• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 28, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis, don't plan on any mower racing. Like the 108 just the way it is. Even without a "do-hickie flapper", Greg. Got enough "do-hickies" with the Varidrive. Now my hydro tractor, I'm not sure about yet, as I am still getting it going, which is a two speed hydro. That may prove to be interesting.

KennyP

Timothy-

Cleaning the carbon from the top of the engine is a thing needed periodically. On my finds I routinely remove the head, clean valves, remove carbon, reflatten the head, and use a new head gasket. I even clean the head bolts and chase the bolt holes. It's almost always needed and makes for a good start in getting a tractor back "on it's tires". These tractor finds that have been sitting for years probably needed servicing long before they were parked. The 147 I recently acquired had been sitting under a shed roof since 1995. It still looks good but I plan to do the above mentioned engine work (plus the grenade gears) among other things. The carb is a no brainer and always needs going through as well as the points/ignition system. Long story short, by doing these things at the start one knows pretty much where he stands in getting the tractor ready for work or whatever and makes troubleshooting easier by elimination. And don't forget to retorque the head bolts after a good warm up.

Hope this helps....that'll be .02 please.

Dennis
Just for grins, the land speed record for a riding lawnmower is 96.5 MPH. Hard to imagine!

I went to order a new connecting rod for my K321 and there were two diffrent rods listed for my s/n, one had a longer dipper rod. Is this for a Kohler application other than cub cadet, or are there diffrent oil pans that go to this engine??

thanks wayne, I look forward to getting my parts and getting her back together.

JERRY - That lawn mower must not have had half a turn of play in the steering!
Shift.gif

What a mes I got here this am. Weather guessers said last night we would get 4 to 6" of snow and then rain all night. So I did not go out to clean the drive. They said we would be above freezing today. Man were they wrong
bash.gif
.I did scrape the drive way and we got 3" of ice now and temps well below freezing.They should get paid only when they get it right lol. Have a great day !

Whenever I replace a head I have a procedure where I chase the threads in the block and clean up the head bolts. When it goes back together I torque the head bolts, start the engine and let it run for a good 30 minutes. Let it cool over night then retorque the bolts, run it another 30 minutes and then let it cool down over night. After 2 or three times the bolts hold the torque values pretty good.

The last time I redid an engine I replaced the head bolts with new grade 8 bolts. I torqued the bolts and did my usual checks but the torque values never changed. Every time I recheck, the torque values are the same.

I never realized the old head bolts were that bad. From now on I am going to replace the head bolts any time I have a head off an old Cub.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
thumbsup.gif

I recently acquired an IH Cub Cadet 127 with hydrostatic drive. It may ave not run for a few years but was stored indoors. I have engine running perfectly. I let transmission warm up for 10 min. I was able to get tractor to move forward but no reverse. Then transmission control lever locked up and I cannot move it in either direction when engine is running. Any uggestions to resolve problem?

Gary Hergert

That could be a simple fix. Might be the hydro release valve stuck. I would go to the FAQ and read up on hydro adjust. You will have it moving in no time . Have a look here for the info http://cubfaq.com/questions.html

Back