local puller guy said he wants the block to build, but neither of us really know what the "going rate" is for a good bare block. Thanks!

John B. I'd toss a $100 bucks out there and if he bites. If his eyes pop out of his head, see what he was thinking and find a middle... Only sell it if you really don't need it. Their not making any more of them.

Alright guys - have a fresh stock 14 hp in a 147. Son-in-law just bought a stock JD 317 and says he can out pull me any day. I'm assuming he can but am curious nonetheless. Any thoughts?

Charlie - that's what I figured. Gonna have to come up with a plan. Need some sort of "sleeper" tractor! He's a great guy but I WILL kick his butt - somehow, some way!!

Ok, I'm curious why/how the 317 would out pull terrys 147? I don't know much about the green kind. I have witnessed a 110 pull around a 782. That was a sight, buddy that owned the 782 was utterly beside himself.

Joe S.
IF, everything was close top equal, the 147 could do it hands down. But they are not.
The green thing weighs more, bigger engine, wider tires, longer wheel base and the list goes on.
They also had the Onan P218G engine and later, put the KT17 Series II engine in them.

Weigh the 147 up the same and it would be a horse race, LOL

Terry - unfortunately Charlie is right, again...

That green thing probably has a higher hitch height versus the 147 too.

Fill your 147 rear tires with windshield washer fluid, and of course don't tell your son-in-law you've done this. The box under your seat - fill it with bits of steel, by doing both of these thing you may add a couple hundred pounds. It may help.

Latest posts

Back